Problems with BFG ATs?

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
When I first got into 4-wheeling around the early '80s, scouting out near 100 year old oil well sites in the jungles of Borneo, I drove a late '70s 40 series with BFGs and never had problems. Probably cause there wasn't much for rocks around, only the reddish, sandy, dirt jungle floor mat. Hence never had any problems with the tires other than we got stuck plenty in the monsoon muds, kinda like the Camel Trophy in 1985 also located there and I participate in as a volunteer in logistics/formalities coordination.

Since then, my off-roading adventures has taken me to numerous other crannies of the world (Oman, Tunisia, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Thailand, China, et al.) and found BFGs on most 4x4 vehicles. Again, no problems other than what was expected - the obligatory traditional flats.

However, when I came back from N. Africa in 2000 and got back into the foray of 4x4s here in Kanukistan, I eventually got NOMAD in December 2005 and she came with Japanese shoes. I quickly up graded her to a well used but greater than 50% left, 4 BFG ATs size 32x11.5x15 shoes. With no spare, except an old JDM, I thought I would buy a new equal whilst in Bakersfield (Oxy) visiting a chum from Kuwait. The shoe was cheaper there and I was soon off for my solo circumnavigation of Baja in 6 weeks. Not one flat or puncture the entire 6800 kms!

Next trip with the same shoes, was on my annual father/son trip to DV Nov 07. Before we left, we rotated the tires so the new shoe was now the rear right. On our trip south a mere 5 hours and about 500 kliks into it, we had a flat. When inspected, the tire had a 12" slash/gash on the inside sidewall on the right rear - the new shoe! Bless Allāh, I kept the receipt from CA. We lashed it to the the triple jerry can fuel carrier and off we went in search for a replacement. Next stop was a Wal-Mart in Pocatello, ID, but no BFG close to the size I had, so we got a cheapy spare Uniroyal Liberator AT 31x10.5x15 and off we went. With the fluff/pimples still on this one, it is now for sale!

Glad I got the spare replaced, cause upon our exist of dirt/gravel roads at Ubehebe Crater, we heard the hissing as soon as we hit blacktop and had to change the left rear shoe. Got that flat fixed on the way home in Twin Falls, ID - still carrying the slashed BFG.

When I got home I contacted BFG USA and they said they didn't need to see the tire or a photo (we trust you) of the gash and they said email the old and new receipts and we'll pay for 75%. Good deal and I was back to square one - 4 old 32x11.5x15 and a new spare to match.

FF to next trip south, my marathon multi-trail, Indian sites, friend visiting, Barrancas Del Cobre, south side of Laguna Chapala - MX, El Camino, SnT08 and DV (annual father/son trip) over 2.5 months trip. Again, before I left, the tires where rotated with the new shoe on the right rear. Again, less than 5000 kliks, the new shoe went flat. This time, I didn't carry it back and took photos of it. It had a flap the size of your hand in the tread! Wires hangin out and a hole you could fit a tennis ball through.

Upon getting home, I again called BGF USA and got the run-around as they need to see the entire itself; unlike last time (what - you don't trust me anymore?). I called customer service and gave them the run-around about my run-around and a kool guy said OK one last time but no more! and paid 100% this time!

So what's the point of this marathon story you may well ask? I have been a Diehard© (no, not a Sear's poncho) of BGF tires for close to 30 years.

On that same marathon trip, I did the Kokopelli Trail with Greg (Fruita, CO) and he got a 2" gash in his outside left rear sidewall BFG AT going down Rose Garden Hill, a portion of the trail known to eat shoes. I get a recent email from him and he again had a flat in his new BFG by a gash.

Hmmmm wondering if there is a trend, a pattern developing here. Is the factory having problems with quality control or what?

Has anyone else had an inordinate amount of shoe problems with BFGs, unlike the normal flat which a patch or plug can fix. I am wondering if my next set of shoes will be BFGs or some one else's? Your thoughts/comments/stories much appreciated.

Oh...BTW...I recently replaced the still good, old 32x11.5s with 4 33x10.5 near new ones with rims for $240 Kanuk buks and bought a new spare to match from the buks BFG sent. Hope they do better this time, cause if not, I am done with BFGs...hmmmmm what's next?

Momrocks

Adventurer
I have had three sets of BFG in the last 15 years with near perfect results. I had one that had a belt give out but the entire tire was worn past the point of replacement. I have gotten long life from them, the sidewalls have been sturdy and held up well to low pressures. The MPG is noticably better than the BFG MTRs I currently run on the Scout II and Cherokee. I love them.

H

Hank

Luck of the draw, I guess.

Heavy truck + high PSI = a flat. Not saying that's your case, though....

However, BFG has redesigned the MT and the AT. I have not looked to see if the new AT is available, yet. But, if you've got the ol skool BFG AT's, you better snatch up some spares while you still can.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Ya, that may have been it.

NOMAD weighs in at about 6000lbs when she is loaded for my long trips and I set the pressure at about 42lbs...rated for 50lbs, but I leave room for air heating up while on 16 hour runs on the highways getting there.

colter

Observer
I'll preface this by saying my truck weighs over 7000 lbs and is pushing close to 350 hp, and I use it. But, I've had nothing but problems out of my 315x75R16 BFG A/T's. torn sidewall a couple times, (replaced them) several punctures in the tread, mysterious flats where I couldn't tell where a leak was coming from, and so on. the BFG A/T and regular M/T tires are known for having weak sidewalls.

However running a 31" and 33" BFG AT on my relatively light SAS 4runner, I dint have nearly as many problems. still had flats, but no torn sidewalls.

I'm going to try the new BFG KM 2's soon on my 80, but I also like swamper trxus's and MTR's are ok too.

bovw

Explorer
However, BFG has redesigned the MT and the AT. I have not looked to see if the new AT is available, yet. But, if you've got the ol skool BFG AT's, you better snatch up some spares while you still can.

Just checked BFG site and they don't show a new AT. Got anymore info on that?

efuentes

Explorer
Jan,

I always wonder about the 40+ PSI, we usually run 25-30 on ours with no problems other than the weak sidewalls while rockcrawling. Maybe should try the chalk method for the right pressure with the new set of tires.

Saludos

upatree

Observer
problems w/bfg

Jan-
I have run through 2 sets of bfg at in 285/75/16 on my f350. The truck scales appx 9000# at the scrap yard going in. Milage has been appx 40k on both sets. rotated all 5 at 3-5k miles. Have had 2 come apart with tread separation. one while driving and one off the truck and sitting in my back yard. Not wild about them for offroad but dont expect them to come apart in normal highway use let alone just sitting there. Sure do like the goodyear pro;grade tires am now using now and uppy seems to like them also.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Goodyear has recently changed the MT/R also. Added Kevlar to the sidewalls similar to their Silent Armor line. I saw a photo...let me hunt for it.

Got it: Definitely not a KM2 clone!
nat020209WranglerMTR1Wet223.jpg

H

Hank

I think we need a bigger photo, Nathan.

Dave,
I have a buddy who works with BFG Cooperate. I'll see if he'll send me a spy pic of the new AT.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Jan,

I always wonder about the 40+ PSI, we usually run 25-30 on ours with no problems other than the weak sidewalls while rockcrawling. Maybe should try the chalk method for the right pressure with the new set of tires.

Saludos

Thanks Mundo...good to hear from you again. I checked with BFG guys when I was in Baja and they were part of a team checking out routes and getting things ready for the big run. Their tech had a look at my rig and suggested the pressure and it has worked out so far as tire wear. I did the caulk test as well at it confirmed the pressure was OK. As I am sure most know, as you drive at say 55-60 mph or any speed for a long time the tires heat up, become more malleable, hugging the road more and the air expands, increasing pressure. By keeping up the pressure, the tires don't bulge as much and thereby reduces chances of sidewall damage. Having tires with 6 ply or more in the sidewalls helps this.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Jan-
I have run through 2 sets of bfg at in 285/75/16 on my f350. The truck scales appx 9000# at the scrap yard going in. Milage has been appx 40k on both sets. rotated all 5 at 3-5k miles. Have had 2 come apart with tread separation. one while driving and one off the truck and sitting in my back yard. Not wild about them for offroad but dont expect them to come apart in normal highway use let alone just sitting there. Sure do like the goodyear pro;grade tires am now using now and uppy seems to like them also.

With all the miles you pack on Uppy and that extra weight with Paco on most trips, I am with you Dave. I have been thinking that I may try the Goodyear Pro Grade ones as well.

BTW, Many hanks for all your input guys, this is what this forum excels at!

CanuckMariner/Nomad

I think we need a bigger photo, Nathan.

Dave,
I have a buddy who works with BFG Cooperate. I'll see if he'll send me a spy pic of the new AT.

I agree with Dave....never saw one that big. Love the detail in the rocks, though.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The first set of BFG's that I ever bought new, specifically to get the then new to the world of flotation tires 3 ply sidewall, and I ripped a hole in a sidewall on the second trip out with them.

Since then, what about 1988?, I've had two punctures in the tread and no sidewall issues in 5 sets of BFG's - all but one set have been A/T's. Neither puncture was the tire's fault, both were metal bits that I didn't see.

I don't know about in wet climes, but on the Western US desert roads & trails the only way to make a tire live under a heavy truck is to keep them as aired up as possible. Running low pressure is a sure recipe for a slashed sidewall or a rock punctured tread.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I don't know about in wet climes, but on the Western US desert roads & trails the only way to make a tire live under a heavy truck is to keep them as aired up as possible. Running low pressure is a sure recipe for a slashed sidewall or a rock punctured tread.
X2 An under inflated tire is more likely to suffer damage than a properly inflated one.
Also, if the sidewall says 50psi max, that's 50psi cold. The tire manufactures know their tires' pressure increases in use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior