Probably the best steps I have ever seen

Neil

Observer
These steps by Krug ( Ukraine ) are probably the best steps I have ever seen.

All Stainless steel, They fold out Hydraulically in about 2 seconds from a self contained locker

The Bottom step floats and they are surprisingly solid.

A Piece of art .

They are sold by Krug as a part

Neil

20220109_110034 (Copy).jpg

20220109_110026 (Copy).jpg

20220109_110044 (Copy).jpg

The Artisan

Adventurer
The owners claim not as they are all enclosed and dust free when travelling. Just a bit of spray grease here and there

I have a triple kwikee step and this is a horrendous maintenance nightmare as it's all exposed to the road dirt

Neil
Create your dustproof enclosure, do a high weight load slide and use some brophys
Kevin20161029_190641.jpeg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Love to see the price tag on all that stainless goodness.
A good looking setup, but couldn't be cheap!

Our aluminum version that folds and slides into the bed certainly works well.
It does require legs to hit the ground though.

51498624100_1c1303b940_b.jpg

The Artisan

Adventurer
Love to see the price tag on all that stainless goodness.
A good looking setup, but couldn't be cheap!

Our aluminum version that folds and slides into the bed certainly works well.
It does require legs to hit the ground though.

51498624100_1c1303b940_b.jpg
These are less than $300. Take off the back vertical support. I thought about taking my steps above apart and create this style
Kevin
Screenshot_20220109-201838_Lowe's.jpg

Last edited:

RoamIt

This prompts a question I've been mulling over. I gather not having the steps touching the ground is for 2 purposes?:

1.) Preventing debris from getting on the steps that necessitates continual cleaning.
2.) Preventing an access route into your habitat by various creatures.

My question is how do you compensate for uneven or sloping ground? Getting a consistent 'last step' to the ground? I could see myself half asleep (or 2 glasses of wine) or focused on scanning the surrounds (I'm a situational awareness kind of guy) as I exit the habitat and falling flat on my face :LOL:

Alloy

This prompts a question I've been mulling over. I gather not having the steps touching the ground is for 2 purposes?:

1.) Preventing debris from getting on the steps that necessitates continual cleaning.

My question is how do you compensate for uneven or sloping ground? Getting a consistent 'last step' to the ground? I could see myself half asleep (or 2 glasses of wine) or focused on scanning the surrounds (I'm a situational awareness kind of guy) as I exit the habitat and falling flat on my face :LOL:

Touching / Not touching ....it depends
- How much does the vehicle shake when (one person is trying to sleep) the steps are used.
- Further away from the wheels needs to accommodate a greater height difference.

Inside we have 36" long grab handle (used the most.....3 points of contact) and a cheap RV style fold (just broke at -10C) out railing on the outside.
1641834260989.png
We had steps that touched the ground and needed blocking/leveling until I got tired doing it. Now the steps don't touch the ground.

Steps off the ground will not stop creatures.

Best way to reduced debris is perforated treads.

The SS step design is very nice but not practical. Before closing the the door panel needs to be vacuumed (snow?) so debris doesn't end up in the gasket/hinge.....could also use a cotter pin instead of a nyloc nut for the cylinder rod pin....plus a couple of foot holds in the door panel for entry/exit without deploying the steps.

rruff

Explorer
I exit the habitat and falling flat on my face :LOL:

I've never used truck steps of any kind, but the tall ones all look treacherous to me! Things I don't like:

1) Easy to fall off since there isn't anything to hold onto.
2) They stick out way too far into your outdoor living space (not acceptable for my rig maybe not so bad for others).
3) A tall step that doesn't hit the ground needs to be extra heavy duty or it will be wobbly.

Doesn't anyone like ladders? I'm making my own, but this shows the basic idea:

RS2_45.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer

I went with steps that didn't touch the ground because I've watched visiting trucks set up ladders that either clip to the side of the truck or stand alone and then the occupants climb up and down whilst hanging on for dear life or looking decididly wobbily. Not only that my wife is not as sure footed as I and wanted something decent to climb in and out of. She also made the point that when stopped we could be in and out of the truck quite a lot and a steep ladder is not a good long term prospect (which is a fair call).

I took quite a bit of time to work out how high each step needed to be, how many were needed and what angle worked best. The height from the ground to the first step (on flat ground) matches each following step up to the interior. By floating above ground, it also allows us to park on rough ground without having to level a pad for clip on steps. Our steps are quite shallow with decent step plates, and we are both now very used to going up and down them carrying stuff without the need for a hand rail.

I see the positives as having a secure set of good comfortable steps to use all the time, having them stowed inside keeps them out of the weather when traveling, having them clear of the ground means they work everywhere, gas strut assisted so very easy to use, can still be in the folded or unfolded position with the door closed.

I see the negatives as not being able to depart quickly without having to go outside and fold the steps in, possibly restrictive in tight spaces, and not being able to automatically fold or unfold them without having to have the door open.

Here's a better pic prior to paint.

Step close up..png

There is a further single step inside the Hab Box which forms a sunken 'well' )which will have sealable floor vents in) for sweeping the floor into, and also be a good place for leaving shoes over night.

Joe917

Explorer
I have to say that style of step is an absolute deal breaker for me. They stick out way too far from the truck. You can't deploy them when parked on a street, they will block the sidewalk.
It takes a bit more work, but a two step well inside the vehicle means you only need one or at most two steps to deploy. It also is low enough to climb in and out without deploying the steps.
Beautiful workmanship design fail!

billiebob

These steps by Krug ( Ukraine ) are probably the best steps I have ever seen.

All Stainless steel, They fold out Hydraulically in about 2 seconds from a self contained locker

The Bottom step floats and they are surprisingly solid.

A Piece of art .

They are sold by Krug as a part

Neil

View attachment 700841

View attachment 700843

View attachment 700845
Looks ballistic plus close to rise, run, nosing required on residential stairs. I was thinking aluminium but in Stainless Steel, they'll out live the RV... might outlive the owner too. The steps likely cost as much as the toad.

Wheres the video ?

99% of the RV steps sold would be completely illegal in a residence. It blows my mind that bona fide RV Suppliers build and sell them. One of these days someone will sue.

The biggest problem with RV steps is the ground in often not level.
I'm a big fan of steps that don't touch the ground, cantilevered off the frame.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles