Pro-Rig V2.0 - Home Built Compact Composite Pop-up

DzlToy

Explorer
I spoke with one VIP manufacturer, thinking that there was some kind of airy, space-age, lightweight foam in the middle of the panel. I was surprised to hear that the core material they chose was 10 - 13 pounds per cubic foot. We aren't talking concrete here, but XPS is 1.3 for reference.

Are you thinking of coating the VIPs in Raptor also?

java

Expedition Leader
Raptor can be thinned and sprayed like paint and gives a much nicer finish IMO. still a little texture (depending on gun and settings) but not big bedliner lumpy

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Yeah, so the panel in the photos is 410mm X 960mm X 15mm and is just under 4 lbs. It has an effective R-value of 19. Three or four inches of XPS would get the same insulation and be lighter, but would make your rig several inches wider on the outside or narrower on the inside. Interesting tradeoffs for sure.

I don't think I'll use Raptor on the panels. The rough finish would make it harder to adhere them to the wall I think. If the goal is to not put too much load on any point on the panel (and risk tearing the material and losing vacuum), seems like I can accomplish that by an epoxy layer and minimal VHB tape or lots of VHB tape directly to the heavier-duty side of the panel. I'm leaning towards the latter. I'm also pondering using 4200 or 5200 (or similar) to stick them to the wall. Like the tape-only approach, it would need to cover a large area of the panel to spread the load. Tape seems less messy and frankly quite a bit cheaper and quicker. Still planning to not attach the VIP's to the new inner wall skin. For that I settled on 1/8" luan plywood. Lighter than any FRP I could find though a bit thicker. Found it locally so the price was right compared to all my other options.

Yeah, Java, I know spraying is preferred but I just don't have the facilities to pull it off, wish I did. I'll roll/brush it on and hope for the best. Lots of areas to practice on that are out of view where i can make a mess and learn. Current thinking on color is something like this:
Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 9.23.14 AM.png

Maybe mix in some black on the corners or something.

java

Expedition Leader
Buy A harbor fright spray gun!! They are quite good really. As long as you have a compressor that will kind of run them. I buy them and modify as needed. You can simply drill out the cap for a larger size if you are spring a sticker material. They are easy to throw away as well, if you don't clean them

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
It's not a lack of equipment problem, it's a space problem. Turning my garage into a spray booth is I suppose doable, but just not appealing. I've only got a foot or so of clearance on one side of the camper so I don't think I could get far enough away to spray properly.

java

Expedition Leader
It's not a lack of equipment problem, it's a space problem. Turning my garage into a spray booth is I suppose doable, but just not appealing. I've only got a foot or so of clearance on one side of the camper so I don't think I could get far enough away to spray properly.
Yes, 12 in is not easy. My garage is the same. I just have plastic hung everywhere so that I'm not spraying directly onto my storage shelves

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Rolled on my first batch of Raptor Liner. Based on that experience, I think I'm going to move a bunch of crap around and turn my garage into a spray booth as suggested. What have I gotten myself into this time? 😏