Pro Comp UCAs - 2010 DC Tacoma 4X4

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
I recently purchased a set of Pro Comp UCA's for my 2010 DC Tacoma 4x4. The removal of the stock UCA was pretty easy, as I watched a 14 min video on you tube detailing the install of Camburg UCAs. When I built the Pro Comp set, I noticed the steel tubes that go through the bushings were about 3/4" longer than the rubber bushings. The instructions said to put the 4 warshers included in the set, and put one on each side of the metal inserts, and use the stock bolt to hold evetything inplace upon installation. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures, but installing them following the instructions exactly, the stock bolt was too short, as the end of the bolt was flush with the washer, and I could not get the nut threaded onto the bolt.

I then removed the washers on the inside of the UCAs, the part that is closest to the shock tower. This allowed the stock bolt to stick out about a half inch, or just enough to get the nut to thread... This is where things went bad. The "cave man" in me came out, and I decided to try to put the nut on the bolt, and tighten it down to torque specks... (Pro comp had a diagram that listed it at about 135 ft-lbs). I began to tighen the nut, and after a few turns, and no where near the 135 ft lbs mark, I heard a huge pop, and felt a jolt through the torque wrench, which sent the wrench back into the rear part of the wheel well, and shot the nut across the floor. I discovered the threads on the bolt completely laid down flat, and the threads inside the nut were damaged. My stomach fell into my boots, as I was in Antlers OK, at my dads place, and had to be at work in Dallas on Monday. My father and I spent the remaining business hours on Saturday driving all over Antlers, Hugo, and Paris TX trying to find either a bold that was M14 in diameter, and about 13 inches long, or a M14 tap.... Needless to say, we found neither.

We got back to dads, and broke out the dremil tool, and ground down the flattened threads to get the nut to thread back onto the bolt. I then installed the factory UCA, and buttoned everything back up, making sure to get the UCA bolt only "german" tight: "goodentight". I then backed the truck out of the shop only to discover the ABS and TC lights to be on. A quick drive through the sand and dirt confirmed that I no longer have ABS or any form of TC. My drive back to Dallas was nerve racking, as I had my wife and kiddo with me, and was hoping the weakened bolt holding the passenger side UCA didnt break.

We made it home safe and sound, and today I will soon be at 4 wheel parts to see what they can do for me. I'm hoping they will sell me the Camburg set for the same price as the Pro Comp, and hopefully the Camburg set will fit. Additionally, I will be headed to mother Toyota to get a replacement UCA bolt (if I can) and price a new ABS sensor for the front passenger wheel.

Most of the ride home I contemplated giving up on the overlanding life, and call it quits... then I looked at my kid in the back seat, and thought about the fun he and I will have once the truck is trail ready, and decided to keep it. Once the UCAs are installed, the modification part of my truck will be done, and I can focus on camping gear.

I am not happy with 4wheel parts, or Pro Comp, or my self right now... Hopefully I can keep the "cave man" in check in the future.

Paddy

Adventurer
Why change UCA's if you only need the bolt? Listen man, turning your own wrenches will alway have its ups and downs, but consider that paying someone else to do it will often times yield the sAme screw ups or worse, and you may never even know what go messed up because the mechanics will hide their poop or not even notice in the first place. Don't be discouraged, wrench on!

Adventurous

Explorer
I'll confirm it when I get home this evening, but after installing a set of Light Racing UCAs this past weekend I don't believe the torque spec was anywhere close to 135 ftlbs. In fact, if I recall correctly, Toyota calls for something more like 85 ftlbs.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
So I took the UCA's back to 4 wheel parts, and as it turns out, the steel sleeves that go through the bushings were too long. At first they called Pro Comp, who agreed that the sleeves were wrong, then a tech walked by, and over heard the conversation, and suggested we go look at the truck. Upon inspection of my OME lift, it was determined that the Pro Comp UCAs most likely would not work anyway as they were having a problem with fitment issues with mixing pro comp and other lifts on Tacoma / 4 runner / FJ front ends. I was advised that the pro comp UCAs would most likely hit the coils on OME lift. Because of the headache the pro comp parts caused, they made me a deal on a set of ICONs for $13.50 more.

The factory UCA bolt was all my fault. I should not have tried to make the pro comp UCAs fit, and I know better than try to force things. After a call to Toyota, I was quoted about $20.00 for the bolt, and $6.00 for the nut. A quick call to Wheelers Off Road and I have two bolts and nuts in the mail for just over $30.00 plus shipping.

Lets talk about the lessons learned:
1. don't go cheap... I should have ponied up the money first for the ICONs (although I did get them for $612.00)
2. don't force things, physics does not change, at least not for me. You cant crush high strength steel sleeves with a light weight (probably grade 5) threaded bolt
3. expect the unexpected.... I still have the ABS light to deal with... right now, my truck has no ABS or traction control. My last resort is to take it to Toyota to have them look at it.

Be safe, I'll see y'all on the trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles