Pro-4X living at high elevation?

Maddmatt

Explorer
Thanks that good local info! We are out 285 in Bailey. I will commute to the airport but only one way every 4-6 days. The 04 trailblazer I am driving now does okay and I see lots of frontiers out here. My wife’s escape with 2.0 ecoboost does awesome thanks to he turbo. I just like to do my research and hear first hand experience.
Now hopefully the new frontier releases soon and I can snag an amazing deal on a leftover 2020 or a CPO frontier.
in that case, Crow hill is your biggest obstacle on the way to town, and no amount of forced induction is going to over come a pair of old Subarus doing their very best at 35mph - I grew up in the Conifer area, and even going back to the '80s, when I was learning to drive, horsepower has always been irrelevant. Comfy seats and a good stereo are far more important, if it's not the old Subarus, it's a hay truck, a herd of elk or 5 miles of bumper to bumper campers and side by side trailers that are going to be your biggest obstacle. It's fun to shop though, 90% of the time I don't "need" most of the power my Xterra can create, or the heated seats, XM radio, rear locker, etc.... but I like it!

Redheddedwonder

in that case, Crow hill is your biggest obstacle on the way to town, and no amount of forced induction is going to over come a pair of old Subarus doing their very best at 35mph - I grew up in the Conifer area, and even going back to the '80s, when I was learning to drive, horsepower has always been irrelevant. Comfy seats and a good stereo are far more important, if it's not the old Subarus, it's a hay truck, a herd of elk or 5 miles of bumper to bumper campers and side by side trailers that are going to be your biggest obstacle. It's fun to shop though, 90% of the time I don't "need" most of the power my Xterra can create, or the heated seats, XM radio, rear locker, etc.... but I like it!
Awesome thanks!
Any local clubs or groups you go in runs with?

Maddmatt

Explorer
Awesome thanks!
Any local clubs or groups you go in runs with?
Not these days, with one kid in college and another there soon I'm in full nose-to-the-grindstone mode these days. If you end up with a Toyota, Rising Sun is probably the finest 4x4 club there is, I still have ties in the Toyota world so I tag along as a rider on the occasional run (at least pre-2020).

When I switched to Nissan I started spending some time at thenewX.org, and from there I found Norac4x4, originally a Nissan oriented club, but seem to be non-denominational these days. From what I've seen from their facebook discussions it's a very helpful, easy going group. If I was going on a trail run that's probably where I would start.

Redheddedwonder

Not these days, with one kid in college and another there soon I'm in full nose-to-the-grindstone mode these days. If you end up with a Toyota, Rising Sun is probably the finest 4x4 club there is, I still have ties in the Toyota world so I tag along as a rider on the occasional run (at least pre-2020).

When I switched to Nissan I started spending some time at thenewX.org, and from there I found Norac4x4, originally a Nissan oriented club, but seem to be non-denominational these days. From what I've seen from their facebook discussions it's a very helpful, easy going group. If I was going on a trail run that's probably where I would start.
Awesome thanks!

CO-Plateau-Guy

Fwiw, i have a 2015 Pro-4x and on the Western Slope. I am regularly up in the San Juans and ive never found that i lack for power in normal driving or when on a 4wd road. Now, everything is relative as my daily is a 2008 Outback.. But, yeah, the Xterra is great for CO in my opinion.

Redheddedwonder

Fwiw, i have a 2015 Pro-4x and on the Western Slope. I am regularly up in the San Juans and ive never found that i lack for power in normal driving or when on a 4wd road. Now, everything is relative as my daily is a 2008 Outback.. But, yeah, the Xterra is great for CO in my opinion.
Thanks! Just test drove both a 2020 and 2019, I think I liked the 2020 more. Will be interesting to see if and how much prices drop when the 2022 frontier gets released soon.

Redheddedwonder

If you haven't already you might take a look at https://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/

Lot of discussion on 2020 vs 2019. Transmission seems to irk some plus discussion the fuel injection methods. I don't know enough to say either way but interesting insight.
Yah there is something to be said about a proven drivetrain, plus cheaper price point, hard to choose. I like the ability to select gears better in the 2020 but I’ve heard it will shift down still, essentially just picking a top gear point. The 2020 was also really smooth with its shifts in my opinion. I also really liked the low first gear in 4low.

Last edited:

Redheddedwonder

Any thought to a 1 year old Ranger? That turbo 2.3 and 10 speed will be a lot easier to live with.
I have thought about that. My wife has a escape with 2.0 ecoboost and that thing is fairly quick considering what it is.

My thought process for that would be if I was spending over $30k for something used I should just go for a ZR2. I like the concept of the ranger but the price points new and used are close enough to the ZR2 that it makes sense to push my budget a little farther.

I like the frontier for the budget aspect, spoke with a sales manager and he confirmed new frontier is coming soon and said that he could probably work out a less than $30k deal for a new one. He had no used pro-4x frontiers, just SV but I probably won’t buy from there anyways, just wanted to test drive.

llamalander

Apart from the locker, the SV's can be brought up to pro-x capability pretty easily. Old or new powertrain has plenty of go, be it 0-10,000 feet, and the stock truck is extremely durable.
The 4x4 is impressive, in snow or on dirt and only the turning radius is lacking... & the MPG is on the lower end. For a budget truck, the Frontier is a lot of good things.

Redheddedwonder

Apart from the locker, the SV's can be brought up to pro-x capability pretty easily. Old or new powertrain has plenty of go, be it 0-10,000 feet, and the stock truck is extremely durable.
The 4x4 is impressive, in snow or on dirt and only the turning radius is lacking... & the MPG is on the lower end. For a budget truck, the Frontier is a lot of good things.
Yah that’s my thought process, I like the pro4 because if I mildly modify it in the beginning it will do everything I ask, then down the road I can turn it into more of a wheeler. Also being cheaper it can be paid off sooner making it easier to do that and have a different daily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles