Pro-4X Build Thread

gwhipp

Observer
The tires are holding up pretty well. I have 26,000 miles on them, but will be replacing them soon. A couple weeks after I bought the truck, I got a nail in the shoulder of the tire. Right where the sidewall meets the tread. It was plugged and held air until a couple months ago. I have to refill the tire a time or two each week. It gets to be annoying. And since the tires are worn, I cannot replace just the leaking tire.

So the question is... what tire do I get and what size?

I am looking at either stock size (265-75-16) or larger (285-75-16). Something that will be good in the snow, on the trail, and on the street. It is asking for a lot.

It'll be interesting to see if I can fit 285s up front with only the OME struts/springs. Clearance might be a bit of an issue. If I get the bigger tires, I would need to buy 5 to have a full-size spare.

What do you guys think as far as make/model of tire and also the size?

fishy_frontier

Adventurer

My vote goes towards either the Nitto TerraGrappler's or Yokohama Geolandar AT-S. Either in 285/75/16. I have first hand experience with both. Both have excellent road manners and are fantastic in the rain. I run the Terragrapplers and have about 50k miles on them with no issues, no flats and still a good amount of tread left. My best friend runs the Geolandar's on his frontier and they are really good as well. They're slightly less aggressive and more quite on the highway but perform great on the trails. I liked the Geolandar's so much I just put a set on my dads Titan.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I love my 235/85s BFG TAs. They are a tad bit bigger then stock, but did not effect millage enough to notice and they were great in the snow this past week. But I am bias to the tall and skinny.

mike r

Adventurer

I just got a set of Kelly Safari TSR
Kinda noisy at slow speeds on the street (15ish) but quiet at highway speeds
i'l get them off road soon and let you know

gwhipp

Observer
My vote goes towards either the Nitto TerraGrappler's or Yokohama Geolandar AT-S. Either in 285/75/16. I have first hand experience with both. Both have excellent road manners and are fantastic in the rain. I run the Terragrapplers and have about 50k miles on them with no issues, no flats and still a good amount of tread left. My best friend runs the Geolandar's on his frontier and they are really good as well. They're slightly less aggressive and more quite on the highway but perform great on the trails. I liked the Geolandar's so much I just put a set on my dads Titan.

These are the top two tires on my list. I am leaning more towards the Nittos because of the more aggressive tread. My brother has a set and likes them so far.

gwhipp

Observer
First off, I want to thank my brother (Whipp) for sending me this to me...

He found a new Waeco CF-35 fridge for sale in Colorado for $200. :sombrero:

Needless to say, I now have a fridge in the truck. It is not permanently installed yet, but it is sitting in its final location just behind the driver seat.

Here is a cellphone pic of it.
0227111651.jpg

It cools down to -3F according to the included thermometer. It also came with mounting brackets for securing it.

gwhipp

Observer
I finally got around to installing the fridge in the truck. It is no longer just sitting there.

I removed the seat behind the driver a while ago. I am 6'4" tall and no passenger would want to sit behind me.

P72410000.jpg

Seat removed. The mounting holes will be reused.

P72410401.jpg

Birds eye view of the mounting location.

P72412606.jpg

Platform installed.

P72411704.jpg

Mounting brackets installed.

P72415112.jpg

Fridge installed.

P72413809.jpg

P72414210.jpg

Preloaded with Girl Scout Cookies.

P72416214.jpg

Built in fridge light.

P72416815.jpg

I didn't install the handles as they won't fit, so I used the mounting locations for some Quick Fists to hold a flashlight.

Not too bad for a $200 fridge and some scrap lumber.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
That looks like a great fit. I am looking for a fridge to sit like that in mine as well. Thanks for figuring it out for me!

ducatidom

I second Mike R's vote on the TSR's. I've been running my set for a couple months and love them. Size is a matter of preference as you know from CF

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Great build

First of all I just read your entire thread and your truck is looking great. Second I would never own anything besides the BFG TAs. I used to run a Jeep Cherokee. I started with 235 75 r15 BFGs. Then I ran 31X10.50 BFGs with a little bit of a lift. Then I tried two different brands of mud tires. I lifted my Cherokee more and ran 33X10.50 BFGs. I can't say enough good about them. I loved how much traction they gave me in snow, mud, rocks, and sand. They are not noisy at any speed on the road, and will give you a lot of mileage as long as you rotate them when you are supposed to. I ran the 31X10.5 for almost 50,000 and then gave them to a friend because I wanted to try some mud tires. 10 months ago, my friend got the tires out of mothballs and put them on his Cherokee. They passes inspection, and he has put sever thousand more miles on them. I would have nothing other than the BFG. Hands down the best all around tire. IMNSHO!

Last edited:

gwhipp

Observer
Since purchasing my truck, it has performed flawlessly! However, now that I am married and have a little kiddo, the truck must go. A rear facing car seat can fit in the truck, but only when the passenger seat is folded flat and all the way forward.

So, who wants to buy it?!?! I'll be ordering a Crew Cab ZR2 Duramax pretty soon and the lead time is about 3 months currently.

MNCarl

The Moose
Excellent build and good luck with the selling of it.
Thank you for the feedback on the Frontier (flawlessly) As a Frontier owner that is good to hear.
From the pics I have seen on the internet, that new ZR2 looks amazing !!! All those 4 wheel drive modes, lockers, suspension , and Duramax tires already on it.
If you think of it post a link to your Crew cab ZR2 Duramax ZR2 build thread (Here on this thread)....I know myself and some other Nissan Frontier guys would be very interested in how you compare the ZR2 to your 2009 Frontier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne