Pricing on a 1993 Dodge 250 diesel

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Question for the Dodge folks or anyone who knows older diesels.

Looking at a 1993 D250 with the Cummins.
Extra-cab
Long bed
219,000 miles
Tires have 30k, maybe could get another year out of them.
Body is fair to good condition, no major issues, just the usual wear and tear.
Interior is fair. Very dirty and stained, headliner is falling down, stereo doesn't work
Has contractors canopy, but no tailgate
Extras include: trailer brake controller, engine brake, air bags front and rear (front don't hold air), some gauges mounted on the dash (tach., pyrometer, etc.)

Issues:
Front springs are collapsed
Steering gearbox is shot completely
Power steering pump is shot/leaking
Left rear axle seal is leaking

Seller was asking $7,500. Repairs were estimated at $3k. He dropped his price to $7k.

Is this worth it at $7k?

I drove it, the motor ran good (and checked out good by the mechanic), brakes were a little soft even though they are supposedly new, the steering was horrible, but overall it's a decent truck. Just not sure if it's $7k decent considering the repairs needed. Never owned a diesel, or a 3/4 ton before so a bit lost on this.

Paddy

Adventurer
They go for 10-20k here
The 94-95 is the best one for tranny though. The 93 is non lockup.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
They go for 10-20k here
The 94-95 is the best one for tranny though. The 93 is non lockup.

Not sure what non-lockup is. I would love a 94-95, but like you said, prices get higher fast. That coil suspension sure would be nice though.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
A 1993 is worth far more than any 94-95 automatic or 5 speed in equivalent condition in today's truck market. The 93 may not be as good a truck however that doesn't make any difference.

Here is a picture of my daughters 1993 Dodge Cummins 2500 Ext Cab 4WD we did for her. Was a 200K mile 1 owner Iowa farmers truck before restoration. Mechanically it was/is superb. Paint was crap when we got it. Original bucket seat interior required a new headliner and carpet. Changed out the steel wheels/tires for the bullet holes and Nitto's.

The truck drives great for a solid axle 50 year old design 4WD diesel PU.

At $7K WITHOUT seeing pictures of the truck you have described for sale it "Sounds" like a good deal.

Attachments

• 20180611_134702_resized.jpg
    20180611_134702_resized.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Yes fair price, cummins trucks hold this value, 1st gen 12v trucks are in demand

That's what the diesel shops were telling me. They're seeing a lot of folks buying up the older ones and/or getting rid of newer trucks and switching back to older trucks.

You could get a lot nicer gas truck for the same money 7,000 for truck + 3,000 in repairs. You have to ask yourself , do you want to pay 6,000 for a cummins engine wrapped in an old truck ?

True, can't argue. After looking at g vs d I decided I definitely wanted the diesel motor. I know there's drawback, but there are drawbacks to everything. Just have to make your choice and move forward. And I can say I actually wanted an older truck over a newer one, which is why I was also looking at the idi Fords as well.

Its not worth it, not even close. I have owned more cummins than most, they are not mythical million mile motors.

Nothing lives up to the myths that surround them. But, I really cannot find anything that says they're not good motors. I kinda agree with you, but also have to take into account that market demand puts pressure on actually value, just like the housing market. I see houses with a market value of $400+K, and the assessed value is only ~$200K. Sucks, but it's reality.

Last edited:

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Well, for better or worse, this beast came home with me today. Needs work, smells a bit musty inside, but the price worked out. I told the seller I'd have to think about his price and about 30 minutes later he texted me that he'd lower his price more. That price just happened to be what my limit was even though he didn't know that. We struck that deal at 10:30pm last night, brought it home about 30 minutes ago.

*EDIT* Ran an errand and stopped to add some fuel and diesel is less than regular unleaded! Ok, only 5 cents, but still...win!

Attachments

• Dodge-4.jpg
    Dodge-4.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Dodge-3.jpg
    Dodge-3.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Dodge-2.jpg
    Dodge-2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Dodge-1.jpg
    Dodge-1.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

plumber mike

Adventurer
My 1990 CTD with a 5 speed is probably the most efficient truck I’ve ever owned. Consistently above 20mpg. It’s down with a blown head gasket at 300k but I like it enough to fix it. Feels like a broken in shoe that just fits.
Best of luck on that sweet beast!

huntsonora

Explorer
That’ll be a hell of a truck. I’d rather have an older diesel with no emissions crap and relatively easy to fix vs one of the newer diesels. I LOVE my 98 12 valve

yfarm

Observer
It's interesting how markets vary across the US, my brother has a 89 CTD reg cab auto 4wd 80k miles bought from original owner with window sticker. Iowa farm truck for sale in Iowa with little interest from Craigslist ad. Wants 5500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles