Pricing Advice for FG

BrianBee

Hi all,

My girlfriend found a 2012 Fuso FG with 29k miles. It has a 14' steel flatbed, no rust, front airbags. The asking price is $36k, which I think is high?

It's been a bit difficult to figure out the pricing of FGs, especially now in 2021. I found this 2012 with less miles with ATW suspension and super singles for a similar price: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...-atw-singles-are-still-available-2500.198174/
I want to do the suspension and super singles upgrade anyways, so that's going to be quite a bit on top of the $36k

What are your opinions on this? Thanks :)

Also, the seller could possibly be a member here. Hope you don't mind me asking for outside opinions

Attachments

• IMG_2445.jpg
    IMG_2445.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 23

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Is this truck you're looking at a manual or an automatic?
If it's a manual, does it have low range?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I know that there are members on this forum that have both good and bad things to say about this model truck.
Some will say that the lack of low range is a significant factor, whereas others say it has not hampered their travels.
At the end of the day, you need to decide if the somewhat reduced off road capacity of this truck will hamper you and where you want to go.

I cannot speak from personal experience, as I own an earlier model, but I do know that there have been numerous reported issues with the Duonic and the emission systems on these trucks.
You would need to ensure that all of the recalls and modifications have been carried out, or you could be buying into something that might cost you a whole lot more money.

Just do your due diligence, as you may no longer get recalls/mods done under warranty, given the truck's age.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Advice to me from the Longmont, CO Fuso dealer regarding my 1999 FG: "Don't ever sell it to get get a newer model."

BrianBee

Thanks for the info, everyone!
The emissions recall was performed and the current owner replaced both injectors. I'd love to have an older model but I'm in California where they're strict on emissions. I've also considered having an Isuzu NPR converted to 4x4

Howard70

Adventurer
My wife and I have owned two USA FGs - a 2014 and a 2017. While nearly everything physical about the two trucks seemed identical, there were great differences in the performance of the emissions system and, to a slightly lesser degree, the transmission. I was also acquainted with someone who purchased a 2012 and was assured by a dealer that all of the post 2011 trucks were identical and only varied in software. That 2012 didn't fulfill the owners expectations.

I would recommend getting the VIN of the truck and calling a Fuso dealer (not just a service center) to have a thorough run of all work and recalls done on the truck. I'd then ask that dealer for a quote of having all outstanding work and upgrades performed by them. Personally, I would be offer to pay the dealer for that review - done correctly it will take them a significant effort and time. Once I completely understood Fuso's view of that particular truck I'd take those expenses into account in my offer to the current owner.

I really, really like Fuso FGs and I'm rare on this forum in that I like the Duonic transmission as well. However, these are not "do it yourself" vehicles when it comes to emissions and transmissions. They are highly integrated mechanical/computer controlled systems and repairs/upgrades/ etc to a now 8 year old commercial truck could quickly turn the savings you'd realize into nothing.

Good luck!

Howard

kerry

Expedition Leader
Good advice. When the dealer told me to keep my 99, he pulled up on his computer the records on a newer truck (post 2015?). It showed multiple tens of thousands of warranty work with $14 k of work still waiting to be done. I believe all that work was transmission and emissions related.

BrianBee

That's a good idea. The current owner gave me the VIN and auto report. It had 4 owners including the seller, which seems high for such few miles? He's in no rush to sell which will give me time to look more into it or explore other options

SuperVan

Forager
Good advice. When the dealer told me to keep my 99, he pulled up on his computer the records on a newer truck (post 2015?). It showed multiple tens of thousands of warranty work with $14 k of work still waiting to be done. I believe all that work was transmission and emissions related.
Off topic... what transmission/clutch fluid are you using in your 99? thanks~

yabanja

Explorer
I feel that the only FG's deserving of such a high price are the non Diesel emissions vehicles which were made prior to 2008. This is a $20K truck in my opinion.

Allan

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I feel that the only FG's deserving of such a high price are the non Diesel emissions vehicles which were made prior to 2008. This is a $20K truck in my opinion.

Allan
It's really hard to justify that price when you are talking about the truck that caused Mitsubishi to exit the US truck market! I would look for a pre-2008 or go all-in and get one of the EarthCruiser 4x4 Chevy/NPR conversions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94