Price for a 1994 Chevrolet Tiger CX Provan RV

Baileyw7

I purchased a 95 4x4 last year for 5k. It had around 65k miles on. Mechanically it was pretty good but interior was water damaged and the paint was peeling off the galvanized body panels.

In the last year I replaced the transmission, brakes, suspension, wheels/tires and batteries so figure 6-7k in mechanical if it hasn’t been taken care of.

Interior can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. I’m slowly rebuilding it but it seems like everything is 100-300 bucks and it adds up fast.

It is a great rig at a fraction of the price so I don’t regret a thing but it’s important to buy at the right price and be realistic about upcoming expenses.

If I had to sell today I’d try to get 25-30k in a perfect world.

The day I got it
8ace616253abf51c38e79b38bae9599f.jpg

As it sits today
e48f710cdd759c0d62b6e303b7b16187.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mobilemags

Thanks for all the info! This is so helpful and will give me a few key areas to look at. Sounds like my offer of $15K was a bit high. I'll try to bargain and see what they can come down to based on your expertise and feedback. Will keep you posted on the outcome.

zip

I prefer social distancing.
MM,
Do you really need 4 x 4?
You could probably get a decent Airstream B190 or Roadtrek 190 in your budget. Lift it, bigger tires, and away you go. Maybe even a rear locker?

mobilemags

Ended up looking at it and everyone was spot on that it would require a full gut job and plus some. Great layout and rig. Really liked it but a lot to take on for what I need. Thanks for everyone’s expertise in helping guide me into possibly looking into something newer, less mechanical costs down the road, and ready to go.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
That's a really cool rig but I think you're only scratching the surface with a $2k budget for upgrades/repairs. This is an old camper and it's going to nickel and dime you for a LONG time. I wish you luck. I would love the challenge personally, but I have the time, space and budget for things like this and I've done it a bunch of times. I don't want to scare you off but it's probably not a buy for the faint of heart.
TOtally agree

86scotty

Cynic
@mobilemags, tell us your goals. How much time on the road? What is your parking situation at home? Need 4x4 or just want it? What part of the country are you in and what kind of traveling do you want to do? Do you need a full bath w/ shower?

All of these questions have been discussed here time and time again and many here are glad to help.

Zip gave you some contenders. Add Chinook (Concourse or Premier) to that list for sure and look for Sportsmobiles. Endless floor plans with those.

mobilemags

@mobilemags, tell us your goals. How much time on the road? What is your parking situation at home? Need 4x4 or just want it? What part of the country are you in and what kind of traveling do you want to do? Do you need a full bath w/ shower?

All of these questions have been discussed here time and time again and many here are glad to help.

Zip gave you some contenders. Add Chinook (Concourse or Premier) to that list for sure and look for Sportsmobiles. Endless floor plans with those.
I plan on being on the road full-time, well that is the goal. I may do occasional airbnb or stay with friends. I don't have a parking situation or permanent home. I'll be living in the van to find a property that would allow for parking and have a landing spot to return to eventually. I don't need a 4x4, but it would be nice to have. However, I'll eventually get a used secondary car to go ski when I'm back at home. I'm currently living in Bend, OR. I just had ACL surgery, so I'm out for skiing this season and will be headed to AZ for the winter to bike and live in a van. Next summer I'd like to be up in Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Montana area. Now that I am looking, a portable shower and toilet would be ok. Ideally I'd like to find a van with all of it with a short wheel base since I'm 5'1" and need a shorter van to drive. I'm now leaning towards finding a promaster.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Have you looked at Ambulance campers? You may even find one in 4x4/ camper ready. Given your height you would have plenty and be able to sleep on the "bench"

86scotty

Cynic
I don't want to be the guy to critique or shoot down your ideas but I'd buy any van but a Promaster. I would look at Transit if you want a newer Euro style with reliability. I would stay away from Sprinter as well for initial AND ongoing maintenance costs.

Look at some E series Sportsmobiles! There are lots of 2wd ones that are right up your alley budget wise.

However, all that said, you live in one of the #vanlife meccas. If you watch FB religiously you can catch someone unloading a van since, you know, #vanlife is so 2019.

zip

I owned a Sportsmobile, which I bought brand new.
I will never own another, or recommend someone buy one.

mobilemags

Thoughts on pleasure way 19’. Hard to find but seem to have everything.
I am not too interested in the pop up sportsmobiles at this time but may end up considering them.

zip

Pleasureway 19 and Roadtrek 190 are comparable.
The quality of the workmanship on the Roadtrek is superb.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The only negative on the Roadtreks are that they tend to be built low to the ground. Skirts cover the lowered tanks (water and fuel) and house a lot of storage. These compromise clearance and aren't readily removable if you're looking to actually gain ground clearance for off-road work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles