Price for a 1994 Chevrolet Tiger CX Provan RV

zip

I prefer social distancing.
The only negative on the Roadtreks are that they tend to be built low to the ground. Skirts cover the lowered tanks (water and fuel) and house a lot of storage. These compromise clearance and aren't readily removable if you're looking to actually gain ground clearance for off-road work.

Herbie,
100% correct on that. I highly recommend a Weldtec lift if you’re going to have one of these vehicles.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Thoughts on pleasure way 19’. Hard to find but seem to have everything.
I am not too interested in the pop up sportsmobiles at this time but may end up considering them.

First, the PW vans are some of the best built.
2nd...I once had a SMB pop up van...best I can say is I liked the way the pop up functioned.

3rd....You might Check out the 2wd GTRV low profile pop up Ford van listed right here FS on the forum. It located a day south of you. Price should drop further too.

Good Luck

86scotty

Cynic
OP, Pleasure Way Traverse and GTRV are the same van. They also have a pop top.

I too have owned Sportsmobiles and no longer do. I'm not a disciple but they are probably the most widely available late model camper van out there and a million floor plans. They make hard tops too.

I hope to never have a soft pop top anything again, personally.

zeeede

I plan on being on the road full-time, ... will be headed to AZ for the winter to bike and live in a van. Next summer I'd like to be up in Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Montana area. Now that I am looking, a portable shower and toilet would be ok. Ideally I'd like to find a van with all of it with a short wheel base since I'm 5'1" and need a shorter van to drive. I'm now leaning towards finding a promaster.

If you're into biking, definitely go the van route, and make sure you have room under the bed to keep your bike(s) inside the van. Hanging a bike on a rack is just asking for it to get stolen. If you're into winter sports too (like skiing), you bike(s) get covered in road grime driving to and from the mountains in a van.

My wife and I lived full-time in a van mountain biking and skiing for a year. We had a fairly simple DIY build-out. A few tips...

Since you're 5'1, you should be able to sleep cross-wise in any of the new euro-style vans. Get the high roof, (or mid-roof in a ford transit) build a cross-wise bed high enough to easily fit bikes under (we went 39" or 40" of clearance under our bed, but I ride an XL frame... with a smaller frame you can probably get the bed lower). With a cross-wise bed, you should be able to have plenty of room with the shorter wheelbase versions.

For a toilet, we did a luggable loo lid on a 5 gallon bucket lined with trash bags. If you're a guy, keep it for emergency poos only, and work out a pee bottle system for midnight wees.

For a shower, we did a p-fit black card membership for $20 a month, and just wiped with baby wipes or rinsed with some fresh water if we were really sweaty and couldn't get to a shower. YOu mentioned AZ... we spent some time riding in Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, North Rim. I can't remember what we did for showers (don't think there's P-Fits anywhere there), but touristy-outdoorsy areas like Sedona usually have campgrounds that will let you shower for $2 or so, even if you're not staying there. You could get a solar-shower-type setup and be fine... plenty of free boondock camping in Az.

Wintering over in northern AZ can be colder than you'd think... much of it is at higher elevations. Can't speak to southern Az...we were there in April and May and didn't go any further south than Prescott. We got 6" of snow in mid-may while we were in the flagstaff area.

Other people have poo-pooed the promaster, but you can't beat the price. We had a 17 year old sprinter and while it was mostly dependable, dealers were few and far between, parts were a pain in the ass to get and expensive, and no independent mechanics knew anything about working on sprinters. Promasters won't have any of those problems, and they're the cheapest of the eurovans on the used market.

Again, having your bike inside the vehicle is 100% requirement for full time, in my opinion, and van is the best way to do it.

mobilemags

If you're into biking, definitely go the van route, and make sure you have room under the bed to keep your bike(s) inside the van. Hanging a bike on a rack is just asking for it to get stolen. If you're into winter sports too (like skiing), you bike(s) get covered in road grime driving to and from the mountains in a van.

My wife and I lived full-time in a van mountain biking and skiing for a year. We had a fairly simple DIY build-out. A few tips...

Since you're 5'1, you should be able to sleep cross-wise in any of the new euro-style vans. Get the high roof, (or mid-roof in a ford transit) build a cross-wise bed high enough to easily fit bikes under (we went 39" or 40" of clearance under our bed, but I ride an XL frame... with a smaller frame you can probably get the bed lower). With a cross-wise bed, you should be able to have plenty of room with the shorter wheelbase versions.

For a toilet, we did a luggable loo lid on a 5 gallon bucket lined with trash bags. If you're a guy, keep it for emergency poos only, and work out a pee bottle system for midnight wees.

For a shower, we did a p-fit black card membership for $20 a month, and just wiped with baby wipes or rinsed with some fresh water if we were really sweaty and couldn't get to a shower. YOu mentioned AZ... we spent some time riding in Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, North Rim. I can't remember what we did for showers (don't think there's P-Fits anywhere there), but touristy-outdoorsy areas like Sedona usually have campgrounds that will let you shower for $2 or so, even if you're not staying there. You could get a solar-shower-type setup and be fine... plenty of free boondock camping in Az.

Wintering over in northern AZ can be colder than you'd think... much of it is at higher elevations. Can't speak to southern Az...we were there in April and May and didn't go any further south than Prescott. We got 6" of snow in mid-may while we were in the flagstaff area.

Other people have poo-pooed the promaster, but you can't beat the price. We had a 17 year old sprinter and while it was mostly dependable, dealers were few and far between, parts were a pain in the ass to get and expensive, and no independent mechanics knew anything about working on sprinters. Promasters won't have any of those problems, and they're the cheapest of the eurovans on the used market.

Again, having your bike inside the vehicle is 100% requirement for full time, in my opinion, and van is the best way to do it.
Thanks for all the tips! I grew up in Flagstaff, AZ so I'm familiar with AZ. I had ACL surgery recently so I'm out for ski season, so I wanted to do vanlife and bike down in the desert during the winter. Then during summer hit the road to escape the desert summer. Next ski season, I don't plan on using the van for the winter. I'll mainly be using it for biking adventures.

I do like the appeal of vans for that main reason of storing bikes inside, but there are some heavy duty chain locks to avoid theft.

I'm now going back and forth on a van where I'd need a portable toilet/shower versus a truck camper where I'd be able to use the truck during next ski season. Not sure how much work truck campers are to store and load on/off. Still leaning more towards a van for the ease of it and get a cheaper AWD car for the winter.

zeeede

I do like the appeal of vans for that main reason of storing bikes inside, but there are some heavy duty chain locks to avoid theft.

I have a giant chain lock that probably weighs 50 or 60 lbs, and I still don't trust my bikes on a rack unattended for any long period of time. If someone tries to defeat the lock while you're sleeping in the truck, it will probably wake you up, but what if you leave the truck for a hike or dinner or a flight home to visit family for a few days?

Also, don't think you have to have a truck for ski season. We skied the rockies all winter in a 2WD van and didn't have a problem. I also daily drove the van through a New England winter, including weekend trips to VT and Maine resorts and a week to Quebec in February. Good AT tires with the 3 peak snow tread rating (not even true snow tires) were fine in Taos, SLC and Park City, Summit County in CO, Jackson, Big Sky, and a few resorts Washington and Canada. We carried snow chains but never needed to deploy them, and we drove in some pretty decent, pass-closing storms (though if you're driving during the storm, you're doing it wrong! Watch powderchasers.com and get there the night before).

eporter

Adventurer
I have a giant chain lock that probably weighs 50 or 60 lbs, and I still don't trust my bikes on a rack unattended for any long period of time.

Yep, you can never actually lock up a bike, the lock just slows thieves down. Inside storage is great for keeping things clean and out of sight. A rack is still nice though if you’ve got a group going and need more space inside for people/gear.

pjmcintosh54

We are the ones selling the 1994 Tiger Provan. There's a couple of points I'd like to provide comment. We bought this Tiger in 2010 from friends of ours. We didn't know if we were RV people, but a trip the the Steens Mountain in SE Oregon sold us completely. In 2016 we came upon a 2009/10 Tiger Provan diesel and bought it. Love it! We were honest about the information we shared. We also did extensive research on pricing the Tiger from several websites and forums such as this one. These type of vehicles are very difficult to price, so you're often dependent upon the information you research. Although the outside is a little tired, the inside is in great great condition. I won't use excellent as it is a 94, however, we have meticulously had it serviced and cleaned regularly, even in storage as we enjoy our new Tiger. We hope that whoever buys this knows that Tiger owners are a unique group of people who enjoy the outdoors and boondock camping. In our opinion, this is a travel ready vehicle. The heater works perfectly, the fridge runs propane or shore power, the upholstery is in great condition as is the shower, it has a 4-burner stove AND over which i truly miss in our new Tiger. It has a brand new mattress for the bunk, it has all the tables that came with it originally, the sink and lights all work great and have been converted to LED. Regarding the mechanical, the engine has been serviced twice since we stopped using it, as people have asked to have it looked at by a mechanic, it has new batteries for the cabin and truck air conditioning (truck not cabin) and nothing leaks! If anyone is interested, we have it advertised for $22K, but are willing to consider other offers.

We are the ones selling the 1994 Tiger Provan. There's a couple of points I'd like to provide comment. We bought this Tiger in 2010 from friends of ours. We didn't know if we were RV people, but a trip the the Steens Mountain in SE Oregon sold us completely. In 2016 we came upon a 2009/10 Tiger Provan diesel and bought it. Love it! We were honest about the information we shared. We also did extensive research on pricing the Tiger from several websites and forums such as this one. These type of vehicles are very difficult to price, so you're often dependent upon the information you research. Although the outside is a little tired, the inside is in great great condition. I won't use excellent as it is a 94, however, we have meticulously had it serviced and cleaned regularly, even in storage as we enjoy our new Tiger. We hope that whoever buys this knows that Tiger owners are a unique group of people who enjoy the outdoors and boondock camping. In our opinion, this is a travel ready vehicle. The heater works perfectly, the fridge runs propane or shore power, the upholstery is in great condition as is the shower, it has a 4-burner stove AND over which i truly miss in our new Tiger. It has a brand new mattress for the bunk, it has all the tables that came with it originally, the sink and lights all work great and have been converted to LED. Regarding the mechanical, the engine has been serviced twice since we stopped using it, as people have asked to have it looked at by a mechanic, it has new batteries for the cabin and truck air conditioning (truck not cabin) and nothing leaks! If anyone is interested, we have it advertised for $22K, but are willing to consider other offers.

Where is this for sale? If there was a link in the thread I missed it!

Edit: Nevermind, it is in Bend, OR! https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/446264462508759

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles