Prevolander 93 Bronco

OverlandNA

There was a bunch of oil under my filter coming from the valve cover breather so gotta clean that out and see if the new PCV helps reduce that. If not I might just get a cheap catch can like I run on my Hemi Jeep. I did end up getting a amazon special catch can and it seems to help.
You should pull your valve covers and make sure your oil return holes are not clogged before you take a long highway trip. I found this to be a common problem on higher mileage ford 302 & 351 engines that led to the failure of many engines last century while I was a mechanic.
At low rpms enough oil would drain back to the pan to keep everything lubed, at high rpms most of the oil would be trapped on top of the heads leaving the crank, cam and bearings starved.

Madmaxwell87

Observer
You should pull your valve covers and make sure your oil return holes are not clogged before you take a long highway trip. I found this to be a common problem on higher mileage ford 302 & 351 engines that led to the failure of many engines last century while I was a mechanic.
At low rpms enough oil would drain back to the pan to keep everything lubed, at high rpms most of the oil would be trapped on top of the heads leaving the crank, cam and bearings starved.
Thanks for the heads up. I actually drove it over 300 miles this weekend. I know the oil pressure gauge in the dash is a dummy gauge but it never moved on the long grades I had to drive or at 2,200 rpm cruising speed. I'll still take a look at this when I take them off.

Madmaxwell87

Observer
Bronco made the trip this weekend perfectly.

Loaded with the GF, dog, and supplies for a weekend its a little slow off the line and for passing maneuvers. 3.73s and 33s with a fairly tired old engine don't mix well. Despite the Solo Motorsports dash support that I put in right before we left there was still plenty of rattles on every bump. The trim to cover the top mounting bolts is loose and I think the panel in the tailgate rattles despite my attempts to keep it from doing that. The door panels have all new clips and hardware so they're pretty good.

It never got hot, didn't burn any oil, got ~11 mpg through the mountains and cruising ~70. Other than the rattles the only real issue is the front suspension is a little stiff. The Desolate coil and dual Bilstein 5100s give it a controlled ride without a lot of lean despite not having a front sway bar. However every little expansion joint/ pot hole shook the whole truck. The tires are only a load range C but have 3 ply sidewalls and were at ~32 psi at ambient temp so not much room to go down there. I think it's mainly down to the coil. Eventually it will get coilovers but theres more to do before that so just going to live with it. The seats help absorb a lot.
20201024_174505.jpg

Madmaxwell87

Observer
Finally got the Rugged Radio 50w radio mounted to the center console. Now to run power for it and the switch panel. Also have to mount the external speaker when its back in the truck as I am going to put it on the right side upright as close to the dash as the glovebox will allow.
20201026_204426.jpg

Hayduke950

Observer
Loving it! Makes me want to do a little more work to my daily driver.

58499451003__F7634356-C4BF-472B-BFF7-CE4369765CC1-M.jpg

Madmaxwell87

Observer
Got the trans fluid changed out this weekend. I drained the torque converter as well and it made a good mess but otherwise was smooth. Installed a stock style pan but with a drain bolt like it should have always been. The fluid that came out was darker than I thought it would be so thats good. Pan magnet had a good amount of metal shavings on it but I doubt the trans has been rebuilt in its 211k life.

jackflash

Observer
No build thread. Maybe I should create one. We use it mainly has our weekend overlander/camping rig. It was between the Bronco and a 90s model Land Cruiser.

Details:
1993 Ford Bronco Custom (a little over 60k original miles)
4" Lift, Custom Springs Front and Rear
Extended Arms
Yukon Axle Shafts
4.56 Gears
TrueTrac Front and Rear
ARB Diff Cover
LubeLocker Gasket on pretty much everything
285/75-17 tires
Method Wheels
A bunch of other small things that have been done

Been thinking of upgrading the steering to the Desolate complete system. How do you like it?

It goes where ever you point it.

Madmaxwell87

Observer
Thats a nice build! Mine should end up pretty similar to yours.
How do you like the 4.56s and 34's? 3.73 and 33s with a tired motor doesn't make a fun vehicle (especially loaded up trying to pass on the highway/ grades) but 4.56s are a little steep until I get 35s.
What Arms are you using?

The steering is great. The stock stuff on there when I bought it was VERY worn out so instead of replacing it I wanted to upgrade to the F350/Ambulance steering. It's much beefier and having a full set of new joints is great. That along with the Redhead box has made the steering amazing even with wide and heavy 33s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles