Pressurize a camper

1stDeuce

Explorer
We've had quite a bit of dust intrusion through the door seals of our truck camper at times. We just shrug and clean it out when it happens, but I'll have to try running the roof vent fan to bring air into the camper on dusty roads. We use it to suck in the soft walls to put the top down, so it makes sense that it would pressurize the camper enough to keep dust from coming in the back door... Why didn't I think of that?? :)

dstefan

Yeah -- I really like the look of Jay's new solid cabover with a contrasting color. Much nicer. I really wanted to do that, but went with the extra height instead so I could sit up in bed. The penalty of being tall . . .

Since dust is a current topic, I'll continue my build posts with a couple of things I did not mentioned so far. First, this stuff is really great, if you haven't used it.

It's not just for tailgates! I think I've bought at least three of these. BTW, I'll show links sometimes, but I have no affiliation and don't make money on any of them.

Jay's bulb sealing on the barn doors and windoors is very good, but not perfect. If you want dust free, gotta add some. I used the ESI tailgate seal in several places, especially the barndoor/tailgate cap border (and of course the tailgate). The outer seal is Jay's, the inner one is added.
View attachment 699496

View attachment 699497
I still got a bit of dust under the doors when I was blowing the back off with the compressor, so I added this:
View attachment 699498
The ESI adhesive is really good, but it didn't hold that well on my tailgate cap initially after a few uses, so I put a new one on and used this:

It's for VHB tape on what 3M calls low energy surfaces (basically not metal or glass). I've used it a lot and it really works for a nearly permanent bond. Works great on the ESI seal adhesive.

The hatches/windoor seals are fine, but after a year, I've tightened up the clamp arm (?) on latches (not sure what to call it, but you can see it in the first picture of this post on the back of the barn door) to eliminate a very small gap.

The other thing I did that I think has really helped get to nearly zero dust is a positive pressure vent (PPV). Here's the outside:
View attachment 699500
and the inside:
View attachment 699501
Because our campers are big square blocks in the back, they create a lot of aerodynamic drag and and backdraft that showers the back doors in dust. With any speed (>10mph) on long dusty roads we are also creating low pressure inside the camper that sucks dust through any gap. The PPV allows clean(ish) air to be sucked/blown in from the front and stops the vacuum effect, including when we get on the highway after being offroad. Driving at high speeds further sucks in the dust without some equalization.

The PPV is a marine vent for boat hatch covers.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/lewmar--cabin-hatch-vent-trim-kit--P024_720_004_502?pCode=2678175

I talked to Jay about this and he had me bring it up and installed it when my camper went on the truck. It's a simple install -- 3" hole saw and four screws to fasten the inner section through the wall to the outer vent with a bead of sealant. This is completely waterproof and has a O-ring plunger type closure from the inside. I just added some inch thick dacron aquarium filter material I had hanging around and found some spring steel strips to hold it in. Stays very clean and breathes well.

Here's an example after 25 miles of offroad. You can see where the dust stops, and this is before I beefed up the tailgate to barndoor seal. I'm always in totally dusty conditions and it's really been worth it for me. YMMV.
View attachment 699510

Next post -- electrical . . .
The bottom of this post describes my PPV and sourcing. A lot of Ovrlnd camper owners are now using this and the builder is offering as an option. Very effective and easy to install. Not expensive.

Reactions: WVI

WVI

Adventurer
There's a Tuber(Gonagain) that has fought this in their small utility trailer camper.
There's a small "scoop" shaped vent at the front of the trailer. It's facing forward I believe, and when moving it takes in just enough air to keep the dust down significantly inside the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94