Preserving a G?

JCH4

Observer
I was under my new to me G this weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of rust (plus solid chassis). There was some surface rust in the very rear near and slightly above the fuel tank. I scrapped and wire brushed off the rust to the best of my ability and coated with Waxoyl (a product I have used with great result on my old Series Rovers). What are problem spots on G500s and how to best access to spray with waxoyl? Anyone else done this to their G?

The largest amount of rust I have found was on the top portion of the rear door which you can only see from above. Anyone else have rust here? A common problem?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I was under my new to me G this weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of rust (plus solid chassis). There was some surface rust in the very rear near and slightly above the fuel tank. I scrapped and wire brushed off the rust to the best of my ability and coated with Waxoyl (a product I have used with great result on my old Series Rovers). What are problem spots on G500s and how to best access to spray with waxoyl? Anyone else done this to their G?

The largest amount of rust I have found was on the top portion of the rear door which you can only see from above. Anyone else have rust here? A common problem?

LUCKILY, not much here save for a spot under the pass front windshield, front US marker light placement(it's been an inside Portland rig since it was imported from Germany in '81). I've seen some surface rust under the front vinyl flooring, in the taillight pockets, in LR barn door pocket. I was thinking POR-15 but need to confirm with my body shop.

Worst areas on the old W460's are rear taillight buckets, rocker panels, bottoms of doors, under front windshield, around front/top fender turn signals.

What year is yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles