Presentation and looking for a chassis

Link_cat

Thanks for taking your time @Sitec ! I've been researching and this options are ok, but not fits perfect what we're looking for..

Will ask, but don't showing the km usually means a lot of km! A little heavy I guess.

I saw it before, but i discarded because 200.000km and looks frayed. I let it park, not a bat option, but expecting something better.

This is my pick... Clean and later cab.
Looks good, but 240.000km is a lot, well, this trucks can arrive to 1.000.000, but I'm more comfortable looking for something with less 100.000km, firetrucks i saw are always looking better. This big trucks are heavier and a lot of hard work on this behinds. I let it parked.

I really like, but 347.000 km and so heavier..

Here's an extra cab and what looks like a 4.2m wheelbase...

And if the budget allows here's my 'wild card'. Late truck, decent power, big boots, extra cab, and a crane to sell. :)
605.000km and 18.850€

And if you can't decide which way to go, then this ones got it covered!!!!! ;)

hahahhaha

;););)

Just got an answer about the 1019AF, it has the OM 401 919 10 235924. It cost 12.800€. The seller told me that can go at 97km/h (60mph) but he don't know if it has the fast axles. What do you think, should wait to other options? I guess yes!

Last edited:

Link_cat

Do you know how can i know if it has de fast axles? The 1120 i'm looking for have the 1. axel: 39:8 and 2. axel 43:10. He told me that max speed is 90-95km/h (55-60mph) Thaaaanks!!!

A little expensive but have also the 366LA and very low mileage!

Sitec

Adventurer
Mine has the 'slow axles' I believe as it is flat out at 95kmh. Neil (Cloud 9)would be able to tell you more as I believe he has done he swap... I drove a 1617 for a while in Africa that would happily do 120kmh so guessing that has the fast axles... It was a 4x2 though. Re kms on trucks, anything under 400000 or 500000 is not classed as high. I'd rather own a high km bigger truck (and do) than a low km smaller ex fire truck.... I used to be in the local fire brigade and was a regular driver... The pager sounds, and we leave the station flat out from cold on short trips. Not ideal. Yes they are well maintained but being flogged from cold every time is not ideal.. Just my thoughts tho.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Do you know how can i know if it has de fast axles? The 1120 i'm looking for have the 1. axel: 39:8 and 2. axel 43:10. He told me that max speed is 90-95km/h (55-60mph) Thaaaanks!!!

A little expensive but have also the 366LA and very low mileage!
The only way is to get the vin from the seller, you can then lookup the I axle ratio in the Mercedes EPC (which I recommend you buy as it is pretty inexpensive and will help once you get a truck). Ours is a "fast" ratio, but not the fastest. To now get the fastest it is about 5k euros in parts.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Also, once you convert to single rear wheels the tires will be larger in diameter, so a higher top speed. If my memory is correct, I think we gained 6mph (though my memory is terrible). The larger tires do mess up the speedo though.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Oh, and one last comment. Buy the best truck you can afford. I think it is cheaper in the long run than fixing one that is not in as good of condition. Also fuel mileage is important if you will be on a budget (we will be). Not sure how to get fuel mileage on these trucks but lighter has to be better, as long as it can handle your habitat with a good safety margin.

pairospam

Observer
Hi, Link_cat:

Well... adding chaos to your already difficult choice, I would give a very profound look to the dropside 1622 for sale in Vilnius. Looks like they have taken pretty good care of it, from the outside and from the inside, and that tells a lot of what to expect.

As Sitec pointed before, having 500.000 km on the frame means almost nothing to these frames and engines provided that they are decently serviced.

220 HP is power enough to go on with a heavy Box, bigger tires, lots of fuel and beer, fast as needed with no big effort and thus with not awfull consumption. I ignore which engine it has, in line or V, but spares are easy to source all around. Mercedes has a reputation for that.

Greetings.

Pairoa

Link_cat

Hahaha I guess other did!

T'he seller gave me the vin of the 1120af:

WDB67718315367909

Looking at vin decoder it has 366LA and he told me also that it have the axles 1. axel: 39:8 and 2. axel 43:10.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Looks to be exactly like our truck. With the larger tires we can cruise at 60mph without pushing the truck too hard. If down the road lack of power becomes an issue you can upgrade the engine to up to 280hp with injector/injector pump changes. Mercedes offered this engine up to 280hp from the factory. I am by no means an expert (having seen exactly one truck like this, ours), but the om366la seems to be a nice smooth engine. One other thing, from my reading turbo engines work better at altitude. Not sure if this is true but seems to make sense (if anyone really knows, please jump in). This was one reason I wanted the turbo 6 as our plans include heading to Patagonia.

Link_cat

Now the spanish TÜV are Looking the papers, but they told me that is going to be dificult because the vehicle is reristered in Norway and Norway are out of the European market. Will see next days. I Will try that the next post i answer is going to be a photo of our New truck!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles