Presentation and looking for a chassis

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hiya
I think the UK maximum rear overhang is something like 60% of the wheelbase.
A shorter wheelbase for any given chassis will hopefully produce a smaller turning circle.
A longer chassis will make it easier to achieve equal front to rear weight distribution depending on what weight you plan to put where inside, how long a cab you end up with, and how much you may hang off the back. Equal front to back should be better on soft ground.

devonojas

Would love to see ideas of motorcycle/spare tire lifting racks on the back of trucks. I am thinking of a vertical linear rail system. Some of the professional builders have some really nice ones but I am pretty sure most of them would be out of our budget (not to mention fabrication skills). We are building a foam cored composite box so the lift will need to be chassis mounted. Although not hugely important (though gives you an idea of size) our truck is an 1988 1120AF. Another thing is we are building this in the USA, so it would need to be fabricated here.

Have fun there, maybe one day when we ship to Europe we can attend with our truck. I am sure I would learn a lot and likely should have gone before we started this build.
Would love to see ideas of motorcycle/spare tire lifting racks on the back of trucks. I am thinking of a vertical linear rail system. Some of the professional builders have some really nice ones but I am pretty sure most of them would be out of our budget (not to mention fabrication skills). We are building a foam cored composite box so the lift will need to be chassis mounted. Although not hugely important (though gives you an idea of size) our truck is an 1988 1120AF. Another thing is we are building this in the USA, so it would need to be fabricated here.

Have fun there, maybe one day when we ship to Europe we can attend with our truck. I am sure I would learn a lot and likely should have gone before we started this build.

I'm trying to put the same thing together. I also attended Abenteuer & Allrad and was on the lookout for them. I was only there for one day, so I only got to see the stuff being exhibited. Here's my intel.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9390.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9390.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 4

devonojas

On our 1120 we are building a 17' (just over 5m) habitat. It does have a slight angle at the rear, much like the trucks you took pictures of. One thing while trying to make a decision on which truck I tried to get a rough idea of fuel mileage. The only trucks I knew that were sort of similar had the inline six and reported around 12 mpg. Been a while since I checked ours but without the habitat and the smaller tires we got just under 13 mpg on the highway. I hope we will still get around 12 when complete.

Back to the tire/motorcycle lifts. Thanks for the pictures, I really like the bottom gray one. Any idea where they sourced the sliding portion? The design seems simple enough to build but not sure about how to keep the rails sliding smoothly?

Continued inspiration photos:

devonojas

Needless to say, I have not cracked the code on these vertical sliding components. Would be very grateful if anyone in N America has ideas on how to source them!!!

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
I am thinking about going with a hinged lift now but this is what I came up with when looking into the vertical rail design.

Link_cat

Hi guys a little update here!

We're looking for trucks every day and the market is worse than I though, in these weeks I saw this options:
  • 1222AF 216ps OM421 = 14.000€ = discarded old engine.
  • 1019AF 192ps (waiting for the vim, but I guess is the OM 352 or OM 401) = 13.000€ = not much info about 1019, but this particular seems new!
  • 1222AF 216ps OM421 slow axles, because it says 89km/h max = 15.000€
  • 1019AF 192ps (waiting for the vim to, I guess is the om 352 or 401) = 13.000€
We can't spend more than 14k€, because later we have to put more money to make other things. What do you think guys? I'm missing any source?

For me the 1222A is good value, because it can't be under 7.5 tonnes, so German people don't want it (the old regular license in Germany allow only to 7.5t), and I think that 1222 can have 362, 366 (LA?), 421, 441 (LA?) and 442 (I'm not sure about it). The most modern and efficient I think is the 441 (LA), but I can't find anyone.

The 1220 and 1224 are better trucks, but is impossible to get one for a decent price.. Get in touch!

Neil

Observer
From memory i don't think the 1019 has the straight 6 om352 engine.

I think it was a non turbo bigger in engine. maybe about 9 litre or similar.

From memory ( therefore totally unreliable )

Good luck with your search

Neil

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
As far as I know the om366 trucks would end in 17, 20, 24 or 28. There is a member here with a 1224 that just had a bliss mobile habitat built. During our search the LN2 trucks seemed to be a little more expensive than the 1017 trucks (which i think would be a great truck to try and find).

Link_cat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94