PreRunner lockers vs. 4x4

drobb

Adventurer
Any insight to this would be helpful.

I spend a TON of time at the desert.....soft sand mostly and I use my 4wheel drive on my current Dodge 1500 everytime to get to and from campsites/ dunes, etc.

Thinking about getting a Tacoma DoubleCab, v6, 4x4 with a manual transmission.....if I can find one......most seem to be the PreRunners with lockers.

My question is: How would lockers in a Tacoma PreRunner compare/handle to true 4x4 in the soft sand?

Cuz git'n stuck ain't no fun!

Thanks,
D.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've seen a ton of posts on the various Toyota forums from people who thought a 4x2 with a rear locker was "almost as good" as a 4x4.

And a lot of those people were asking the same question: How do I convert my pre-runner to 4wd?

OTOH, I don't think I've ever seen anybody post a message saying "I really don't like 4wd and I want to get rid of my 4wd.

IMO "Pre-Runner" trucks are solely for those who want the look of a 4x4 but don't want to actually go off road. At best they are good for well graded dirt roads. I drove a 4x2 Ranger with slightly oversized tires and a LSD for almost 4 years and I was wise enough to avoid anything where it looked like traction would be an issue.

drobb

Adventurer
That's kinda what I was thinking.....4x4 would handle better than lockers.

Is it me or is it difficult to find a Tacoma DoubleCab, v6, 4x4 with a manual transmission?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Is it me or is it difficult to find a Tacoma DoubleCab, v6, 4x4 with a manual transmission?

Gen 1 (95.5-04) it is impossible as it was not offered from Toyota. Gen 2 (05-current) they are out there and somewhat common, I see them pretty regularly around these parts but I've only seen a couple of non-4x4 and 4 cyl Tacomas up this way and most of them had Cali or AZ plates :D

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
That's kinda what I was thinking.....4x4 would handle better than lockers.

Is it me or is it difficult to find a Tacoma DoubleCab, v6, 4x4 with a manual transmission?

You must be talking 05- up because the 01-04 DC taco was never available with a manual. And the 05-up is only available with a manual with the short bed. Long beds are all automatics.

Gerdo

Observer
My 4runner is a 5 speed manual 4x4. Just for kicks on a trail (Kane Creek in Moab) I drove the first 1/4 in 2wd and used my rear locker if I needed it instead of going into 4wd. It did great.

The big up side to 4wd is the Lo range gearing and that the front wheels are pulling the vehicle over/thru obstacles where 2wd has to push the front wheels into then over the obstacle. Lo range is a huge advantage. I wish I had Lo 2wd most of the time.

My opinion? 4wd, even unlocked, will do more than a locked 2wd. And easier.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Sand and snow are some of the conditions where 4wd with open differentials is better than RWD with a locker. Prerunners do have desert heritage, but I believe they rely on high speed and momentum. It would be very easy to become hopelessly stuck if you are moving slowly in deep sand or trying to resume progress after stopping. The exceptions are the rear-engined 2wd buggies with rear flotation tires, which absolutely excel in the sand. Pick-ups generally have too much forward weight bias for RWD to be effective in loose material surfaces.

A RWD with a locker can out-perform an open 4wd on uneven trails that stretch the suspension and lift tires. For situations where the tire on each end of the axle has about the same traction, open 4wd performs much better.

Yes, unfortunately the 4wd double cab is only available with the auto tranny in its first generation. In the current generation, you can get one with a 6-speed gearbox though. :sombrero: Many prefer auto trannies in sand because they help maintain momentum between shifts and respond quickly to bogging, as long as the tranny temperatures are kept at reasonable levels.

I have manually-locking front hubs and a rear locker and I agree, on trails, the 2wd-low is very capable. For snow or sand of considerable depth, I have to lock the front hubs without question.

Last edited:

rsbmg

Observer
If you are going to take your vehicle off the pavement there is really no good argument for a 2 wheel drive either with or without a locker other than thats what I have and thats all I can afford.

Anyone who says 2wd w/a locker is almost as good as a 4wd simply is not driving anyplace you really need 4wd. Thats ok though you can have fun off pavement but you really need to be aware of your limitations and even then expect to be stuck sometimes.

cmgraves

Observer
Here is a link to toyotas certified vechiles, where you can access all avilable used toyotas at most dealerships. I'm not sure if they created a filter with auto, 4x4, double cab, ect. but either way is a good solid avenue to follow for a good used toyota, and hopefully give you an extra tool for hunting your manual tranny.

http://www.toyotacertified.com/

Howski

hands down 4x4. my friend had a pre-runner taco with bfg at's which regularly got stuck. another friend had a open diff 4x4 taco with street tires and he could always go so much further than the pre-runner. in mud or sand, you will get killed in 2wd, even with a locker. 4x4 all the way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz