Prerunner Bumpers

My stock bumper on my '08 GMC Sierra 2500HD will need to be replaced soon. I have always liked Prerunner-style bumpers, and am considering having someone fabricate one for me. I'm thinking 1.5" tubing and a 1/4" aluminum plate in the middle. I don't wheel, but travel in the desert a lot and want a better approach-angle and something to guide the brush under/away from the truck.

Does anyone have any experience building a bumper like this?

Any ideas for integrating the stock fog lights?

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Here's what I have in mind:

48263d1310449664t-prerunner-bumper-image-189768713.jpg

I like this one, too:

102_2812.jpg

bftank

Explorer
i would use 2" tube more visually appealing on a larger truck. for integrating lights instead of a stinger do like they did in the second pic and then mount the lights under and behind that bar, so it serves as protection. prerunner bars are function over function

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking of adding two additional plates in those open side areas and recessing the fog lamps in those. Those open areas will collect brush and allow too much sand to get in.

2" tube is probably a good call; thanks!

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
Here's some pics of a bumper I had built in '06 for my old '95 chevy......Prerunner/winch bumper

Attachments

• laughlin07 013.jpg
    laughlin07 013.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 60
  • laughlin07 014.jpg
    laughlin07 014.jpg
    788.1 KB · Views: 45

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
I would not use 2-inch tube unless you NEED it. Trophy Trucks run 2-inch because they may ram into something at 80mph. 1.75-inch I think is perfect for a full-size truck and also less weight. Jared at Addictive Desert Designs who made one of those bumpers you posted is a really good guy and will build you something custom.

Here's some pics of a bumper I had built in '06 for my old '95 chevy......Prerunner/winch bumper

Nice. Looks good. I like the basics of the design.

Something you may be interested in. Not mine: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/2691535941.html

Thanks. Not quite what I'm looking for, and pretty far from me, but I appreciate the thought!

I would not use 2-inch tube unless you NEED it. Trophy Trucks run 2-inch because they may ram into something at 80mph. 1.75-inch I think is perfect for a full-size truck and also less weight. Jared at Addictive Desert Designs who made one of those bumpers you posted is a really good guy and will build you something custom.

I don't know what the final product would weigh for this type of design, but that's a good point to consider.

I had looked at ADD, but their prices seemed very high considering the simplicity of something like this. I'm sure I can have one built semi-locally for a fraction of the cost.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My friend's got a mild steel ADD on his '05 CTD. He lives by the beach in Encinitas. The bumper's four yrs old now and looks like new. Personally,I'd have them panel the exposed openings on the sides. I don't understand the "open" look. I would think that filling in those openings would afford greater protection and enhance airflow around the truck. Fit and finish were super btw.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Another option I'm looking at is this company's products. They are going to develop a non-winch bumper after the New Year that will conform to the stock bumper and weigh less than their current offering. www.backwoodsbumpers.com. The customer reviews are excellent. The standard one appeals to me. The Mad Max models are overkill.

Last edited:
Thanks. Those look good, but a bit too big for my taste. I'm thinking about having OutdoorLogic build me a custom design, but they're a ways away from me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles