Just building my 200 Series.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I mounted an ARB fuel can carrier on my Rhino rack and got some of the 360 lighting lights mounted. The rear brackets are on back order so that will be on pause for a couple of days.

I'm still planning on my AK trip so I have plenty to do.

Although I have a 40 gallon aux tank. , I feel better being able to have some extra gas ,just in case, like if the transfer pump fails .

IMG_20200402_190546364_HDR.jpg1.jpgIMG_20200402_190554316_HDR.jpgIMG_20200402_190605068_HDR.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Do you take into account elevation related pressure changes with those jerry cans?
I used a pair of steel cans like those and they became permanently deformed after going from sea level to 5-6,000’. Also I got covered in fuel when I opened one at that altitude, lol.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Do you take into account elevation related pressure changes with those jerry cans?
I used a pair of steel cans like those and they became permanently deformed after going from sea level to 5-6,000’. Also I got covered in fuel when I opened one at that altitude, lol.

Never had an issue in using them for over 20 years. The trick is to never fill the can completely and only open and refuel in the cool mornings. These are high quality Wavian NATO cans.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader

I have used them thru out the areas, from Utah to Colorado. Deep in the canyons of Copper Canyon in Mexico and never had a issue...Plus they hold more gas then the Rotopacks and for me that's a plus!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have used them thru out the areas, from Utah to Colorado. Deep in the canyons of Copper Canyon in Mexico and never had a issue...Plus they hold more gas then the Rotopacks and for me that's a plus!
The LCs need a fuel truck following them in AK. ?. One of the big reasons I got rid of mine and my recent purchase was not Toyota. Have a good trip don’t go crazy prepping my neighbors kids did a two month trip up there last summer in a Camry. Had a great trip.

We just completed the Alcan 5000 Winter Rally in Feb/Mar (seems so long ago now). During the rally, we completed the entire length of the Alcan, the Dempster (including up to Tuk and also out to Aklavik on the ice road), the Dalton up to Coldfoot, and then down to Anchorage. Fuel was plentiful, even being winter. We did have 1 location where the fuel station was shut down with no power and a few people ended up needing a little of the carry fuel. We were driving a 2dr Rubicon in 4wd most of the way and got around 15mpg overall. We did fuel up on the Dempster on the way back down from Inuvik (at the Arctic Circle), mainly because we didn't stop at Ft. McPherson (station didn't open for an hour or so and we had a lot of miles to do that day - ~730). Fueling with a jerry can at -30f is fun. The crappy CARB nozzle snapped off inside the tank. Combination of the filler design on the Jeep and the plastic not liking the very cold gas. Ended up emptying one of the jerry cans at the Arctic Circle on the Dalton too, figured why not, had to use them up to ship the vehicle back.

Bottom line, while there can be some distance between fuel (as they say, never pass gas on the Alcan), as long as you pay attention and know your usage, you'll be fine without carrying a tanker's worth of fuel. If you have an aux tank, I would carry a spare fuel transfer pump instead of the jerry cans. The extra weight (especially up high) and hassle of them wouldn't be worth it in my mind. Carry a Milepost and go through each of the roads you're planning on taking, highlight all the fuel stations, there's quite a lot.20200303_100243.jpg

A couple of videos

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
We just completed the Alcan 5000 Winter Rally in Feb/Mar (seems so long ago now). During the rally, we completed the entire length of the Alcan, the Dempster (including up to Tuk and also out to Aklavik on the ice road), the Dalton up to Coldfoot, and then down to Anchorage. Fuel was plentiful, even being winter. We did have 1 location where the fuel station was shut down with no power and a few people ended up needing a little of the carry fuel. We were driving a 2dr Rubicon in 4wd most of the way and got around 15mpg overall. We did fuel up on the Dempster on the way back down from Inuvik (at the Arctic Circle), mainly because we didn't stop at Ft. McPherson (station didn't open for an hour or so and we had a lot of miles to do that day - ~730). Fueling with a jerry can at -30f is fun. The crappy CARB nozzle snapped off inside the tank. Combination of the filler design on the Jeep and the plastic not liking the very cold gas. Ended up emptying one of the jerry cans at the Arctic Circle on the Dalton too, figured why not, had to use them up to ship the vehicle back.

Bottom line, while there can be some distance between fuel (as they say, never pass gas on the Alcan), as long as you pay attention and know your usage, you'll be fine without carrying a tanker's worth of fuel. If you have an aux tank, I would carry a spare fuel transfer pump instead of the jerry cans. The extra weight (especially up high) and hassle of them wouldn't be worth it in my mind. Carry a Milepost and go through each of the roads you're planning on taking, highlight all the fuel stations, there's quite a lot.View attachment 577496

A couple of videos

Thanks This will be my second trip We drove to Deadhorse and Tuk in 2018 . We are going to explore a bit further off road than our first trip.

Attachments

• IMG_20180717_123046792_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180717_123046792_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 105

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Added an ARB skid plate . I should clarify I had 20 years to build my FJ60 and now I'm attempting to do the same amount to work in about a year.

I'm deciding on whether to do gears or not. 33" tires and pulling an almost 3K trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_164400144_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200405_164400144_HDR.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20200405_164422787.jpg
    IMG_20200405_164422787.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 91

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Finished up the side and rear floodlights. Although I hate getting camp late having these will make setting up easier. I have to test the Bluetooth Trigger controller to see if the remote will work from within the trailer. Could be good bear control.

IMG_20200420_201802936.jpgIMG_20200420_201817409.jpg

kpredator

Adventurer
Nice rig!!
I’d recommend taking the Alaska marine
Highway for part of your trip!!!
They have been having some funding
And maintenance issues. But if things
Open up we will make a July to sept
Trip!!!!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
That would be nice but the cost would cost more that I spent on my last three month trip. I did take the ferry from Skagway to Haines and it was well worth it.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I would get a second transfer pump as well over adding fuel cans. LRA has a new, quieter and faster transfer pump available. I'd replace your current one with it and carry your original as your spare. Best of luck with the trip, it should be amazing.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I added an Dobinsons rear bumper. This is a well designed bumper. Swing out locks to hold the bumper in place and the tire is down low to keep rear window visibility. I'm thinking of moving the MaxTrax from the roof to the rear tire.

thumbnail (1).jpgthumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (3).jpgthumbnail (4).jpgthumbnail.jpgthumbnail (6).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior