Prepping High Mileage 2.7l for Hot Weather Road Trip

PHeller

Adventurer
I should've been preparing for this months ago, but here I am a few days away from taking my 193,000 mile 2.7l Tacoma for a 1600 mile road trip. While we're setting records for high temps in the Southwest.

Route is Flagstaff to San Francisco. Only off-road travel will be for dispersed camping. The plan is to go from Flagstaff to Las Vegas, camp the night at Lake Mead, and head for Yosemite via Rt 95. Camp in Inyo National Forest, and then spend the day in Yosemite before heading to the Pacific.

No matter how I swing it, there doesn't seem to be a way to get over to the cooler eastern Sierras without crossing Death Valley.

My Tacoma is stock, with a service 1000 miles ago. 5w30 oil (which I think is too thin for this weather). I've got 5w40 Rotella T sitting in the bottle, but would need to drain some quarts to use it. No overheating issues currently. Loud valve train noise when its hot.

Could I remove the thermostat for better flow without draining the radiator?

mtnkid85

Adventurer
I should've been preparing for this months ago, but here I am a few days away from taking my 193,000 mile 2.7l Tacoma for a 1600 mile road trip. While we're setting records for high temps in the Southwest.

Route is Flagstaff to San Francisco. Only off-road travel will be for dispersed camping. The plan is to go from Flagstaff to Las Vegas, camp the night at Lake Mead, and head for Yosemite via Rt 95. Camp in Inyo National Forest, and then spend the day in Yosemite before heading to the Pacific.

No matter how I swing it, there doesn't seem to be a way to get over to the cooler eastern Sierras without crossing Death Valley.

My Tacoma is stock, with a service 1000 miles ago. 5w30 oil (which I think is too thin for this weather). I've got 5w40 Rotella T sitting in the bottle, but would need to drain some quarts to use it. No overheating issues currently. Loud valve train noise when its hot.

Could I remove the thermostat for better flow without draining the radiator?

Are you having any issues right now?
I see no real reason to worry otherwise, especially if your mostly going down the highway at speed. There should be plenty of airflow through the radiator to keep a stock truck cool. And to answer your question, no, you would need to drain the system to access the thermostat.

As for the oil, meh, the factory manual calls for 5-30 so its probably been run by plenty of people for plenty of miles in the hot weather. Could you run the 5-40? Yea sure. But I would do a full oil change with it, don't just drain some quarts.

I would just check the normal stuff, make sure the fan clutch is operating properly, belts in good shape, coolant topped off and of proper mixture, air pressure in tires, ect.

Danimal

Adventurer
If it'd make you feel better and worry less, carry water to refill if you overheat. To me, it sounds like you won't need it with a 2.7L that has no history of overheating issues, etc. The one time I felt the need to carry water was the time that the old Dodge made it just fine. The time I didn't bring water was when the overheating happened...

Dan

98AT

I wouldn't have any concerns with overheating the 2.7L.... never heard of any issues anyways with overheating these engines.. I wouldn't hesitate to drive mine across Canada right now with 500,000kms on the old girl.... if you've kept up with maintenance they will go forever.

JLee

Adventurer
I saw 'high miles' and 'Tacoma' and was expecting a lot more than 193k. :p If you have valvetrain noise, have you checked valve clearances?

Don't remove the thermostat - it's going to be open once you're at temp anyway, and running without a thermostat results in longer warmup times (i.e. the engine is running cold longer than it should).

evilfij

Explorer
Other than flushing the radiator if that has not been done recently and carrying water and some silicone hose repair tape, I would just run it. If you keep an eye on temps and don't push it too hard I can't imagine you will have any issue.

2scars

Adventurer
Take a look at those, if they are bulging near the inlets, it may be worth your time. Belts, check for cracking, just regular periodic maintenance, at least grab them and have them in the truck. I drove from VA to UT years ago and those were the items I had in my spares. There was a time that you just carried those things, at least the belts, for just in case.

Brandon

99Yota

Observer
What year is your Tacoma?

Valvetrain might be something good to have checked if you have time.

Before I had my head rebuilt, I had a slight misfire which wouldn't go away even after changing both coils, plugs, wires and running several bottles of injector cleaner. I drove it this way for about 30K because dealership said no need to adjust valves. Turned out that I had burned exhaust valve (#3). Perhaps most annoying is that it could have been prevented had I had the valves checked/ adjusted. I think every 50k after 100k is probably a safe schedule.

Radiator- I think this is the #1 thing to check depending on age. Mine sprung a leak at 17 yrs old - the top tank turned this brownish army green color- the hairline crack was about 1" long. Luckily, I caught it just 3 miles from my home and replaced it along with new hoses along with the thermostat. Hoses were fine- just preventative maintenance as I see it.

Belts- there are 3. If you can still read the manufacturer label on the outer surface, they are likely still good. If you can see small cracks- probably good to change. No need to remove the fan but will need to snake it around the individual blades if you choose to do it yourself.

If nothing else, bring along a 3gal jug of water. This could be a gamechanger if you do spring a leak and need to limp to a nearby service station. Otherwise, thermal management will be a nightmare trying to get to said service station.

I experienced all of the above - made the repairs and recently took a trip to Big Bend National Park where the temperatures were easily over 100. Non stop AC and vehicle never broke a sweat- even at 211K miles.

Lonnie-S

Explorer in Training
Here's an old-time, but effective piece to take along with you: an evaporative water bag to hang on the front of the truck that will help cool the radiator. I'm sure you could find one in Flagstaff or Las Vegas. They've been around for ever.

I'm sure you're aware there is record heat right now in Death Valley - 123 degrees F was expected yesterday or today. Also keep in mind you'll have a big climb over Tioga Pass (9,943') to get to Yosemite Valley on Hiway 120, the only way over. The bag, and expendable water to fill it might be a nice insurance policy. The bag style you want is intentionally porous, and the evaporating water from it has a cooling effect on the radiator.

Good luck on your trip!

Water-Bag-1.jpgWater-Bag-2.jpg

aontkos

If you're the kind of person that gets off on piece of mind, then go ahead and do a coolant flush and change your radiator/hoses. You might as well change the thermostat while the system is drained.

But....I doubt you need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior