Prepping an 04 LJ for a teen to go west for a month or so

GFA

Adventurer
So the deal I made with my 16yr old son was to pay for a road trip out west as long as he gets good grades and is accepted into a decent college. With his junior year nearly over and a 3.8 GPA it's looking like I'll have to pony up the funds next summer. But first, we need to get his LJ right and ready. It's an 04 with about 160k on it and an auto tranny, 4" lift and 33's. We regeared it to 4.56's and put in a high pinion front while we were at it. Brakes ball joints etc are new. Just replaced the u joints in the drive shaft but still need to do the front shaft. We had overheating issues last summer when parked hot and re started a few minutes later but just finished installing a poison spyder hood louver to hopefully solve that. I plan to replace the radiator and water pump soon and noticed the champion cooling all aluminum radiator, is it any good? I'll also be installing an auxiliary tranny cooler at the same time. With the exception of the engine or tranny itself giving up the ghost in the next 12 months, I feel its mechanically ok for an 18yr old and a friend to head out in.

We also plan to build a storage box/sleeping platform in the rear with the seat removed for storage. Any LJ owners who have done similar that can point us to ideas? Any other things to do to it? He's only somewhat mechanically knowledgeable but I'm trying to learn him as much as a 16yr old is willing to learn. I'd rather not have him break down in the middle of nowhere if at all possible...

Desert Dan

Explorer
Sounds like a great plan/trip. Where does he want to go?

An LJ is a great platform and an 04 isn't too old.
Has he been working on the Jeep with you or are you doing most of it?

Spark plugs, fresh fluids and spare serpentine belt before the trip would be nice.

Do your son have an air compressor, tire patch kit and tools? I'd discuss what other kind of things could go wrong as well.

Break downs, field repairs and getting stuck are part of the experience.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Just a few thoughts...

If you had heat soak issues, they aren't likely to be solved by hood venting. It will help, but not address the root cause. I would think that a really good coolant flush with an acid flush and then a descaler followed by lots and lots of distilled water and then a full drain and refill with the right coolant will do more than hood vents. By 16 years (on the jeep) I would also be seriously looking at the fans. You are going to drop a lot of money in the radiator and other cooling accessories, make sure the fans and associated sensors are good too.

If you aren't already doing it, tranny flushes are critical. I would be more worried about sending someone out on a 160k auto tranny than any other component. Most anything else can be repaired in an autozone parking lot.

cwm

Observer
You might want to post exactly where "out west" he plans to go. Then he can have a list of people who could help him if needed. Also a list of off road shops/repair shops forum members are familiar with in case he needs repairs.

I made a somewhat similar trip when I graduated from high school.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
You might want to post exactly where "out west" he plans to go. Then he can have a list of people who could help him if needed. Also a list of off road shops/repair shops forum members are familiar with in case he needs repairs.

I made a somewhat similar trip when I graduated from high school.
This. The trans is what I would be worried about most. I would drop the pan and see what's in it before the trip.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
For month of sleeping, I would either 1, get a tent, or two, get a roof rack and RTT. He will be more comfortable, and put a fridge and cooking items in the back of the jeep.

GFA

Adventurer
The tranny is definitely my most cause for concern, I believe it to be on the original build so I'm thinking a rebuild 2-3 months before leaving is in order.

An acid flush of the cooling system is in the plans for next week so hopefully it'll help, if not I might consider swapping in a reman long block this summer.

I've been teaching him the basics such as tire repairs and he'll have the necessary tools to make those types of repairs. I just last week showed him how to replace u joints in his drive shafts after a quick rebuild. Small issues he seems to be able to figure out on his own, he's replaced items such as a PS pump on a trail, it's the major components I hope don't go wrong.

As far as where he's going, he's wanting to hit up SD badlands and Black Forest areas, then into WY at Devils tower. From there cut through MT back roads on the way to glacier for some hiking and backpacking. Then drop back into Wyoming to the Tetons. From there, he plans to spend at least two weeks all over parts of Colorado before dropping into Moab. I'll probably try to meet up with him in the telluride area and follow along to Moab for some trail riding together. He thinks he'll have time to go even further and into AZ or even CA but who knows, he'll likely run out of money before then...

Sleeping will be in a combination of the back of the jeep, tents and ENO hammocks.

Thanks for the ideas so far

kojackJKU

Tell him to be frugal with his money, pack MRE's instead of food, and keep going as long as he wants. stop at a town do some odd jobs for gas, keep going. He's only young once! get him a Delorme inreach to keep in touch at all times. He can text message you every day then even if out of cell range. Don't give a timeline. My 2 friends left our home town on a flight to England spent a year and a half in Europe and made it to morocco. They just moved until they ran low on money, grabed some odd jobs to get money to continue. It was the best time of their lives.

Having his own transportation, staying in the US and Canada, he is 100 percent safe.

GFA

Adventurer
Tell him to be frugal with his money, pack MRE's instead of food, and keep going as long as he wants. stop at a town do some odd jobs for gas, keep going. He's only young once! get him a Delorme inreach to keep in touch at all times. He can text message you every day then even if out of cell range. Don't give a timeline. My 2 friends left our home town on a flight to England spent a year and a half in Europe and made it to morocco. They just moved until they ran low on money, grabed some odd jobs to get money to continue. It was the best time of their lives.

Having his own transportation, staying in the US and Canada, he is 100 percent safe.

That is exactly what he plans to do and I had planned on the delorme also. I don't really care if he stays gone the whole summer as long as he's back in time for school. It was something I wish I had done at his age so I'm all for it.

Somehow when your 18yrs old, eating ramen noodles 3x daily for 2 weeks or more doesn't seem to bother you so food will probably be a small portion of the trip..

Mitch502

Explorer
The tranny is definitely my most cause for concern, I believe it to be on the original build so I'm thinking a rebuild 2-3 months before leaving is in order.

Did I miss it in the OP, is there any problem signs with the tranny? If not, I would think that the ~$1500 or so for a rebuild would be either better spent on recovery gear/etc, or money to just give him for the trip. I know you want him to be safe, but if you have to have the money in your bank account and if he calls you with tranny problems, send him the money. Have it flushed professionally with a machine so it's all new fluid (vs leaving a few old quarts in the torque converter) and use a quality OEM fluid. I don't see the need to spend that much money on something that isn't broke (if it aint broke, don't fix it!). Ball joints, steering components, etc I would consider worth replacing even if they're not broke, since they're lower cost and more likely failures.

Pack him extra parts that are small (extra ball joints, fluids, tire repair w/ full size spare, etc)

I just feel like $1500 could be better spent elsewhere.

kojackJKU

Good point, I was thinking the same thing but just thought there was an issue. Somewhat knowing knot knormal from here, I would figure there was an issue if he's worried about it. But if not, Toss amsoil in it and every other hole that takes lubricant and give 'r!

Coby65

Observer
I would get on the cooling issue right now. I have an 05 LJ manual transmission and I just went off reading this weekend on 90 degree heat and temp was never an issue. I do not have a vented hood or any mods to the stock cooling system except water wetter in the coolant.
Go ahead and get flush and fill done on the cooling system from a trusted shop. adding a aux auto trans cooler would be good, just run it in tandem through the factory setup.

Oh post up some exterior and interior pics and a list of modifications and we maybe able to critique better from there.

Oh and best money I have spent on my LJ.
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-182-lj-unlimited-security-drawer.aspx

GFA

Adventurer
If it ain't broke fix it till it is, right?

It seems to work fine although it shifts kinda funny at times. I think it's just the nature of it but I've got plenty of time to see what it's going to do.

The cooling is definitely my number 1 concern so we'll be working on it starting this week. We're gonna flush and acid wash the system, replace hoses, thermostat and water pump. The radiator is original so I'll be putting in a new one also, just need to decide on a stock replacement or an all aluminum such as the champion.

I'll post up more specs and mods later.

LR Max

Local Oaf
X whatever on radiator flush. Replace the T-stat, hoses, and radiator cap (I always forget to replace the cap, it is crucial).

Other than that, service everything and inspect everything, it should be fine. The only other area of concern I'd have is in the front axle. Seems like the Dana 30 U-joints go and so do the unit bearings (mind you, this comes from experience with others who wheel the piss out of their TJs). So I'd say go to the junkyard and get a spare set of front axle shafts with unit bearings attached. That would be super nice. Also update the U-joints on what you've got, assuming you haven't done it already.

Also replace the track rod bushings. I've seen these go bad and then the entire front end shakes like crazy. It isn't fun.

Other than that, give em an air compressor, a ARB plug kit (aka, a real plug kit), a decent cooler, and let it go. See what happens. And yes, ground tent. He is young.

rubicon91

Explorer
I love the fact you are doing this. I have twin 16 yr olds and we are looking at a jeep probably yj for one as his first. I would love in 2 years to set up a cool adventure for 1 or both if it works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior