Prepping a defender 130 for around the world..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So I really liked the size of the fender protection plates on this truck but the problem was that each side was 2 pieces and once I eliminated the external winch isolator safety button I had a big hole in it that needed covering..so what do you do when you can't find the fender protectors you want...you make your own of course.... Cut out a template the way you want, in this case I wanted one piece with just a little more protection, so slightly bigger than what was on there...

image.jpg

image.jpg

I will run this down to my local aluminum shop and see what thickness aluminum tread plate they have available...hopefully they can plasma cut it ..or I'll have to stock up on jigsaw blades..:(

Last edited:

lrover52

Bernard
Question: what is the use of a fender protection plate?

I see those on many Land Rovers, but see absolutely no use for them.

Possibly a protection plate on the bonnet, in order to walk on it as you get something in your roof-rack but on a fender?

x1000-11.jpg

The Yak

Observer
Question: what is the use of a fender protection plate?

I see those on many Land Rovers, but see absolutely no use for them.

Possibly a protection plate on the bonnet, in order to walk on it as you get something in your roof-rack but on a fender?

View attachment 335520

My fenders (wings) get trodden on nearly as much as the bonnet, usually as part of the climbing up/down process. That is why almost all Defenders used by UK utility companies that need roof access from the front have tread plates on the bonnet and fenders (wings).

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Yep....I walk on mine quite often also, they are also handy to stop damage in day to day use, I often find myself using them as a workbench or even just putting things on them when under the hood, the fender tops themselves are very easy to dent and look unsightly when they have a few dents in them, this stuff just looks tough..:) I designed my rollcage system so that I can walk completely around the truck without stepping on the ground, good for muddy areas or snow, high water etc etc and the fender plates make that transition easier..

rlynch356

Defyota
My 90 does not have fender protection - and is getting pretty beat up because of it.. so it will probably get them later this year.
i believe i am going with GMB mount ones which allow the wing top vents to sit flush instead of on top of the checker plate, and i can add in gas struts for the future hood spare as well.

i use my fenders for everything, access to to the roof, coffee making, shaving, tool holder area, beer table, you name it, Its perfectly flat.

Nice work shane !!

nathanwind

Observer
My 90 does not have fender protection - and is getting pretty beat up because of it.. so it will probably get them later this year.
i believe i am going with GMB mount ones which allow the wing top vents to sit flush instead of on top of the checker plate, and i can add in gas struts for the future hood spare as well.

i use my fenders for everything, access to to the roof, coffee making, shaving, tool holder area, beer table, you name it, Its perfectly flat.

Nice work shane !!

What's this "you" crap :)?

IMG_9333.JPG

rlynch356

Defyota
That's awesome Jason, Hey when someone offers to help - i say "Yes, Thank you" just like when i get offered a free beer :) or lunch

i think we may be doing it a 3rd time and re-installing the action Alt in my truck (its currently in Brian's) and moving my rebuilt one to his or using the other Action Alt that is now kicking around as a spare. So that will be me next time in the picture :)

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Hey Dave.... Not sure if you remember or not but we have met before....your pics of some of your adventures have in turn been an inspiration for some of our travel plans..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
It has always been in the back of my mind that at some time I would like to add a/c once we "settle" in one place for a while with this truck..I always hated the under dash a/c for its limited leg room, there is a great thread on the Australian Land Rover site for installing a roof mounted aftermarket a/c setup... I have the full length allisport intercooler so mounting a condenser on the front may provide some challenges, but other than that it should work out excellent, I already have left enough space at the rear of my overhead console and I can duct air though it also...
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutorials/159365-aftermarket-c-300tdi-dual-cab-8.html

maxingout

Adventurer
Hi Shane, I remember when we met you at your business in Fort Lauderdale and again at your wedding at Overland Expo. We enjoyed meeting you all and following your adventures. I have a 130 Defender in Mooloolaba that I can Import to the USA in four years since it is a 1995 model. I would like to make lots of modifications to the 130, and your thread is an inspiration.

This is our Ozzie Defender - http://overlanduni.com/landroverdefender.html

image.jpg

I am looking forward to getting the 130 going in OZ once again.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So after being told about the anti-scald temp setting shower mixer it seemed that was the way I had to go...found one on eBay cheap.(.$30) and went about reducing the fittings to take my 3/8 water hose...plumbed up everything in a piece of aluminum box I had laying around, installed a couple of the air line connectors that I found at harbour freight that are all plastic, this should stop the fittings from rusting with the water going through them and always being exposed outside to the elements..secured it into the box with 5200 as I have found this is the best way to stop stuff from vibrating itself out....bit of a pain if you have to remove it but..oh well..
image.jpg

You have hot and cold outlets on the top, then the temp regulator knob and then at the bottom you have the inlet connector...for either sucking water from another source or connecting a water hose to it..

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I've been a bit concerned about high water crossings and the engine ECU being so low in the seat box and getting wet, I have sealed up as much in the floor and firewall as possible but water always gets in when pressurized as defenders dont exactly have the best sealing history,especially the door seals...... I had a spare switch on the dash that is already run down into the battery box and switches on a relay....sooooooo, I bought two 500 GPH bilge pumps..these will be more than adequate to keep the water level down in the event of going through a deep river etc and getting delayed in the middle of it...I may even cut a 2" round hole in each battery box and keep it plugged until getting into a high water situation, this would allow water in the vehicle to flow into the battery box and then be bilged out..these are the non-automatic type as I think too much dust etc plays havoc with the switches...they were cheap, like $24 each..so why not..lol..

image.jpg

Plus I will make them easily detachable and on a plug, so if I need to pump water from a stream etc into water tanks or feed the shower pump these should do the job easily

Last edited:

bringthemap

I really like your shower set-up. Am thinking of something similar on my build. I was wondering if you had put any kind of filter on the water system? Would you be using it for drinking water as well or just for showering?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier