Prepping a defender 130 for around the world..

tacr2man

Adventurer
its quite easy to do using an old c02 extinguisher , of suitable size, just make sure you fit a safety blow off valve , i have fitted a pressure control cut off switch , so you just switch on the pump and then it stops and starts as the pressure changes. If using an old a/c pump make sure you use a suitable heat rated hose, as the output can get quite hot . HTSH

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So another one of the major mods is almost complete.. I designed a fuel and water tank system to fit in the forward lower section of the rear box.. This was a section which has an unusual shape and I couldn't see it being used for anything so I set about having a single tank made that is split down the middle.. Water in one side and diesel on the other.. Mocked up all the pieces and shapes and had them cut and took them off to my welder... Pretty happy with the end result..
image.jpg

Inside of both sides have baffles in them to limit the sloshing motion when not totally full..
image.jpg

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
The height of this also doubles as a seat inside...not a real comfortable seat, but a seat nonetheless
image.jpg

image.jpg

You can see the separation weld on the top plate... This should give me plenty of water and fuel for those remote locations..
image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Installed the rear side door gas struts.. And started mocking up the rear winch bumper...it's being made out of 1/4 inch steel plate and is secured to the rear crossmember with the old force points directly attached at the main securing points..
image.jpg

image.jpg

This section will also allow the attachment points for the rear roll cage and act as a step..
image.jpg

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I used a Ramsey winch as they seem to be the lowest overall height with their free wheeling release..
image.jpg

Rearmost section will be angled up to allow the best departure angle without sacrificing strength and space..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So with the tank installed it finally let's me install everything else that has to go in after it... This is the backside of the tool wall on the right hand side..this section will be made I to shallow shelf space with the elastic cargo netting over the fronts and will provide storage for things like wet weather gear, backup radios etc etc.. Lowest section will be storage box...still trying to figure out optimum space uses at the moment..
image.jpg

And with the tank installed the fridge fits nicely on top of the wheel well and snugly close to the tank..

image.jpg

Juddy

Adventurer
Is the fridge fixed?

I still have not decided how to mount mine, drop slide or just on one side fixed.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Man...demanding bunch of voyeurs...:) I mounted the engel slide lock tray..so the fridge slides in and secures in place, I will add tie downs either end just to give it that added security when I roll the truck over..:) been busy restoring my 1993 camel trophy defender 110..:).. Installed a set of terrafirma springs and have not been happy with the results.. So I got on the horn to ARB Australia and found the part number for the springs I wanted and rovers north got me the correct springs for the truck.. Since it will make the truck too tall to get out of my shop I had to take the truck out and will install them in a different shop.. Will post up pics real soon, been trying to sort out the installation of rear window glass at the moment as it had metal plates in place of the glass and I want windows..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Okay, another thing that I needed to do was get better airflow into the engine for the variable vane turbo, bigger intercooler and straight through exhaust with dual map performance ecu..but I also wanted a high Intake snorkel, since the exo cage I am doing goes right where the side fender intake is I can't use the standard td5 snorkel so I decided to go old school and make it come in Through the top of the fender.. I bought one of the aluminum blanking plates from SD outfitters, cut it out and welded some cut down 3" 90 degree intercooler pipes to it..I will run flexible hose to a snorkel pope like the older camel trucks and run 3" flex hose to a modified air I take box..I was concerned with bending the intake pipe if I stand on it at the fender so we made a small support brace you can see in the pics.. That should let it get plenty of cool dry air..:)
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Installed a GKN overdrive system..hoping with the upgraded intercooler, ecu and variable vane turbo that it will be a very useable item..
..image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
On top of that goes a safe that sits under the centre console tuffy box.. Mocked up the safe only to realize that the interior of the tuffy box would severely hinder the lid opening..so I had to cut it all up and modify it again.. The edges are yet to be finished off smooth but it is all totally sealed with an exterior sealer..

image.jpg

And once the safe is installed and the tuffy box in place from Inside the tuffy box (which is also lockable and steel) after you remove all the stuff and pull up the false floor.. You get..

image.jpg

The angle on the insides of the lid is to make it difficult for someone to pries it open..lock is a Medeco lock and is very difficult to pick.. The lock tab locks into a slot in reinforced angle so it would almost be impossible to lever it open from that way..

image.jpg

From inside the tuffy box... There will be a false floor over this..

Which will look basically like this..:)

image.jpg
So from the outside it just looks like a normal tuffy box..

image.jpg

And the only thing that is seen from the outside if you look under the 1/2 inch gap under the tuffy box viewed from under the seat.. You "might" be able to see something..:(

image.jpg

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Started making the rear cab switching control panel..this controls all the interior lights, the solar control panel, the main power and power for the electric poptop tent..

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94