Prepping a defender 130 for around the world..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
The threaded bolt goes right though and a pin goes through behind the nut.. the pin can't be removed unless you open the rear tyre carrier gate, and that can be locked..and we are planning on bringing her to expo and URE..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So I decided that I wanted to easily be able to turn on all of the upper perimeter lights at the flick of a switch..li call it my zombie mode...I also wanted to be able to turn them on remotely when we are up in the roof top tent, there were I stances where I wanted to completely illuminate the surrounds of the truck in the middle of the night..... I found a relay that is controlled by a remote control, so with the push of a button the relay switches on which in turn I wired to a larger 40 amp relay, this powers the 2 side lights, the large 52" front light and the 2 rear high mount reverse lights. But I also wanted to be able to turn the lights on independently so I needed to devise a system which stopped one light from back feeding the other lights... So I made a wiring harnes that has one power feed into 5 that incorporates a diode in each lead, this way the relay feeds each of the light banks without them being able to back feed the system when turned on individually... I kno it ain't no clock but I'm still hoping to get an invite to the White House...:)..
image.jpg

image.jpg
Heat shrinked and then all taped together..it ain't pretty but it works like a charm..
image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So with expo fast approaching its all hands on deck and working feverishly to get some stuff done..:)..
New drilled and slotted brakes..

Cleaned and re packed all the bearings at the same time and used the Lucas heavy duty wheel bearing grease..
image.jpg

image.jpg
Also changed the terrafirma springs with some ARB units..moved the fox racing shocks up a position on the adjustable shock towers.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Adjusted the length of the rear RTE castor corrected lower control arms..since I lifted it and installed these I have had a driveshaft rumble..found that I had angle on the forward universal joint but no angle on the rear. Giving the rear universal some drive angle should eliminate the rumble..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Now THIS is an inter cooler.. Not exactly as easy to install as i thought it would be,,
image.jpg

Added the the allisport upgraded heater core also..supposed to be a vast improvement over stock..
image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Finally got around to doing the EGR mod...this big hunk of unnecessary stuff comes off...I'm just gonna recite VWs emissions figures..:)
image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Also sealed off my airbox...I have a 3" flexible air hose that runs from the fender mounted snorkel elbo, cut the stock airbox intake pipe at the right point to allow the 3" hose to fit snugly inside it, coat with liberal amounts of 5200 and then seal all joints with the same, I left the stock water drain valve in place but sealed up the flaps, this way if I need to drain water out of the air box I can just pull the drain valve piece off the airbox..once it was all dry I filled the air box up with water and no leaks..:)painted it black and it's good to go....underwater..
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
It appears that the pre filter centrifuge does its job of separating heavier particles in the intake air... Think I might need to be modifying the catch bowl a little...
image.jpg

Reactions: J!m

DividingCreek

Explorer
Any pictures of her @ expo in the mire ? Looking through pictures on Dscource and didnt see any of her.

5200 is amazing stuff, been using it for years. Up here it takes days to "kick" and I have to use the quick cure.
Guessing this is a problem you don't have.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Douggy...we were there for all of about 4 hours and then turned around and drive back home.... I could see that the event was not going to be a fun one and stuff was being shut down left right and center.. I heard that there are a couple of shots of her around somewhere but I didn't get any.. Looking forward to Uwharrie..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online