Prepping a defender 130 for around the world..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Surprisingly enough, they are really cheap at the moment... Hard to believe they are selling them this cheap but I bought a few more just in case it's real..:) on eBay... Can't get the link to post but here is the description..

View item:
9inch 225W Cree Led Driving Spot Work Light 4WD Offroad Camping Replace ARB 96W

End Time: Sep 17, 2015, 10:19:03 AM EDT

Matto

Observer
Hard to believe they are selling them this cheap but I bought a few more just in case it's real..:)
That is cheap - surely a typo?

Tempted to order a couple for myself. Have you heard back about yours at all yet? Did the transaction go through?

Long time reader - first time commenter. Loving the work you're doing to the 130.

Cheers,
Matt

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Thanks Matto..
I bought one a while ago at $200 and that came in nicely.. The transactions on these went through but it usually takes a week or so to get here.. Hoping to see them any day now..I will update when I get them, then I just have to figure out what to do with them..lol..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Antique bottle opener doubles as a slideout pull handle?..

image.jpg

On demand pressure pump pumps water from the 30 gallon tank through the filtration system to a regular kitchen sprayer which is on a 5ft hose.. Makes it very useful.. And has plenty of pressure and flow..

image.jpg

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Goody package arrived from ARB the other day.. New generation ARB air lockers and onboard air system..looking forward to having control over when my doffs are locked or unlocked at the flick of a switch..:)

image.jpg

twopoint6khz

With all that weight on the back and a tuned Td5 under the bonnet, I would say you're going to have to watch your exhaust gas temperature pretty closely. Have you done anything about the inherent weakness in the exhaust manifold? The excessive web between the pipes is known to cause the whole thing to warp if EGTs are regularly high, as is usually the case on a tuned engine.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Yeah, thanks for that.. I soon will be putting the variable vane turbo on and better flowing exhaust with the upgraded ECM and bigger inter cooler, and at the same time I will be removing the exhaust manifold and have the bridges machined out and then the interior jet hot coated, installing an EGT gauge on the dash as well as a boost guage..was even thinking about installing an under hood eclectic blower that blasts fresh air on the manifold and turbo area, one of those high volume bilge pump blowers might do wonders..only to be used on long hills where the turbo is working extra hard..

twopoint6khz

Sounds like you've got it covered. It would be interesting to know what performance is like after all the mods. I image a VVT would make a big difference, most of what makes the Td5 feel 'slow' to drive is the turbo lag.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
After much research on Beadlocks and pricing I started looking into the Staun Beadlocks.. Now made by Coyote in the USA.. Coyote has improved the strength and performance of these from when they were stauns. This Beadlocks system is basically a high strength low profile tube that goes inside your tyre, the inflation of this inner device keeps both the inner and outer side bead hard up against your rim, allowing you to run low tyre pressures without popping a tyre off the rim, they install into just about any regular wheel and have the added protection of also acting like a run flat (although they don't advertise it as such but there are stories of them being like that from king of the hammers) will update pics of the installation shortly....

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Security is always on my mind so I decided to make the side doors secure in the event of having to leave the truck somewhere for extended times... The loop is through the framework of the door housing and is quite secure..this should pose a problem to someone trying to get in..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
On the last trip we found ourselves always needing a quick and easy access area to store readily available stuff like some snacks etc, we also found that our drink flasks didn't fit in conventional cup holders. One of the main designs of the interior of this truck is that we wanted to be able to have passengers in the rear seating area but also have a flat platform for our dog to be on with access left or right sides as well as someone to be able to lay down on either while driving or just taking a quick nap. I found that most of our drink flasks are the same outside diameter and fit nicely inside a piece of 3" pvc pipe.. This also allows us to be able to put a regular drink in there and not have to worry about the condensation ruining the cup holder..
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I took a coupling piece and cut off a small section of the ends and this gave me a flange to secure to the wood, capped the bottom and glued it all together.. I used marine 5200 to secure the holders to the wood. This allows our drink flasks to sit completely down and they are very secure and don't interfere with the opening of the tuffy box, easily accessed from the front seats.i even wrapped a bit of sound and heat insulation mat around them that I have laying around.
Behind the cup holder will be a hinged lid that lifts up to cover that storage area, this also houses the Webasto diesel cabin heater air outlet, so in cold climates we can remove the cup holders and the heat comes out through that area..when travelling it provides an extra area to quickly put things like cameras etc to help minimize the threat of smash and grab break ins..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior