Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

AndreasN

Observer
Can't do the Vermount as I am off on Friday to Colorado. Would you mind sending me pictures and price in an PM if you have a door?
thx

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Well it's been a heck of a trip and all things worked as they should have.. Had to make a change of plans and come back to take back my shop.. So the next leg into Europe has been put on a bit of a hold.. (Since its winter over there that's fine with me..lol..).. Gives me some time to make some improvements or additions..if I can find any space..lol.. Glad to be of a mental stimulus help to all who have read the thread.. If anyone has any questions I am now back in one locatin and will be on here more often now... Doing a couple of other fun projects with some land rovers now too..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So I picked up a complete 3.5 mazda tdi engine with a r-380 transmission behind it with a GKN overdrive behind that also... It's supposed to be scary fast and powerful...would love to install it but I fear I will be getting too far away from originality... Just may have to put it in that 130 expedition truck I've been thinking of doing...;))

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
So I picked up a complete 3.5 mazda tdi engine with a r-380 transmission behind it with a GKN overdrive behind that also... It's supposed to be scary fast and powerful...would love to install it but I fear I will be getting too far away from originality... Just may have to put it in that 130 expedition truck I've been thinking of doing...;))

Interesting (and very cool)... What engine is that (series etc.), and what's it from originally??? I'm not a deeply knowledgeable Rover guy by any means, but I've never heard of a Mazda TDi engine (other then their new "Sky-active Low-Comp." Diesels) and I've never heard of one mated to an R380 (custom adapter or???). I can certainly also see not wanting to swap it into a REAL CT truck (I mean that's a piece of rolling history), but surely a guy who runs "The Rover Shop" has a truck that could use a power-plant like that aye??? A 130 sounds like an awesome place to put it... I love to see that get built.

Cheers

Dave

tacr2man

Adventurer
The mazda 3,5 is based on a Perkins . They used them in 20seater buses, and 3.5 ton trucks. quite a reliable engine not an outstandingly powerful lump, but due its size puts out more than the rover small diesels .

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Yeah, it was a fairly popular modification kit done by a company called M&D engineering in England.. There's always a project or 2 laying around that I would love to put that in.. As mentioned I was kinda keeping it to put into a 130 but I recently purchased a 2006 defender 130 with the td5 engine in it and am gonna build that out to the same if not better level as my camel.. There was a couple of places I wanted to go and I just didn't want to cause too much damage to my camel, so I am gonna build a bigger and better vehicle that I am not worried about damaging, this way I can put full outer body protection and modify the body the way I want without worrying about destroying the originality.. And before people start asking.. No, the camel is NOT for sale, I think I will be buried in my camel when it comes time for me to leave this ****ty world..:)).. I think I will install the overdrive unit behind my td5 unit and with a little but of added performance I should be able to get pretty good fuel consumption numbers out of it..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
While we are still using this truck and it has been seen in the latest overland journal expo coverage we have decided that we needed to make some modifications to our setups that would not be feasible to this truck due to its historic value.. So we are now doing all of these mods and some new and improved ones to our latest rig..a 2006 defender 130 utility box truck.. I have started a thread on this new truck under the heading of .. Prepping a defender 130 for around the world...if you think this one was interesting, wait until you see the next one...:)
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/134224-Prepping-a-defender-130-for-around-the-world

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I hope everyone got themselves a copy of the overland journal calendar, our truck was used in the September picture... One of my favourite pictures..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Disassembled the rear interior of the truck for a complete clean out for customs inspections, had the back all out in a couple of hours and the same to reassemble..don't think I've ever seen the interior of this truck so clean... Next the underbody and then a good detailing..and she should be ready for upcoming inspections..

image.jpg

image.jpg

Drained and cleaned out water tanks also.....this design worked out really well for easy disassembly and cleaning out..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles