Premium & High End Ice Chests & Coolers Reviews

TripLeader

Explorer
My old Coleman cooler is reaching the end of it's lifespan. It must be around 8 years-old. I love it and we've been all over together, but it's old. The hinges and handles aren't what they used to be. It's stained all over. The latch (which I replace a couple of years ago) has broken off again.
-
I don't know if I can justify spending the money, but if you have one, can you tell me about your opinions of the high end coolers, such as those made by Yeti, Engel, and Pelican? Are they that much better than a budget-friendly Coleman 5 Day cooler?
-
How long could I expect ice to last in it in hot weather? Does the thick insulation take away too much space? How long will the cooler itself last?
-
Thanks for any feedback.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I have an Engel Bluewater 65 that I have owned for 4 years.

My answer to your question is a big "yes"....they are far superior to the average cooler you buy at Wally World or Target. My Engel will keep ice for several days (I use frozen saline bottles) in moderate temps encountered here in CO and UT. The handles are made of rope and can't break. The latches are SS and can be easily replaced if broken. The hinge for the lid is a sort of "piano hinge" that runs the entire length of the lid. It can be locked closed and is actually rated as an approved bear-proof container (in Canada).

The downside, other than initial cost, is that they are heavy. I believe my 65 qt model is around 22# empty. That said, I can't imagine owning another cooler. I've flirted with buying a 12V fridge but just can't justify the cost. You can spend $50-60 bucks on an average cooler every 2-3 years or you can bite the bullet and buy a Engel/Yeti that will last many years.

if you wanna be a cheap but. like me :) i took a igloo el cheapo i had and drilled some small holes in the bottom and filled the space between the liner and outside with expanding foam. i call it my ghetto yeti

tonkaman

Adventurer
I have an Engel Bluewater 65 that I have owned for 4 years.

My answer to your question is a big "yes"....they are far superior to the average cooler you buy at Wally World or Target. My Engel will keep ice for several days (I use frozen saline bottles) in moderate temps encountered here in CO and UT. The handles are made of rope and can't break. The latches are SS and can be easily replaced if broken. The hinge for the lid is a sort of "piano hinge" that runs the entire length of the lid. It can be locked closed and is actually rated as an approved bear-proof container (in Canada).

The downside, other than initial cost, is that they are heavy. I believe my 65 qt model is around 22# empty. That said, I can't imagine owning another cooler. I've flirted with buying a 12V fridge but just can't justify the cost. You can spend $50-60 bucks on an average cooler every 2-3 years or you can bite the bullet and buy a Engel/Yeti that will last many years.

What's the purpose behind using frozen saline?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
There have been scads of tests of coolers over the years, mostly by the fishing and rafting communities. Most of those tests include the typical entries from Yeti, Engle, NRS, and the other root-molded coolers in the segment. Once in a while they'll toss in a Coleman.

The Coleman coolers, actually do quite well in those tests....sometimes.

There are three critical areas of construction that make the Coleman cooler so much cheaper. For one, it's good old molded plastic, albeit nice plastic whereas the premium coolers are high-density rotary molded plastic. The same method used to mold Pelican cases, white water kayaks, etc. To bolster durability, most premium coolers use near indestructible hinge designs whereas the Coleman uses a hinge system you will invariably have to replace many times in its lifetime. The better coolers also employ rubber seals and more complex and thicker shapes to augment insulation abilities.

The foam used within most premium coolers is another area where they are far superior. Not just in the use of better foam, but that foam is placed within a thicker, more resilient structure and as such, protected from cracking, which is virtually impossible. The Coleman coolers not only have been reported to suffer cracks in the foam, some have been poorly filled at the factory, and as such have big gaps in the insulation.

So, the long answer is - yes, SOME Coleman coolers may live for years, hold ice for days, and maybe never bust a hinge. Many will come from the factory with crap insulation quality and never perform worth a darn. You'll never know until you put it to use. The reality is, the premium coolers from Yeti, Engle, etc, will not only outlive a Coleman by at least 4 to 1, it will almost always perform better. So, the value is probably still best in the premium coolers even if the purchase price hurts.

And for the sake of disclosure, I have personally tested the Coleman Extreme coolers agains my Yeti. The Yeti did retain ice by about 30-40% better.

jet noise

Observer
I have a yeti roadie for a beer cooler. Overkill for a beer cooler. But I got tired of replacing ice twice a day in the cheapo Playmate cooler I was using. The thing is built like a tank. You can use dry ice in it. While that's not a feature a lot of people might use, it speaks to the quality. I'm sure the cooler is going to outlast me.

troyboy162

Adventurer
One item to understand if you don't already is that premium coolers lasting a week are half or more filled with ice. I think that's where they shine because those are conditions where weight will begin breaking a cheaper cooler.
On a typical run I don't have to get more ice like my friends do during a trip. they are also filling there coolers with 2/3 or more food rather then carrying 75 lbs of block ice like I am lol.

XploreBaja

Observer
XploreBaja has 8 Yeti's after years of the "other" brands and we will never go back. Block and cube ice lasts 3 times as long and the Yeti's are built to survive. We travel overland and the coolers are mounted in the bed of trucks and they continue to be durable and have NOT failed.

We use the 35QT, 75QT and the 105QT .... we love them!

Tim

Grasslakeron

Explorer
Look for an early 70's vintage Thermos cooler. I have one and its ice for 3 days in 90 degree weather. Red metal sides with a drain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles