Pre-Emission Full-sized Trucks

Clutch

<---Pass
Pre-Emission fullsize truck? :D Don't need emissions on '64 or older vehicles here in Idaho... (not sure what it is in NY) :D

338316b69967cded36ccc396e889d9d7.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I think that also goes for a lot of other "must haves". SFA is probably the biggest one---some think it's an absolute necessity. Meanwhile, Land Rovers with IFS *and* IRS have proven to be quite capable off-road. And certainly enough for the Overland crowd. I'd lump diesels in there as well. Modern gas engines can hit high mileage without issues. Gas is more abundantly available, and in my truck, I'm getting 500-750 mile range (depending on terrain), which is more than enough for me. Unless you tow a heavy load ALL the time, I don't see a need.
_
I'd say just buy the best condition truck within the budget and have fun. I've said it before, but if I were to turn back the clock several months, I'd look into an F250 with the 6.2L for the same amount I paid for this F150. That extra payload would've surely come in handy.

Ya know...you could go trade it in...some guys on here like to change out vehicles their like they do their underwear... ;)

Some gonga deals on the '16 F250's right now. Not sure what Dalko43's cab configuration needs are...you can grab brand new gas F250 with a warranty RCLB in his price range, see a couple Super and Crew Cab's a smidgen over $30K. Diesels don't get all that much better mpg, if it at all in some cases. Gasser averages 12, diesel does 15. That difference in yearly fuel cost isn't all that much. Any savings in fuel goes out the window when the out of warranty diesel goes in for repairs.

Dalko, what exactly will you be hauling/towing?

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Ya know...you could go trade it in...some guys on here like to change out vehicles their like they do their underwear... ;)

Some gonga deals on the '16 F250's right now. Not sure what Dalko43's cab configuration needs are...you can grab brand new gas F250 with a warranty RCLB in his price range, see a couple Super and Crew Cab's a smidgen over $30K. Diesels don't get all that much better mpg, if it at all in some cases. Gasser averages 12, diesel does 15. That difference in yearly fuel cost isn't all that much. Any savings in fuel goes out the window when the out of warranty diesel goes in for repairs.

I rode in a 6.2 V8 2015 F-250 4wd,35" tires,cab high shell, with external contractor's rack. Carli suuspension,the whole deal.
It rode and handled great on the highway and offroad but...8mpg displayed on the instrument panel.

Clutch

<---Pass
I rode in a 6.2 V8 2015 F-250 4wd,35" tires,cab high shell, with external contractor's rack. Carli suuspension,the whole deal.
It rode and handled great on the highway and offroad but...8mpg displayed on the instrument panel.

Leave it mostly stock...some decent AT tires, maybe upgrade the shocks...and call it good. It will average 12....a stock 6.7 diesel averages 14. Sure conditions will vary, and drivers are different...but all and all...mpg's aren't all that much different...if one is concerned about saving money in the end I am not seeing it getting used diesel over a brand new gas. For $30K, think I would go with a brand new gasser over a used diesel. A lot less to worry about.

Clean macheen mon!

That's a 50k plus truck easy now a days. Its a sweet ride though.

Sure is! Too nice to really use it though.

Here ya go, while not emission exempt...but only $14K....fairly clean....with the OP's budget of $30K...gives ya $16K left over to feed and repair it. ;) Might be able to get a grand out of the silly wheels on CL. ;)

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/cto/5808064156.html

00K0K_7TddHZdghhy_1200x900.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Yeah put some factory steelies and poverty caps on that and it would look a lot better IMO. Definitely has the teenager look right now.

p nut

butter

Crap, didn't know they were that bad. I was figuring 12-17 or somewhere in that range. Ok, never mind. What I SHOULD have done was find a F150 with the max/HD payload package. Or a 3.5 Ecobbost in a F250. That'd be the ticket.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah put some factory steelies and poverty caps on that and it would look a lot better IMO. Definitely has the teenager look right now.

My '76 Highboy had that color scheme at one point, but was mostly stock except for a set of 16.5" Jackman Wheels. But yeah...a little too boy racer for me.

This is a little more my taste, listed for $6500...$30K budget gives a lot of room to go through it and just fix the mechanicals. No retro mod ....just fix stuff, and live with the 8-10 mpg.

00909_saETDS9Po9_600x450.jpg

Crap, didn't know they were that bad. I was figuring 12-17 or somewhere in that range. Ok, never mind. What I SHOULD have done was find a F150 with the max/HD payload package. Or a 3.5 Ecobbost in a F250. That'd be the ticket.

According to fuelly...12 is the average...diesel isn't that much better, 14-15 seems to be the average norm. Yeah man, that is what you should of done! :D Depending on the F150's cab configuration Max Payload package ranges from 2600-3000 lbs in the 4WD. That would be more than enough for a FWC type camper. "Should" be able to decent mileage too. Do believe we all over think all of this vehicle BS...(myself included! ;) )

Have you seen the spy shots of the F150 with 8 lug hubs?

http://www.trucktrend.com/future-trucks/1610-spied-2018-ford-f-150-super-duty/

2018-ford-f-150-super-duty-left-front-angle.jpg

Last edited:

frojoe

Adventurer
On a recent northern BC/Yukon/Alaska roadtrip my 24V 5.9L Cummins was logging 11.3-11.7 L/100km (20-21 mpg) going up and down hills (35" MT's, probably 1500lbs in back of cab and bed including canopy), maintaining 100-120km/hr and always >15psi boost... I can't begin to imagine what a gasser's mileage would have been, taking into account it would need to downshift and uprev instead the Cummins just boosting more. Another thing to consider about diesels, especially a stick shift one (although an automatic with lockout would do this in higher gears) is that anytime the engine is braking such as down a hill and in gear, zero diesel is being consumed. I can't speak for all gasser engines but I would imagine most are still injecting some fuel on engine braking deceleration. Sometimes my truck gets noticeably better mileage on medium-hilly drives alternating between 15psi and 0psi vs. long flat drives at a constant 5psi boost.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
On a recent northern BC/Yukon/Alaska roadtrip my 24V 5.9L Cummins was logging 11.3-11.7 L/100km (20-21 mpg) going up and down hills (35" MT's, probably 1500lbs in back of cab and bed including canopy), maintaining 100-120km/hr and always >15psi boost... I can't begin to imagine what a gasser's mileage would have been, taking into account it would need to downshift and uprev instead the Cummins just boosting more. Another thing to consider about diesels, especially a stick shift one (although an automatic with lockout would do this in higher gears) is that anytime the engine is braking such as down a hill and in gear, zero diesel is being consumed. I can't speak for all gasser engines but I would imagine most are still injecting some fuel on engine braking deceleration. Sometimes my truck gets noticeably better mileage on medium-hilly drives alternating between 15psi and 0psi vs. long flat drives at a constant 5psi boost.

It is the age old argument of gas vs. diesel money-wise, what is the final cost of ownership? Usually it is a wash in the end, the gasser is thirsty but cheap to fix, the diesel is not as thirsty and expensive to fix.

p nut

butter
According to fuelly...12 is the average...diesel isn't that much better, 14-15 seems to be the average norm. Yeah man, that is what you should of done! :D Depending on the F150's cab configuration Max Payload package ranges from 2600-3000 lbs in the 4WD. That would be more than enough for a FWC type camper. "Should" be able to decent mileage too. Do believe we all over think all of this vehicle BS...(myself included! ;) )

Have you seen the spy shots of the F150 with 8 lug hubs?

http://www.trucktrend.com/future-trucks/1610-spied-2018-ford-f-150-super-duty/

2018-ford-f-150-super-duty-left-front-angle.jpg

Ha ha. Yeah, but no regrets. Not yet anyway. The SD F150 looks interesting. Seems like exactly what I'd "need." :)

That hasn't been true since OBD II, I believe (1996).

Clutch

<---Pass
Ha ha. Yeah, but no regrets. Not yet anyway. The SD F150 looks interesting. Seems like exactly what I'd "need." :)

What was old is now new again...kinda had high hopes for the Nissan XD...was expecting it to get stellar MPG, but it doesn't...looks like it is about the same as the 3/4-1 tons.

You have a good truck...waaay more than what most of us will ever need. My last excursion heading up into the back country was thinking I was all bad-********, then I saw a Fiat 500 coming from the other way.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
What was old is now new again...kinda had high hopes for the Nissan XD...was expecting it to get stellar MPG, but it doesn't...looks like it is about the same as the 3/4-1 tons.

You have a good truck...waaay more than what most of will ever need. My last excursion heading up into the back country was thinking I was all bad-********, then I saw a Fiat 500 coming from the other way.

Ha! Those 500's are no joke. !! Yeah, we've really enjoyed the truck. Same could probably be said if I had gone with a Dodge or Chevy. Gas or diesel. Any modern truck is pretty comfy and capable compared to trucks of old. Dalko will be just fine whichever way he goes, I believe.

Clutch

<---Pass
Ha! Those 500's are no joke. !!

No kidding!

Yeah, we've really enjoyed the truck. Same could probably be said if I had gone with a Dodge or Chevy. Gas or diesel. Any modern truck is pretty comfy and capable compared to trucks of old. Dalko will be just fine whichever way he goes, I believe.

Can't really go wrong anymore....it is just nick picking anymore, really. Trucks have gotten better and better...and we have just gotten soft. ;) Man, all that torque of diesel sure would be nice...not sure what I would use it for...but it would nice! Ok...back to looking at underpowered cheap old man trucks...that are barely adequate...

...though, I keep on looking at this setup.

GreenMonster_Camper_1_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94