Pre '92 Ford 4x4 conversion kit

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I feel like the OP is more interested in a solid axle. Not a TTB.

How different is the Chassis from F series from the same years? Possible to get an F series kit and adapt it to a van?

gscott

I don't know my van eras perfectly, but is this the type of conversion you're looking for?

This was pulled from the agile off-road site a while back.

Yes, that is 3rd Gen. I don't know that Agile sells a kit, but maybe they will still work on them?

gscott

Do you know Agile sells a kit? I don't think they do. I'm not opposed to the TTB necessarily, but seems like a lot of people poo poo them..

another_mike

Adventurer
I said kit. DIY kit. Basic front end conversion bracket set and whatever. Cheap to make, cheap to ship.

There are lots of older Class B vans for sale. Not everyone can afford $60k-$100k 'expedition' vans, but anyone can buy a $5k-$8k fully self contained Class B RV and either DIY or spend the $12K on a conversion.

Yes no one sells a DIY kit or is willing to do them, unless I put in an order for 11 of them?

And no one will touch a Chev or Dodge van either.

MG said nothing about 60-100k vans....

gscott

I take it back. Boulder Offroad will work on Chevy vans.

Besides that the only vans that can be readily converted (besides one-offs or home-brewed) are Gen 4 Ford vans and new Sprinters.

gscott

In the last 4 years I've had one question about 3rd gen 4x4 systems. I'd make a kit if I saw the market for it. Haven't seen the demand yet. Bring me a van and 10 others ready to put down deposits and we'll make a go of it.

Two people today asking about 4x4 conversions on Gen III vans on the 4x4 & 2WD Off-Road vans Facebook page. I see discussions on Pirate 4x4 forum and Ford-Trucks forums, and those sorts of places, all the time. Seems like an under-served market, but their owners don't have the big bucks like the new Transit owners or expeditionportal folks, so I can't blame you for going where the money is. Looks to me like you are plenty busy!

BobbyJones

Observer
Although I agree with you about legacy kits from companies who used to make them, etc there's usually a good reason why they don't.

Let's not forget that the whole after market conversion thing started with a need or an idea that wasn't being met by the OEM and someone stepped up and did it.

It may be your time!

gscott

Although I agree with you about legacy kits from companies who used to make them, etc there's usually a good reason why they don't.

Let's not forget that the whole after market conversion thing started with a need or an idea that wasn't being met by the OEM and someone stepped up and did it.

It may be your time!

Haha. I'm at the end of my building days, after 45 years of car hobby. I think there is a market, but it's up to others to decide if there is or not.

If MG is still following this thread I don't know. But I am spreading the word and encouraging people to contact you about 3rd gen van conversions. If you have enough interest is for you to decide.

As for me, I will spend more money for a 4th gen van so I can get support for a conversion.

SirMrManGuy

Observer
http://www.glinx.com/~sbest/4vanhow.htm

Have a read through that, though the info on steering seems a bit dated, nowadays it's easier to do crossover steering as you can buy weld in threaded inserts for tie rods for cheap... No need to go to a machinist... Just call the two shops I listed above.

Buy an axle, some springs, take the old front end off, roll axle under the van, make some spring hangers for the front out of some box tube and plate, bolt up some rear shackle hangers to the frame(it looks like there is a Ford truck part that just needs some holes drilled), notch and plate the engine cross member, then figure out brake lines and steering. After that... New transmission, tcase and driveshafts.

Honestly I SASed two trucks years ago before so much info was available on the internet, it's not that bad, just get out there with a tape measure and start figuring it out.I'm still not sure why you need a kit for this after reading that old webpage, but I'm also now pretty sure that Sky's kit will work (might need a tweak or two to get the shackle hangers to work)

Last edited:

gscott

Resurrecting my old post, just because. I bought a Gen 3 E250 Class B van last year. 80k miles, fully self contained in good shape for $3500. Decided the easiest / best way forward for me was using Quadravan parts. I'm picking up a complete non runner this weekend for $1000. It's the closest thing I could get for a conversion 'kit' since there is little support for Gen 3 Econolines. I will use the custom length HD low pinion D44 with custom radius arms and bolt-in brackets. And the D60 rear. I'll ditch the dual track bars for a panhard rod and go from there. Maybe I'll do a small build thread here eventually, but spencyg pretty much has it covered with his Boomer the Quadravan thread.

I've been building an information resource for these Ford Quadravan conversions, and DIY conversions in general on a Facebook page. (as much as I hate Facebook) For one thing, I'm trying to build a file library of information and document the parts that Pathfinder originally used for these conversions, so we can find replacements. If you are interested it's called Gen 3 Ford Econoline 4x4 Conversions and Quadravans. And if I got the link right:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles