Practical barbecue grill solutions?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have no intention of violating fire bans, I was asking how common they are.

Thank you!
In the Southwest, fire bans are pretty much a yearly occurrence. I only use propane. Easy and clean.
From what I see with campsites with charcoal ashes and coals on the ground plenty of people don't care about the ban. Another thing I don't like about charcoal is most people leave the trash behind.

Porkchopexpress

I saw that but thought it was more of a debate than just different solutions people use camping. Like most camping gear, "best" is subjective to how much weight you are willing to carry.

I have a well worn 'portable' kettle-style charcoal grill.
BUT the key for me is the accumulated cast iron plates, grates, griddles and pans I have picked up along the way.

When done cooking and things have cooled off.. I toss the parts back in the grill. (Self-contained camp kitchen piñata)

I also considered just carrying a Dutch oven and cooking on a camp fire but I don't see much advantage over just using the stove top that comes with the camper.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I also considered just carrying a Dutch oven and cooking on a camp fire but I don't see much advantage over just using the stove top that comes with the camper.
If by 'stove top that comes with the camper' you mean the one inside, we never use ours. We prefer to keep cooking smells outside of our camper.

if you aren't, then yeah.... just use that. Probably easier to regulate the heat anyway.

Porkchopexpress

If by 'stove top that comes with the camper' you mean the one inside, we never use ours. We prefer to keep cooking smells outside of our camper.

if you aren't, then yeah.... just use that. Probably easier to regulate the heat anyway.
Yes. I also have a Blackstone table top griddle that is nice because it keeps the oil off the gas lines so it is easy to clean. I'm all set from a practical standpoint but I prefer cooking with charcoal.

I placed an order on a Nomad Grill and I should receive it in August. I think it's the best solution for my situation. I'll post here how it i like it after I get a chance to use it.

dbhost

Weber Smokey Joe silver in a Weber tote and short chimney. I use up the space in, around it in the bag with bags of fresh coals.

Easy to use, very efficient on the fuel, very easy to regulate temeprature / airflow, and using proper methods, you can actually barbecue on it, not just grill. And yes there IS a difference...

I am not sure what advantage there would be in a propane grill. Might as well just use a double sided cast iron griddle on your stovetop if all you are going for is grill marks...

Last edited:

perterra

Adventurer
Does anyone take a charcoal grill with them on the road? I enjoy grilling and am considering the following options:
-Webber go-anywhere, would fit in side the vehicle, (generator compartment) fairly easily but its pretty small.
-PKTX, looks like it could be attached to an exterior ladder or rack and is bigger/nicer. It would also be easy to steal.
-Some campsites have built in fire pits or open grills so I would just need to bring the charcoal and utensils.

Does anyone have a better solution or have experience with the options I listed?
Do many places you camp have rules against charcoal grilling?
Also, I'm not interested in gas grills as I would rather just use the stove top.

Thanks!

I have no intention of violating fire bans, I was asking how common they are.

Thank you!

They are very common in the south and west.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Im using a cheap cast Iron double sided plate and It came pre seasoned so I did it again and it is perfect, I also bought a cast Iron press to press the steak or bacon flat while cooking and it really speeds up cooking time and helps get the meat brown all over, (y)

SarahSimm

Last week I was camping with a couple of friends who all brought their own propane/butane/charcoal sources with them. Since I was cooking for myself I tried out a chimney starter (Weber type) and used a small grate to cook hamburgers, brats, etc. Worked very well if you're cooking for one or two people. Easy to clean up as you just dump the ashes in the fire pit to let them burn out. I also own propane and butane stoves but wanted to try this method out.
this sounds so nice! I'm so so craving about going camping but I can not because of damn covid...
gosh I'm so stressed out

dbhost

this sounds so nice! I'm so so craving about going camping but I can not because of damn covid...
gosh I'm so stressed out

Why can't you go camping because of COVID? Fresh air, space, and vitamin D from sunlight are all VERY good things for fighting covid. Do you live somewhere that is locking you down?

dfinn

Adventurer
I've got something like this. I use it a few times a summer (when fire bans allow of course) when I get the itch to cook something over charcoal, sometimes I'll even throw in some chunks of wood too if I'm feeling fancy. Packs down super small as well.

displacedtexan

I have the older version of this one. It's a great little grill.

geojag

I recently picked up a PKGO. It is a bit bulky, and a little heavy, but I will take it on some trips. The lid has two cam latches for positive closure, and the lid can easily be removed to use the base as a fire pit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles