PowerTank 5lb propane tank bracket review

Nueces

I'll ask this here. Does anyone know of a cover that'll just cover the valve assembly on a little propane cylinder? Something like a little vinyl pouch with a cinch string at the bottom? Or something like a shower cap that covers the top part of the tank (the handle part)? I've been googling and coming up with nothing.

I just want to keep dust and dirt and mud from getting on the valve assembly while going down the road.

View attachment 500193
Try a search for "faucet sock", which are winter protection for outside water faucets.

gunsandgearnetwork

I'll ask this here. Does anyone know of a cover that'll just cover the valve assembly on a little propane cylinder? Something like a little vinyl pouch with a cinch string at the bottom? Or something like a shower cap that covers the top part of the tank (the handle part)? I've been googling and coming up with nothing.

I just want to keep dust and dirt and mud from getting on the valve assembly while going down the road.

View attachment 500193

A few options are available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROPANE-TA...=item2a3941b903:g:ZHYAAOxydgZTIKh7:rk:27:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Pack-Pro...h=item2150ef1632:g:KgYAAOSw2TVcPfjE:rk:6:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-BBQ-PROP...h=item3d812ab64c:g:8KAAAOSwZqlcSNqw:rk:8:pf:0

rnArmy

Adventurer
Faucet Sock. Looks like we have a winner! You guys are quick. I didn't know there was such a thing as a faucet sock. And it follows using something not as originally designed.

I'll hit the local hardware stores the next few days (Home Depot, Lowe's, ACE) and see who has the best option. First picture is from the ACE website; the second picture is from Lowe's website. Don't know if they are the same item or not. But I think this will work to protect the top of my lil propane tank when driving down the road. The blue color even matches the rest of my trailer (RTT cover, High-lift cover, cooler).

1550464459614.png
1550464517388.png
1550464837654.png

Last edited:

NudeLobster

For sealing and protecting the outlet valve of the propane tanks, consider this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BB1Q5MT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is O-ring sealed and works like a charm. Considering everyone in here is complaining about the DOT approved tank bracket, I assume most won't be interested, but I have been very pleased with it. Literally the only thread on cap I could find anywhere on the internet for propane tank threads.

On the topic (ish), I bought that protector cap after I was having flow issues out of my propane tank after it ate dust on my swing out for 8 days in Utah. I ran into a problem with my 5lb tank not being able to feed both burners of my camp chef stove at decent/full flow. It could run a single burner enough to boil water, but running both burners it would fall on its face. Thought maybe my 5lb was empty but I filled it at a fuel stop and the guy said it only took about 2lbs of propane and that it was plenty full. Later at home I tore down the stove, cleaned everything, and tested with a 1lb disposable bottle and both burners ran hotter than hell. switched back to my 5lb on the adapter hose and it was clearly not flowing as much. I bought a new adapter hose thinking it may be clogged with dust and dirt. Got home, cranked up the burners for a second on the 5lb and both were running full blast. Nice, hot, and loud. Thought I fixed my problem but with more use I've realized that my 5lb flows enough to run both burners full hot for the first second or so, then the burners noticeably reduce in flame size/heat. this leads me to believe it's some kind of supply issue with the tank... locking up in phase change from liquid to vapor, feeding vapor instead of liquid or vice versa, etc. I ruled out a blockage from the aforementioned dust because it flows enough for the first second or so.

It's a flame King tank- pre-purged from factory.

has anyone else had issues running a refillable tank to feed 2x 20k BTU burners at full tilt? Not sure if there's a pick up tube in the 5lb tank to pull liquid, or if its pulling vapors off the top which may be an issue. I assume the camp stoves are designed for liquid considering they feed from 1lb bottles that are inverted and I assume the 1lb bottles don't have pick up tubes, thus when inverted feeding liquid to the stove hardline.

Trying to exhaust my options before throwing money at a new tank with my fingers crossed... Any help is appreciated!

IMG_20181012_1652068.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've used the one-pound cylinders at a 30-degree angle, and fully upright when cooking with no issues. I haven't filled my 5lb tank yet to try it out, but now you're making me want to do it sooner vs. later.

I also have a plastic cap that came with the tank to cover the threads on the outlet valve. Last time we ran the Dempster, the trailer got filthy (picture is from when we just started out - it got a lot worse). And now that I'll be having a propane tank on the outside of my trailer, I want something to keep grit and such off the valve twisty knob too (drawing a blank on what it is called). I think that faucet sock will do the trick.

Dempster trip.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
Yup; Faucet Sock is the way to go. Eight dollars out-the-door at Lowe's (with military discount). Just about the perfect size. The only thing I would change would be to put one of those little string cinch thingies on the strings (last picture), which I can probably pick up at a fabric store locally.

Attachments

• Propane tank.3.jpg
    Propane tank.3.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Propane tank.4.jpg
    Propane tank.4.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Propane tank.5.jpg
    Propane tank.5.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 34
  • propane tank.6.jpg
    propane tank.6.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 35
  • Propane tank.1.jpg
    Propane tank.1.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Propane tank.2.jpg
    Propane tank.2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

Pappy

View attachment 500193
Here ya go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-BBQ-PROP...m=264209879114&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles