PowerTank 5lb propane tank bracket review

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've looked at this, but I think the strap is too tall to wrap around the tank. $39.99

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bu...dVRtlQmyR8LzIRe2pZxd5L_u45zL9xDwaAm5xEALw_wcB

View attachment 492887
So I went ahead and ordered this thing. The price is low on the website, but shipping seems excessive. With shipping and tax it came to exactly $67. However, I scoured the internet for a better deal without much success (item and shipping charge). Some places (Amazon?) it was like "$99 with free shipping". I was spending too much time on this, so I just went ahead and ordered it. I will have to go through a lot off 1lb green propane cylinders before I break even on this. But I already bought the 5lb tank. And a 10' hose for my Mr. Buddy heater to run it off of more than a 1lb green cylinder. The price you pay for trying to be exposexual I guess.

So I will first make sure it'll fit my 8" diameter propane tank. Then I'll carefully grind off the strap brackets and mount them lower. And see about removing some of the backside braces (with the two rubber snubbers) and mount them lower. We'll see if I can't make it work and look good in the process.

I have a couple of these exact same style brackets but they're slightly narrower for use with a 10lb CO2 cylinder (I checked; they're too small for my 8" diameter propane tank even when maxing out the threaded rod section), and I've been pleased with them. I like the fact you can adjust the tension on the restraining strap.

1547413012963.png

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure this Buckeye bracket (previous post) is the same thing as the Amerex 811 bracket (big picture below). There were too many hoops to jump through on this Triangle website (make an account, etc.) for me to screw with. Plus when they say "usually ships within 2 weeks" it didn't instill confidence (I'm leaving for a trip in 10 days, so I'd like to get it sooner - not implying Triangle is not reputable). But on the one I ordered (previous post), it actually has "811" stamped on the latch (little picture below), so I figure it is the same thing (in case you're wanting to search for the same item like I was doing). Feel free to see what Triangle's shipping and final cost would be:

https://www.trianglefireinc.com/Amerex-811-8-in-Cylinder-Vehicle-Bracket-p/811.htm

1547413933397.png
1547413587249.png

Last edited:

WOODY2

Adventurer
Yeah, that doesn't look very secure as it comes. I think I would spray the inside of that bracket with bed liner and maybe put a thin piece of HDPE on the bottom; I'd also add a strip of thin rubber to the inside of that metal strap.

I've seen at least one bracket that had notches in the base for the bottom ring on the tank to sit in.

Those notches really help keep the bottom of the tank from skating out away from the bracket

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'll put a cut-to-fit piece of this Harbor Freight anti-fatigue mat on the bottom of the bracket where the tank will sit upon. That should keep it from moving around. Plus it'll be pretty snugged-up against the bracket itself. I've done the same thing with these brackets and CO2 tanks to help cushion them.

Attachments

• HF mat.jpg
    HF mat.jpg
    886.9 KB · Views: 30

gunsandgearnetwork

I'll put a cut-to-fit piece of this Harbor Freight anti-fatigue mat on the bottom of the bracket where the tank will sit upon. That should keep it from moving around. Plus it'll be pretty snugged-up against the bracket itself. I've done the same thing with these brackets and CO2 tanks to help cushion them.

Good idea!! I still think it is ridiculous for what you pay for the mount that anything has to be done to it.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Good idea!! I still think it is ridiculous for what you pay for the mount that anything has to be done to it.

Yeah... and this bracket is designed for a tall fire extinguisher, not a short little propane cylinder. So I'm modifying it from its intended use. Good thing I don't charge for my own labor!

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
I cut a piece of the anti-fatigue mat from Harbor Freight for the bottom of my Nato can brackets and other things as it is relatively inexpensive and easy to find. Might also work for propane tank if the bottom isn't going cut through it.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I cut a piece of the anti-fatigue mat from Harbor Freight for the bottom of my Nato can brackets and other things as it is relatively inexpensive and easy to find. Might also work for propane tank if the bottom isn't going cut through it.

I guess we'll find out. I could always split some fuel line and put it around the bottom ring of the propane tank. Heck; now that I think about it, I might just go ahead and do that anyways to keep it looking good.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
So my bracket arrived today (see post #16 above). I am pleased with it. Pictures in order:

1. It is larger than the bracket I have for my CO2 tank. A good bit larger.
2. The 8" diameter propane tank fits just fine. Actually, it is a little loose in the pictures; there's plenty of room to snug it up some to make it actually quite tight up against the bracket's rubber snubbers (so no wiggling when going down a rough road). You can see the little rubber snubbers in the first picture.
3. I definitely will have to drop the latch down about 6" so it'll fit around the tank. Once I put the piece of anti-fatigue mat on the base and place the tank back on the bracket, I'll determine exactly where I want the latch.
4. I like the little hitch-pin capability. It won't fit a lock, but it will keep it from coming unlatched accidently.
5. I will cut at the arrow all the way around, and then carefully grind the welds off the latches, and then bolt them lower on the bracket itself. I will probably also cut loose one or both of the inside braces (with the rubber snubbers) from the upper half piece I cut off and mount them lower too so I'll have at least three contact points on the tank (two in the back, and the strap in front). I don't even see any spot-welds holding those back braces on, so I'm thinking they'll pop off fairly easily. (edit: Oops, there are little spot welds you can see if you look close enough - they're slightly hidden by the powder coating).
6. Yeah; definitely need to bring the strap down some.

So maybe over the next week-or-so I can get this little project knocked out. The mounting bracket with shipping was $67 (you might be able to get it a little cheaper locally depending on where you live). A little bit of cutting and grinding, add a few 1/4" nuts/bolts/washers, a touch of black paint and it should look sharp. And I'm thinking it'll work better than the aluminum Power Tank bracket as far as keeping the tank snug up against the bracket.

Attachments

• Propane.1.jpg
    Propane.1.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Propane.10.jpg
    Propane.10.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Propane.12.jpg
    Propane.12.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Propane.3.jpg
    Propane.3.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Propane.2.jpg
    Propane.2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • Propane.7.jpg
    Propane.7.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
It has begun - the alternative to the $99 5lb propane tank PowerTank bracket (aka: the $67 #811 modified tank bracket).

I cut it all the way around just below the strap brackets. The inside bumper braces (with the little round rubber snubbers) are just held in with a small spot-weld, so I just drilled them out. The strap brackets I had to cut off since they were more solidly welded in place, and those will be bolted back in place. I also trimmed the inside bumper braces 5/8" so the tank would sit more into the bracket (and so the tank bottom will fully sit on the bracket's base without hanging over). Really the only tools I've used on this thing is a 4" grinder with a cut-off wheel, and a hand drill with a few different sized drill bits. And a pair of scissors to cut-to-fit the piece of HF anti-fatigue mat (and some super glue to keep it in place). Touch-up black paint is currently drying; then I'll put it together and mount it on my trailer and take a few pictures.

Sorry Gunsandgearnetwork - I didn't mean to take over your thread. I was glad when I found this thread because I had just bought a little 5lb propane tank too, and was considering that same PowerTank bracket myself, but it just wasn't exciting me (but I wasn't seeing any other alternatives out there). So after watching your video and seeing how loose the tank was, I decided I was going to try something different. Hopefully this'll help someone in the same situation.

Attachments

• Propane.13.jpg
    Propane.13.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
The paint dried, so I got it mounted up. I'm happy with it. You can adjust the tension with the latching strap (via the threaded rod), and with the two inside bumper braces at the top and bottom of the tank (and the latching strap essentially in the center of the tank), this thing is not going to bounce around. I honestly think you could cut the bottom off the mounting bracket and it would still hold the propane tank securely. The bracket is bolted to the trailer with six bolts, and on the inside of the trailer there are support beams which the bolts attach to. I am pleased with how it turned out. Sorry for the messy garage shots - I was working on it between other projects and getting the Jeep ready for a trip.

This bracket is designed for a 20-30lb fire extinguisher, so it should be plenty strong for a 5lb propane cylinder. If you can cut metal and drill holes, you can replicate this mount. Let me know if I can help you if you want to replicate this mount.

Attachments

• Propane.14.jpg
    Propane.14.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 91
  • Propane.15.jpg
    Propane.15.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
  • Propane.16.jpg
    Propane.16.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 90
  • Propane.17.jpg
    Propane.17.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 88
  • propane.19.jpg
    propane.19.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
  • Propane.20.jpg
    Propane.20.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • Propane.21.jpg
    Propane.21.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
Nice job Paul.

Thanks! It is an easy project to do, and it certainly holds the propane tank snug. And it is a good bit cheaper than the Power Tank bracket.

And thanks to gunsandgearnetwork for pointing out the flaws in his video on the Power Tank bracket (because I was considering purchasing one before I watched it).

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'll ask this here. Does anyone know of a cover that'll just cover the valve assembly on a little propane cylinder? Something like a little vinyl pouch with a cinch string at the bottom? Or something like a shower cap that covers the top part of the tank (the handle part)? I've been googling and coming up with nothing.

I just want to keep dust and dirt and mud from getting on the valve assembly while going down the road.

1550444315361.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles