Power Wagons

jgallo1

Adventurer
For the Power Wagons owners, Is there a huge advantage to 6.4. I found a 2012 Larmie power wagon with 50k, for a great price. I was just wondering if it is worth the extra money for the 6.4.
Thanks

Halligan

Adventurer
I had a 2010 Laramie crew cab 2500 with a 5.7 and 4.10 gears that I drove for 5 years. That truck ran a basic Carli setup. Since then I've owned my 2015 6.4 Power Wagon. Honestly I can say that both trucks were fine in the power department for my daily driving. I don't tow anything heavy so I can't say how the 6.4 would be better but I'm sure it has an advantage when tugging heavy loads. I liked how my 5.7 seemed smoother. With the 6.4 it drops into MDS mode and vibrates, which I don't like, so I lock it out. Also my current 6 speed auto seems like it has programming to get maximum MPG so I don't like the shift points. My 5.7/5 speed drove more like it was prgrammed to be a truck not get better MPG. That said, the 6.4 gets 1-2 mpg better than my 5.7.

I like the upgraded interior of the post 2014 trucks but I didn't dislike my 2010 interior either. I think overall I prefer the rear leaf spring setup of the pre 2014 truck vs the coils I have now.

IMHO, if you have a good deal on a 2012 and don't plan to tow heavy I would go for it.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The 5.7L is fine, it's definitely going to get worse gas mileage. Personally I prefer the rear coils and links over the leaf-springs simply from a ride and off-road performance standpoint. The 4.56's are a nice touch in the 5.7L trucks but they kinda need it with the 5spd. I wouldn't tell anyone not to get the older PW, but I would be more inclined to support the purchase of a newer 6.4L truck because overall I think they are better. Good luck in your search.

Explorerinil

Observer
Nothing wrong with rear coil spring trucks, I had a 14 2500, it rode great (espically with thuren overland). The rear coils did awesome, towed great and handled great. I towed 10 to 15k several times with the truck, it did fine.

I have a 6.4 in my wife’s srt jeep, it hasn’t had any problems.
My friend had 220k on his 5.7 ram when he sold it, no real problems with it.

The 6.4 Apache and 6.4 Big Gas are different engines.

From a power standpoint, the 6.4 isn't better than the 5.7. However, the 6.4 Big Gas is a ground up HD engine, not just an engine adapted from other platforms. The MDS is the major weakness of the engine but baring MDS defects the engine is pretty incredible (forged bottom end, iron block, massive flowing heads, sodium filled valves, etc). I think at some point I'm going to pull my 6.4 and build it for FI, it really only needs pistons, cam, and headstuds to reliably make 800hp on boost.

That article is embarrassingly incorrect.

Straight from Mopar's mouth:

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/V8/truck-hemi.html

Big Gas performance:

https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/p-85-64l-392-hemi-big-gas-cnc-ported-heads-by-modern-muscle.aspx

https://www.a2speed.com/p-2674-hemi-big-gas-heads.aspx

Deep dive into the Big Gas heads:
http://modernmoparforum.com/topic/18045-in-depth-64l-hemi-big-gas-head-write-up/

All of the Big Gas parts are unique to the Ram 6.4 with the exception of some of the small parts like lifters, valve springs, accessory drives etc. The Big Gas cast iron block is BGE cast, the same as the Hellcat. Identification reference in this article:
https://books.google.com/books?id=B...#v=onepage&q=6.4 apache block casting&f=false

Last edited:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
that was all really interesting information, I'm having fun reading through this. I didn't even know this information existed

The HC runs about 13psi but will reliably handle 20psi. The Big Gas should handel about the same with forged pistons, HC lifters/cam, and studs. Imagine the torque of a Cummins with a 5500 RPM redline and 500 less pounds over the front axle.

Dalko43

Explorer
The HC runs about 13psi but will reliably handle 20psi. The Big Gas should handel about the same with forged pistons, HC lifters/cam, and studs. Imagine the torque of a Cummins with a 5500 RPM redline and 500 less pounds over the front axle.

Yeah, and imagine the fuel bills with that kind of horsepower. In all seriousness, the v8 gasoline engines all 3 are putting out are very capable and durable workhorses, but they're not long for this world if the EPA continues to demand better fuel efficiency standards.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Yeah, and imagine the fuel bills with that kind of horsepower. In all seriousness, the v8 gasoline engines all 3 are putting out are very capable and durable workhorses, but they're not long for this world if the EPA continues to demand better fuel efficiency standards.
Diesel isn't the answer either.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
#Hydrogen
I'm really surprised we don't see more development in hydrogen.

Never knew much about them until I saw James May road test a Honda Clarity and discuss it with Jay Leno. It was a very interesting video. Tried to find it so I could provide the link but it appears Top Gear blocked all the links....

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
from my understanding, internal combustion engines that run on hydrogen are basically super turbo two stroke diesels, and you still have the issue of thermal efficiency loss through friction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94