Power Wagon vs F250 Tremor

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I really want a PW I’m thinking. Anyone ever regret getting Ram box or wish they had gotten it? It’s definitely going to be the new Olive green, but with bronze wheels. I won’t go bigger than 35s ever and probably leave stock for some time with the exception of a tune, if I can find one, and some air ride bags with daystar cradles.

Do we know when the true next gen HD Ram is coming? Current is only a partial refresh.
That's how I'd build it too. Often had the Ram box debate in my head. Love the idea but, I think I'd rather the bedspace with a box cover.

I think I've read 2022? But also read it could be longer because Ram is still selling the 'classic' 1500 which shares the same cab.

SteelSaguaro

I wouldn’t run a “small level kit”, as that probably means a coil spacer which will compress the springs and lead to an even harder ride with reduced articulation.

A leveling kit spacer doesn't compress the spring any more that the stock set up, nor does it change ride quality.

Antwon412

There are different types of spacers. I used what’s called a top hat spacer. A 2 inch billet aluminum piece that sits atop the entire coil over. There are some types where you have to disassemble and you put the spacer inside. That is the kind that can lead to reduced ride to quality because it is indeed compressing the spring.

SteelSaguaro

There are different types of spacers. I used what’s called a top hat spacer. A 2 inch billet aluminum piece that sits atop the entire coil over. There are some types where you have to disassemble and you put the spacer inside. That is the kind that can lead to reduced ride to quality because it is indeed compressing the spring.

Fair enough, although I have never seen that type for a heavy duty truck. Essentially defeats the purpose of a spacer kit's being a cost effective alternative i suppose.
I went the Carli route; springs, trac bar and extended brake lines. Worth every penny!

Antwon412

Fair enough, although I have never seen that type for a heavy duty truck. Essentially defeats the purpose of a spacer kit's being a cost effective alternative i suppose.
I went the Carli route; springs, trac bar and extended brake lines. Worth every penny!

Good point, I wasn’t thinking about the difference between an HD truck and a 1/2 ton.

Carli is coming out with a set up for the ram 1500. Very interesting to me. Depending on price I may go that route. However I can probably get a set of Bilstein 6112 and 5160 for around a grand.

But the Carli stuff sureeeeee is nice.

And to keep things on topic, I sure do lust over a Power Wagon. Sometimes I wish I had gotten that over my new Rebel, but I really do love fifth generation interior. Once the Power Wagon is fully upgraded from the 4.5 gen to the fifth gen I’ll be taking a good look at it

ChinaLakePW

I have a 2018 PW with RAM boxes. Originally, I had my air compressor and most of my recovery gear in the driver's side and I kept the passenger side pretty empty for groceries, etc. Somehow, I wound up with my tire chains, trekking poles, a PPE kit (ear plugs, eye pro, etc) in the passenger side and everything is pretty full. I have stuff in and out of them every day.

I have also had some issues. I just had the top of my driver's side box replaced under warranty because it warped. It wasn't too bad, but it was noticeable. The dealer says they have improved the castings.

I haven't missed the bed capacity, even when I haul firewood. I have airbags and cradles in the garage, I just need to install them.

I was parked next to a Tremor a couple of days ago. It looks a little wider and is definitely longer. Size-wise, there are trails I struggle to fit the PW. I can't imagine going even bigger.

Halligan

Adventurer
I really enjoy my 2015 PW and even more so since I added some Thuren suspension goodies out front. It seriously rides better than my wife's 2020 Grand Cherokee when traveling the crappy roads of the Northeast. I load my truck up with an RTT on Yakima racks and all my camping gear, then I put my motorcycle on a hitch rack and head out for the weekend. I'm fairly certain I'm pushing the PW's GVW rating with this setup but I haven't weighed it. The only upgrade to my rear suspension is Fox/Thuren 2.0 shocks and it handles the load just fine on the highway.

I would think you'd be okay towing that 6000 pound Airstream as long as the tongue weight is reasonable and your using a WDH. A set of air bags and Daystar cradles will really help if you get a lot of squat. If you think you'll be jumping into a bigger camper down the road you may want to reconsider a PW.

Keep us posted.

montypower

Adventure Time!
My recommendation would be to buy neither! Both are over priced and only partially better "off road" than any stock type truck.

We looked at the 2019-2020 Power Wagon. Here's what we didn't like:
6.4L Hemi Motor. It has plenty of power no issues there. It's the other stuff that sucks.
1. Recommends Premium Fuel. Motor can run regular but tunes down performance. My experience with past vehicles is to run the recommended octane. I don't want to run premium. These rigs suck gas and buying more expensive fuel... no thanks.
2. Special oil required. Chrysler spec 0w40 Synthetic. I'm sure there are many people who will run whatever they want but I always run recommended fluids. Specialty oil stucks. After owning a Mercedes Sprinter... I just wanted an easy to maintain rig.
3. Cylinder Deactivation. HECK NO!!! Ok, some people like this junk but it's not for me. This is partly why the special oil is required. This is a rather complicated system that will leave you going no where when it fails. Yes, it could slightly raise your mpg if driving modestly while unloaded but this small gain isn't worth the potential issues.
4. Cam Failures. Nobody really knows if this has been fully resolved or not. I don't want to find out.

Front AAM Axle.
1. Full time rotating axle assembly. Manual hub swap is thousands of dollars.
2. Many issues discussed online regarding ball joint failure and steering.

Rear Suspension: Coil Springs.
1. Minimal "flex" improvement due to the axle link design.
2. Can't carry heavy loads well. Even with air bags just not as good as old fashion leaf springs.
3. Complicated. More joints to wear and maintain/replace.

I believe the 2018 or 2019 got the well proven ZF transmission and boxed steel frame. And the body/interior fit/finish has drastically improved. Love the manual shift transfer case. So we definitely debated the Power Wagon. But just not willing to deal with the above items.

Another tip... you can buy the base RAM truck and add the "Power Wagon" package. Most dealers don't know this. It is much cheaper than an stickered Power Wagon RAM but with all the key components in a more basic finished rig. That was what we were investigating.

Here's what we did:
Custom ordered a base XL Super Duty truck with cool features like: 4.30 factory gears, rear locker, vinyl floor (no carpet), vinyl seats (nice), auxiliary switches... basically all the cool off road type parts. (Sadly Ford discontinued the manual shift transfer case in 2019 - I'm sure you could convert one since parts were made.) Under $40k out the door.

We then installed a proper OX Air Front Locker, air compressors, Carli Suspension, steel bumpers, rock sliders, method wheels and 37s. All in... we are less money than a Power Wagon or Tremor but with much better components. Love the high pinion D60 with manual hubs, simple proven motor design (no complicated crap to fail), proven transmission, overall beefy build quality. Aluminum body is great for cutting weight and no rust issues.

Just other ideas to consider! I'd also recommend only buying if you have the cash. Having impressive stuff with payments is no good. Save the money.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
I have a 2020 power wagon and in the owners manual it clearly states the engine is designed to run on 87 and 89 octane never once mentions premium (91). I have however ran full tanks of all 3 and there is zero difference in mpg or seat of the pants performance. as far as oil the owners manual recommends Pennzoil 0-40 or mopar 0-40 or any other 0-40 oil that meets specification so Castor oil and others meet spec so that pretty standard for any vehicle.
this was on an 87 fill up so mpg is not terrible but it is no honda civic.7CFEB113-905B-4250-A542-ED3B32B9FEE9_1_201_a.jpeg

Explorerinil

Observer
Read the bottle of 0w40 carefully, most don’t meet chrysler spec ( can’t recall the exact spec but it’s in the manual). I’ve been running amsoil since my wife is a dealer, I change the oil when the light comes on the dash, been averaging around 8k on oil changes. FYI amazon has an oil change kit for the 6.4 hemi for sale.

jadmt

ignore button user
Read the bottle of 0w40 carefully, most don’t meet chrysler spec ( can’t recall the exact spec but it’s in the manual). I’ve been running amsoil since my wife is a dealer, I change the oil when the light comes on the dash, been averaging around 8k on oil changes. FYI amazon has an oil change kit for the 6.4 hemi for sale.
ms-12633. Recommended but not required. No different than the 3.6 recommending a certain specified oil. I did score a couple cases of Pennzoil ultra platinum on prime day for $37 a case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke