Power Wagon vs F250 Tremor

Explorerinil

Observer
Interesting that the 7.3 gets that much better mileage than the hemi. I had a 6.4 for less than a year in a mega cab. I was lucky to hit 13-15 on the highway on stock pizza cutter tires. Average was closer to 9-10 like you were seeing. Both sound better than the 6.0 Chevy I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10 speed trans probably helps.

Mako1114

Adventurer
I think i've seen 14mpg once but also average 11mpg mixed with 37s. I live at sea level. Totally worth it though as I love my 2021 PW. I believe I read it on this board where someone referred to "smiles per gallon"!!

Cheers

Definitely get better than 11/13
Same, on 37’s I think I saw 13mpg once and usually averaged around 11mpg mixed and single digits towing.

Definitely am getting better mileage with my '21 Tradesman Power Wagon, even with 35s and the front air dam removed. I've averaged 13.0 MPG (hand-calculated), and get 15-ish highway at 65/70 mph. No experience with towing.

The rig isn't particularly fuel-efficient, but it's not quite as bad as I thought it'd be!

Mako1114

Adventurer
I switched OEM rims and tires less than 100 miles after buying my 2021 PW and immediately had a TPMS sensor failure, however 4WP was able to re-set the sensor and no issues since. I also had problems with the OEM battery which died on me twice so I replaced it with an H7 AGM Interstate from Costco and no issues since. I read a few accounts on-line where this happened and the dealership replaced the OEM battery with a new one that also failed so I cut my losses and just bought a better battery. No other issues to report in first 5K miles.

Cheers

RCP

mpg has not been an issue with my 2020 PW. I have never gotten close to 9-10mpg running 35" tires and in fact rarely have gotten under 12mpg and that would when 80-85mph in the wind.

This has been my experience as well, I have 52K miles on my 2018 PW and I have averaged around 12.5 MPG on 35's. Towing on the other hand I am hovering between 7.5 and 8 for the average.

nater

Adventurer
My power wagon with the 8speed on 37s averaged 9mpg in the city... On the highway, maybe 14. Hook a trailer up, and it was not pretty...

SoTxAg06

What gears did you have? I get 11mpg on a 3500 CC LB 4x4 with a 2200# Hardside truck camper and lots of stuff if I keep it below 60, upper 9s at 70mpg. 4.10s and the 6.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3.73, my overall average was around 9-10 due to stop and go driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nater

Adventurer
Your post feels past tense, do you still have it?

As of 2 weeks ago, I do not. I needed more weight capacity to tow my airstream, and so had to move to a regular 2500. Ended up with a brand new loaded cummins truck for almost nothing out of pocket (amazing trade in value on the old truck, and below invoice on the new truck if I was willing to order it and wait). It seems I hit the market just about right between supply chain crisis and the fuel crisis.

All the thuren goodies are going on the new truck, as well as the RSI cap, etc.

I know where a 2019 power wagon is with 12,000 very babied miles is - they are going to end up selling it at a loss I think.

I've been mulling over this for a while. Had some other financial obligations take priority. My conclusion has been an F350 Tremor with 7.3 gasser. I don't see the point of owning such a large, capable and thirsty truck if you are not maximizing capability. That sticker with the ratings is the thing. I can get the tremor and make its suspension a lot nicer and keep the ratings. I could do the same with a Ram 3500 and AEV the daylights out of it. The power wagon handicaps you with that payload.. The PW is a beast for the trail but if I am focused on that than I will get a smaller vehicle.

In short, if I am paying full size costs I want full sized payload and towing. If I am worried about technical trails etc I will get a technical trail vehicle.

Gas is the better option for ease of maintenance and versatility. Any non US trips due to diesel quality. Diesel is the power flex. Most of these modern diesels are expensive to maintain and feed but 1000+ pounds of torque has an intrinsic value. Also still seeing 19 or what lever mpg some how makes it hurt less even if excel will tell you the painful truth.

My logical side tells me to get the 7.3, my testosterone tells me get the 6.7. If we start talking diesel than a 3500 Ram starts getting interesting again, lots of aftermarket and the Cummings is a awesome.

Personally I think Ram has the nicer interiors. I am a Ford guy and like their layout but I really like the new Rams.

The correct answer I suppose is "yes" just buy em all if you got the money.

Last edited:

Zuber

My 2013 RAM/Cummins - worst mileage was 14 mpg. That was loaded with a Fourwheeler type camper, pulling a 7x16, 5000 lb load, enclosed trailer and running into a 20 mph head wind at 65-75 mph. Generally, it got 16-17 towing and 18.5-21 empty.

I'm currently buying my 5th RAM/Cummins, but a 3500 Cab n Chassis this time. Getting the optional fuel tank at 75 gallons. So, about 1200 or more miles of range. That makes buying Diesel much more economical since you can shop. Recent trip, $3.40 in UT, $4.28 in OR, $5.60-$7.90 in CA.

The extra maintenance for Diesel is BS (IMHO). More fuel filter changes and an EGR filter every 70k is most of the diff. The new (12 yo) emission equipment is solid on the Cummins.

Compare driving a Gas vs. Diesel in the mountains and max GVWR. There is no comparison. The Gas will wear you out as you slowly climb up at max RPM's only then having to drag the brakes down the other side. Diesel is calm by comparison. Good representative videos on Fast Lane Truck.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The two fuel filters are $135 max for both and that's buying OEM Mopar if you shop it around at current reduced prices. 12qts of Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic is roughly $90 but you can get it as low as $72 at Wally World when it's in stock (which is almost never) and the OEM Mopar oil filter is roughly $15. I average around 1/gal of DEF per every 1000 miles driven, slightly more if towing. This brings the DEF costs to $20-30 per every 5000 miles depending on where you buy your DEF. Diesel here in the greater Houston area is averaging around $1 more than Regular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94