Power Wagon vs F250 Tremor

Zybane

Reviving an old thread as I'm now debating a 2022 Power Wagon or 2022 Tremor Platinum diesel.

Any updated thoughts on this?

One thing that has me leaning towards the Tremor is in my previous Power Wagon (2016), the seats were dreadfully uncomfortable. Have they been revised at all?

I like to off-road but also will be doing long distance trips. The thought of effortlessly cruising along at 90MPH in a Diesel Tremor with great massage seats sound quite nice!

GeorgeHayduke

Any reason you're not considering the 7.3 gas tremor? Looks like a great drivetrain with 4.30's and the 10 speed. There are also reports of a Ram 2500 rebel coming in 2023 that has the power wagon front grill but a cummins engine and might be a better comparison with a diesel tremor.

The Ram interiors got updated in 2019 and (hopefully?) addressed your seat comfort issues. The power wagon can be had with a center console as an option now which might also change your perception of seat comfort.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have a 2020 Power wagon and it is only level one but the seats are uber comfy. Both my wife and I can do long drives ie a 800-900 miles are nothing and other than watching the gas gauge drop you can do 90mph no problem all day long.. If I had the coin I would get a Tremor with 7.3 gasser..simply because the Ford SD looks so good lol.

ripperj

Explorer
I have a 2020 Power wagon and it is only level one but the seats are uber comfy. Both my wife and I can do long drives ie a 800-900 miles are nothing and other than watching the gas gauge drop you can do 90mph no problem all day long.. If I had the coin I would get a Tremor with 7.3 gasser..simply because the Ford SD looks so good lol.

You are officially expelled from the Ram fan boys club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eyemgh

Any reason you're not considering the 7.3 gas tremor? Looks like a great drivetrain with 4.30's and the 10 speed. There are also reports of a Ram 2500 rebel coming in 2023 that has the power wagon front grill but a cummins engine and might be a better comparison with a diesel tremor.

The Ram interiors got updated in 2019 and (hopefully?) addressed your seat comfort issues. The power wagon can be had with a center console as an option now which might also change your perception of seat comfort.

Second on the Godzilla. We ordered a F350 Super Cab XLT, 7.3/4.30, non-Tremor and put a full Carli Pintop on it. Nice ride.

Explorerinil

Observer
Reviving an old thread as I'm now debating a 2022 Power Wagon or 2022 Tremor Platinum diesel.

Any updated thoughts on this?

One thing that has me leaning towards the Tremor is in my previous Power Wagon (2016), the seats were dreadfully uncomfortable. Have they been revised at all?

I like to off-road but also will be doing long distance trips. The thought of effortlessly cruising along at 90MPH in a Diesel Tremor with great massage seats sound quite nice!
I’ve owned both, I traded a fully loaded 19 power wagon for a 21 f250 XLT tremor with the 7.3 gas. The power wagon is a much more off-road oriented truck that will do better off road and on tighter trails. I traded my power wagon in for several reasons, the small cab space compared to the ford, the leather seats got extremely uncomfortable, I hated the hemi mds and the fuel economy was terrible. The ford 7.3 gas big block has no active fuel management and it’s a much more robust design. The 10 speed in the ford is much better, but the rams 8 speed is excellent. The ford has tremor comes stock with 4:30 gears and the Dana 60 front axle doesn’t have a central axle disconnect like the ram. Ford uses a one piece 35 spline shaft with manual hubs, a much stronger design. My power wagon got 9-10 mpg, tremor gets 13-15, with 14 being the average.

comparing a diesel tremor to a power wagon is comparing two completely different vehicles. Do you want a factory hard core off road truck or do you want a heavy duty truck to tow and haul heavy loads into some remote areas?

Zybane

I've kinda already done the big-gas engine on a truck with my last Power Wagon and I just like diesel driving characteristics better. I don't like revvy engines in a truck. Plus I live at 8K feet in Colorado and routinely go above 10-12K feet so having the turbo on the diesel helps compensate more.

Thanks for the tip-off about a possible Cummins 2500 Rebel. It also looks like Ford may be updating the Super Duty interior for 2023. So looks like I will wait and see how the 2023 models shape up before pulling the trigger. Do next model year HD trucks come out the prior year summer/fall?

Explorerinil

Observer
I've kinda already done the big-gas engine on a truck with my last Power Wagon and I just like diesel driving characteristics better. I don't like revvy engines in a truck. Plus I live at 8K feet in Colorado and routinely go above 10-12K feet so having the turbo on the diesel helps compensate more.

Thanks for the tip-off about a possible Cummins 2500 Rebel. It also looks like Ford may be updating the Super Duty interior for 2023. So looks like I will wait and see how the 2023 models shape up before pulling the trigger. Do next model year HD trucks come out the prior year summer/fall?
Sounds like your mind is made up. From what I heard today the 2022 order bank for ford is closing in the next week or so. I’ve also heard they have built their allocation of 2022 super duty’s, you probably won’t get a 2022 model but you never know. The 2023 model year order bank should open early spring, expect a fall or early winter delivery date. FYI I just ordered a Fleet vehicle from ford for work today.

UglyViking

I've got a 19 2500 with Cummins and full Thuren suspension, so not really a stock power wagon comparison here but I recently went from Myrtle Beach to southern NH (~950 miles) in a single day. I made a few stops along the way (3 I think) to fuel up, stretch the legs and hit the head, but I didn't have a major issue. Perhaps it's a preference or sensitivity issue? I hear about seat comfort a lot, perhaps I'm just not used to the good life? haha

Zybane

I've got a 19 2500 with Cummins and full Thuren suspension, so not really a stock power wagon comparison here but I recently went from Myrtle Beach to southern NH (~950 miles) in a single day. I made a few stops along the way (3 I think) to fuel up, stretch the legs and hit the head, but I didn't have a major issue. Perhaps it's a preference or sensitivity issue? I hear about seat comfort a lot, perhaps I'm just not used to the good life? haha

The RAM seats in my '16 Power Wagon is one of the major reasons I had to get rid of it. Even after like only 30 minutes I started squirming in the seat, butt going numb. I have no idea why that happens only in that truck. In my Tesla's I can drive all day compared.

Explorerinil

Observer
The RAM seats in my '16 Power Wagon is one of the major reasons I had to get rid of it. Even after like only 30 minutes I started squirming in the seat, butt going numb. I have no idea why that happens only in that truck. In my Tesla's I can drive all day compared.
Same problem with my 19 power wagon with the leather seats they were horrible, now my 16 with the cloth was fine. My ford has a giant cloth reclining chair for a front seat.

SoTxAg06

I’ve owned both, I traded a fully loaded 19 power wagon for a 21 f250 XLT tremor with the 7.3 gas. The power wagon is a much more off-road oriented truck that will do better off road and on tighter trails. I traded my power wagon in for several reasons, the small cab space compared to the ford, the leather seats got extremely uncomfortable, I hated the hemi mds and the fuel economy was terrible. The ford 7.3 gas big block has no active fuel management and it’s a much more robust design. The 10 speed in the ford is much better, but the rams 8 speed is excellent. The ford has tremor comes stock with 4:30 gears and the Dana 60 front axle doesn’t have a central axle disconnect like the ram. Ford uses a one piece 35 spline shaft with manual hubs, a much stronger design. My power wagon got 9-10 mpg, tremor gets 13-15, with 14 being the average.

comparing a diesel tremor to a power wagon is comparing two completely different vehicles. Do you want a factory hard core off road truck or do you want a heavy duty truck to tow and haul heavy loads into some remote areas?

Interesting that the 7.3 gets that much better mileage than the hemi. I had a 6.4 for less than a year in a mega cab. I was lucky to hit 13-15 on the highway on stock pizza cutter tires. Average was closer to 9-10 like you were seeing. Both sound better than the 6.0 Chevy I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripperj

Explorer
Interesting that the 7.3 gets that much better mileage than the hemi. I had a 6.4 for less than a year in a mega cab. I was lucky to hit 13-15 on the highway on stock pizza cutter tires. Average was closer to 9-10 like you were seeing. Both sound better than the 6.0 Chevy I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What gears did you have? I get 11mpg on a 3500 CC LB 4x4 with a 2200# Hardside truck camper and lots of stuff if I keep it below 60, upper 9s at 70mpg. 4.10s and the 6.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jadmt

ignore button user
mpg has not been an issue with my 2020 PW. I have never gotten close to 9-10mpg running 35" tires and in fact rarely have gotten under 12mpg and that would when 80-85mph in the wind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles