Power Wagon vs F250 Tremor

docster

Ready set go!

Haha. So I am actually looking at one for next fall that will be my Daily Driver. Will be new purchase. And needs to be able to handle all the trails in the UP, but also tow my Airstream, 6k when fully loaded with all the kids stuff and fluids.

I like the fact that I can go diesel on the tremor, but I also know I don’t need it. The 10 speed and 7.3 are also sounding awesome.

But the PW is definitely more trail ready. It’s good to have choices, I don’t think I could go wrong with either really.

What would you do and why?

dbc9097a87132f3350ac4fcc2b053802.jpg

Vs
a381f37ec98705a58910ae4819688b0a.jpg

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Tremor b/c Ford, diesel, tow/haul capabilities, can get it in an F350 style, and you can add a factory winch if you choose.
I have owned a modded PW, and now want the Tremor if I ever go for an off-road p/u in the future. Generally, more of an SUV kinda guy.

The PW is a "softer" sprung 2500 due to sacrificing load for added trail/off road powess. That disconnecting sway bar and front locker is AMAZING if you can get it to engage promptly...

Gasser to Gasser? Make your decision based upon how much you want to carry/tow in the future, and whether you are a Ford/Dodge guy/gal.

YMMV--

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
Test drive them both how you will DD them. The Power Wagon is incredibly nice riding but as was said has a lot less pay load. mine has 1665 pay load on the door and running my vin it says 10999 tow capacity so you should be fine pulling a 6000lb camper. I just got back from a 450 road trip round to trip missoula to Bozeman. drove 80mph (speed limit) for most of it. In 450 miles I took 34 gallons. (filled up on both ends) got the same mpg both ways which is odd as I usually do better coming back as down hill. My daughter lives in Bozeman so we make the trip a lot.

Omar RVA

Ready set go!

Haha. So I am actually looking at one for next fall that will be my Daily Driver. Will be new purchase. And needs to be able to handle all the trails in the UP, but also tow my Airstream, 6k when fully loaded with all the kids stuff and fluids.

I like the fact that I can go diesel on the tremor, but I also know I don’t need it. The 10 speed and 7.3 are also sounding awesome.

But the PW is definitely more trail ready. It’s good to have choices, I don’t think I could go wrong with either really.

What would you do and why?

dbc9097a87132f3350ac4fcc2b053802.jpg

Vs
a381f37ec98705a58910ae4819688b0a.jpg

I have a power wagon and went through a similar decision process earlier this year. As others before me have said - make sure you test drive both in the use cases you expect.

What swung it to Ram for me is that I’ve modded plenty of trucks in the past but I wanted to pretty much quit with that and the problems it can bring. Except for tires, it’s everything I need/want from factory and with warranty. I don’t tow heavy enough to go diesel and don’t need the payload and rougher ride of the Ford. The 7.3 gasser is still “new” too. My daily commute is 6 miles and from what I read, modern diesels hate regular short and unloaded trips. Additionally when looking at similar equipment packages, Ford definitely costs a premium.

OA

ricoisme26

I've looked at both and would go for the Tremor given only the two, but I'd be looking at an F350 tremor and choosing it for the towing and payload capacities. I'm sure the Power Wagon is more trail ready but I'm sure the Tremor is more than capable as well. I wouldn't be one to take a $50k truck on any serious trails so I've been looking at a non-Tremor F350 instead and something more cost effective to use on trails and camping trips within a days drive. maybe haul the toy and camper for longer trips. like said above it all depends on what you want to do with the truck and tow/haul. 6k trailer I think you'll be fine with either truck

Explorerinil

Observer
I chose the power wagon for the better (more off road capable) suspension, front locker, sway bar disconnect and factory winch that’s standard equipment. On the power wagon I got a fully loaded one out the door cheaper than a tremor. Look at it this way, if you want a truck that will haul a decent amount of people/gear in some very remote areas with ease that you don’t need to do any mods to, then get the power wagon. If you want to get a diesel or pull a heavy trailer and be able to go down some ruff roads and don’t mind spending extra money get the tremor.

I would like to mention that I have loaded my power wagon down with gear and gone on one long vacation with it and have had no issues towing and hauling. During deer season I drive in some ruff areas and have pulled a deer up a hill in the woods with my factory winch. This truck is definitely made for an outdoors person and comes very capable stock. My only gripe is that it should have 35’s stock and some rock sliders as at least an option.

Trixxx

I went back and forth between the two, but ultimately ended up with the Tremor. A big item for me was the range, and a diesel Tremor blows the power wagon away. Plus, with the diesel you have the option to install an aux tank. I had originally planned for an aux tank, but seeing the mileage I get with my Tremor, I don’t think I’ll need it. I did a 120 mile round trip last weekend and averaged 20Mpg with highway speeds 70-75 the whole trip.

The power wagon is definitely a good truck and it’s certainly more capable off road than the Tremor. Ultimately, I’ve been happy with Ford’s reliability in the past and really like the additional power.

Even with the stock 35’s, it’s amazing when you can be going 60, pull out to pass someone and floor it, and you’re going 85-90 before you have a chance to look down as it plants your butt in your chair. 475 hp and 1050 lbs of torque is intoxicating.

Personally, when I get off the beaten path I get wayyyyy out there. I’m also typically alone (with the wife) so I’m not going to be pushing any vehicle to its limits off road, and I can’t fathom that I will ever be in a scenario that a power wagon could get out of, that my Tremor can’t.

The trucks take very little. I’ll throw on a leveling kit and 37’s and that’s about the extent of any major mods needed (also have a diamondback bed cover with two front runner racks installed)

Attachments

• 6C898861-E014-44E8-BA7B-23E8797BDF26.jpeg
    6C898861-E014-44E8-BA7B-23E8797BDF26.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

bahn112

I had the same debate earlier this year and ended up with the Powerwagon. Also, since I found a leftover '19 model the price difference was too great to ignore.
I don't tow so the tow capacity was a non-factor. Also, the Ram interiors are still imo a huge step up from their Ford or GM counterparts.

Drive both and make the decision yourself; you can't go wrong either way as they'll both make excellent bases for whatever your project entails.

phsycle

Adventurer
I compared the two quite a bit. I would be happy with either. Tradesman PW or XLT Tremor.

If I had to choose today, I’d probably lean Tremor. I like the cabin space for the kids. 35’s stock. Payload. 7.3.

If I did more hardcore trails, I’d go PW. But my travels are fairly tame.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Tremor, for the massive payload increase, option of a diesel, and the power wagon seems to have transmission problems, which I can vouch for, two of my buddies have them and both have gone through a tranny (and a front end) in less than 100,000KM (60,000 miles). Much better ride quality with the coil springs, but i'm sure you're not buying a heavy duty truck because it rides slightly better.

Explorerinil

Observer
Tremor, for the massive payload increase, option of a diesel, and the power wagon seems to have transmission problems, which I can vouch for, two of my buddies have them and both have gone through a tranny (and a front end) in less than 100,000KM (60,000 miles). Much better ride quality with the coil springs, but i'm sure you're not buying a heavy duty truck because it rides slightly better.
I haven’t heard of any trans problems with the ZF, nor any front end problems with the 19 plus updates.

on another note, the 7.3 ford has a known problem with a coils wire that goes bad randomly and will put you dead in the water with the replacement part on back order.

jadmt

ignore button user
I haven’t heard of any trans problems with the ZF, nor any front end problems with the 19 plus updates.

on another note, the 7.3 ford has a known problem with a coils wire that goes bad randomly and will put you dead in the water with the replacement part on back order.
My buddy works for a large ford dealership and he said there are lots of upset people waiting for back ordered parts, not just the plug/wires. He said said some have been able to use the 6.2 wires to cobble them together until the actual parts come in.

docster

That’s not good. I hadn’t heard that. I know the 6.4 Hemi is pretty darn reliable as is the 8 speed. Little nervous on the longevity of the 10spd. I guess I just assumed the 7.3 would be problem free since it’s going into commercial platforms.

Maybe I look at a regular Ram to and do the Thuren treatment to it. I do like the idea of keeping payload higher.

I have 4 kids, so it’s going to be loaded up. My daily commute is about 15 miles each way, but I have been home since March so nearly no miles outside of long trips.

Trixxx

That’s not good. I hadn’t heard that. I know the 6.4 Hemi is pretty darn reliable as is the 8 speed. Little nervous on the longevity of the 10spd. I guess I just assumed the 7.3 would be problem free since it’s going into commercial platforms.

The 7.3 is a brand new engine being offered. It’s not just a slight tweak on a motor that’s been out for years. For reference, a variance of the 6.7L in the power stroke has been around since 2011. That is a motor I would expect less issues.

I think the overall design and build of the 7.3 will end up as a pretty dang reliable engine with a lot of very happy customers, however being a brand new offering, I certainly would expect that there will be some issues that need tweaking.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I just ordered a 2021 F250 Tremor w/ the 7.3 gas yesterday after going through a similar decision making process. I opted for the Ford for a number of reasons, listed below:

- We had a fleet of Dodge/Ram vehicles at work, as well as Ford and Chevy, and the Dodge/Ram vehicle maintenance expenses were significantly higher as they were in the shop all. the. time.
- Can't get the PW with front bucket seats and a center console. I know, seems like an awfully odd thing but my work truck has a bench seat w/ fold down center & I hate it.
- I prefer the more utilitarian interior of the Ford. PW is straight luxury (depending on how you equip it) but I felt like the Ford nails the mix of utility/luxury.
- I prefer the design of the Ford, though the PW is pretty damn handsome.
- Based on research the Ford 7.3 gets slightly better fuel economy than the PW.
- Not a fan of the transmission dial on the PW. Much prefer the column shifter of the Ford.

Pros and cons with both. Ultimately, I'd recommend driving both, crawling around in them, have your kids sit in the seats, etc. and make a decision based on personal preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94