Power Wagon: Video, Pictures and Love

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
.......... 3.92 gears and it'll get up and go. .............. almost identical truck with the 3.55 gears and it was a dog... I wouldn't think that small of a difference in gearing would make a difference, but it did..

I can't see that small of a gearing difference making any difference in performance (not with a Hemi, anyway)

I'm thinking it has more to do with the MDS, or Multi Displacement System that Dodge starting messing with on the 5.7 Hemi's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Displacement_System

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Not sure how my last post got ignored but they definatley did make single cab Power Wagons up until 2010. I have seem them with my own eyes.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Not sure how my last post got ignored but they definatley did make single cab Power Wagons up until 2010. I have seem them with my own eyes.

Nobody ever questioned that?? No worries though….nobody ignored you. The reality is the 4th Gen Ram Power Wagons is where the interest on this forum because most people that come to this forum wouldn’t know which way to spin a wrench but know how to buy ready built vehicles and there aren’t a whole lot of good used 3rd Gen Ram Power Wagons out there to buy especially in standard cabs (like a small few of us prefer). The 3rd Gen Rams looked okay but the 4th Gen look so much better. Now that we are all used to seeing the 4th Gen Ram’s running around, the 3rd Gen Ram’s look almost odd and have a striking resemblance to an aardvark.

Hawkz

Adventurer
Per this web site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Power_Wagon

The configuration was only available as a regular cab with 8 feet (2.4 m) bed (chassis) or a Quad Cab with the 6.5 feet (2.0 m) bed through 2008. In 2009, the Power Wagon is only available as a Quad Cab Short Bed model.

Dodge quit making the regular cab PW in 2008. I assumed this to be correct, so all my searches for a regular cab PW go up to 2008...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Nobody ever questioned that?? No worries though….nobody ignored you. The reality is the 4th Gen Ram Power Wagons is where the interest on this forum because most people that come to this forum wouldn't know which way to spin a wrench but know how to buy ready built vehicles and there aren't a whole lot of good used 3rd Gen Ram Power Wagons out there to buy especially in standard cabs (like a small few of us prefer). The 3rd Gen Rams looked okay but the 4th Gen look so much better. Now that we are all used to seeing the 4th Gen Ram's running around, the 3rd Gen Ram's look almost odd and have a striking resemblance to an aardvark.

Have I earned my wrench turning merit badge yet?

Come on now, I just finally started liking the look of the 3rd gen dodge! I bypassed liking the 2nd gen dodge alltogether.....but I like the 3rd gen, especially the black grill ST versions. I still don't like the 4th gen trucks.....give me a few years.

IMAG0097.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That is a great looking 3rd Gen with the black grill. 3rd Gen standard cabs look good, it is the 3rd Gen Quad Cabs that look odd from certain angles.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Those single cab PW's got bought up by all the smart farmers and ranchers out there... never to be seem again except at a feed store now and them ;)

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Note to all Power Wagon owners out there! This is very important: You need to figure out a way to waterproof the smartbar electronics. Crawl under the truck and look at the large connector (where it attaches to the Smart bar) with a dozen wires coming out of it... this WILL FAIL It will corrode eventually. Mine did this summer. You will no longer have use of your lockers or smart bar when this happens. The Dodge dealer has no idea what to do besides replacing everything at a tune of around 2500-3000 bucks. This is a bad design and hopefully will be addressed on future editions of the truck. Be Careful!

jcbrandon

Explorer
...look at the large connector (where it attaches to the Smart bar) with a dozen wires coming out of it... this WILL FAIL It will corrode eventually...

Thanks for the heads up. What exactly failed? Just the connector? A whole wiring harness? Got any photos? It would be great if you could show us what you found and how you solved the problem. Any help much appreciated.

lstzephyr

wanderer
The reality is the 4th Gen Ram Power Wagons is where the interest on this forum because most people that come to this forum wouldn't know which way to spin a wrench but know how to buy ready built vehicles. The 3rd Gen Rams looked okay but the 4th Gen look so much better. Now that we are all used to seeing the 4th Gen Ram's running around, the 3rd Gen Ram's look almost odd and have a striking resemblance to an aardvark.

Hmm I find that surprising. I think there is quite a bit of people working on their own stuff here. I can't say I have been paying attention though so now I am curious.

I try to turn as few wrenches as possible but I'm even more against spending good traveling money on expensive pickups. I'm admittedly biased and I can see the attraction to a new truck with lockers and good suspension from the factory.

Have I earned my wrench turning merit badge yet?

Come on now, I just finally started liking the look of the 3rd gen dodge! I bypassed liking the 2nd gen dodge alltogether.....but I like the 3rd gen, especially the black grill ST versions. I still don't like the 4th gen trucks.....give me a few years.

I'm with you. I like the looks of the 2nd gen but I hate the interior. I think the 3rd gens looks good although I'm surprised how close that 3rd gen is to the size of your truck. I like it!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
And that 3rd gen is on 37" BFG KM2's on stock wheels with no cutting.....and only a front leveling kit. The km2 is a smaller 37, but still! Its WAY cool to be able to run larger tires on a full size without having to lift it a ton or cut it a bunch.

My truck was still a bit smaller though......with basically 39s :) hehe

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the heads up. What exactly failed? Just the connector? A whole wiring harness? Got any photos? It would be great if you could show us what you found and how you solved the problem. Any help much appreciated.

Ill post a few Pics. So far there isn't a reliable fix. On the Power Wagon site on Dodge Talk it is a huge topic.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
IMAG0097.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I still prefer the ugly old one with the uncomfortable interior as opposed the the really ugly new one with slightly better interior

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles