Power wagon rambox problems

bdp1978

Adventurer
I dont have ramboxes on my Ram. I do run a tonneau because the truck is our family trip vehicle. I have it setup so that I can haul all of our bikes on a rack over the tonneau, stuff our luggage in the bed and keep it dry....and still have the hitch open to tow with. I can have both the rack and tonneau off in about 2-3 minutes if I need the open bed.
20160730_104300_zpsbqmkvqao.jpg

p nut

butter
Air takes up a lot of space! Need a topper or tonnaeu cover to contain it or it escapes!

I made a pully system to take my topper on and off...well... used it once. Took off the SnugTop and put on a Wildernest, which has even more utility! It is a topper, it is a tent camper...look at all that air it can hold, open or closed! :sombrero:

I'd love to get a Wildernest. Such a cool tent. Unfortunately, can't justify it as we just don't have time to head out often enough to make the purchase worthwhile. Plus, the garage doesn't have a lot of space, so storage becomes an issue. Would like one someday, though.
_
Yeah, we need that air to stay in the bed. Otherwise, MPG suffers!

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/26/ford-f-150-tailgate-up-down-mpg-video/

Clutch

<---Pass
I'd love to get a Wildernest. Such a cool tent. Unfortunately, can't justify it as we just don't have time to head out often enough to make the purchase worthwhile. Plus, the garage doesn't have a lot of space, so storage becomes an issue. Would like one someday, though.
_
Yeah, we need that air to stay in the bed. Otherwise, MPG suffers!

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/26/ford-f-150-tailgate-up-down-mpg-video/

Use it a bunch...couple times a month. Even keep a little camping gear in the truck at all times, just never know if I'll see a spot and decide to camp for the night.

yeah, gotta keep that air in there...if you pump in some helium, since it is lighter than air...you'll get better mpgs! :p

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Well the bed loss is minimal and if you are carrying lumber its un-usable space anyway. Plus for people that use the truck as a Lifestyle choice its a nice feature.

I have never understood why people buy toppers or tonneau covers though. You loose so much utility when you close a bed in.

I agree. I always thought I'd get a shell after we don't use the popup anymore. However,I've reconsidered and plan on leaving it open. I might consider a rail mounted toolbox.

mobob

The guys at FrontRunner made a custom rack setup that mounts to the inside mounts on the new Dodge Bed. I have seen pictures from a Friend of a Friend who has it, so I know it exists even though it's not on the website. You might want to call them to ask about it.

ttengineer

Adventurer
The guys at FrontRunner made a custom rack setup that mounts to the inside mounts on the new Dodge Bed. I have seen pictures from a Friend of a Friend who has it, so I know it exists even though it's not on the website. You might want to call them to ask about it.

Think you can track down those photos?

mobob

I saw them on a buddies phone. I'll ask him for them when I talk to him later this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mobob

It was designed with the intent of supporting a RTT and the occupants. I don't see it being that different than one on a roof from a mounting perspective.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ttengineer

Adventurer
It was designed with the intent of supporting a RTT and the occupants. I don't see it being that different than one on a roof from a mounting perspective.

It's actually a fairly big difference. So the roof has cross members and trusses that run across it for structural support. Also the trim of the roof, where one would mount brackets for a rack, is further beefed up, in turn creating a very stable platform for mounting.

Conversely, the cargo rail in the bed is not designed for safty in the event of rollover so it is only secured to the sheet metal with a few screws and plastic anchors. The rack will help distribute weight across the bed area but with only a few fastening points on the rail, the load would still be transferred to those points.

If there was a way to reinforce those points, which I think there is if you remove the ram boxes, the rail could be made to support more weight by adding a thick piece of stock steel in parallel with the rail and spreading the tension load of the few small screws across the entire length of the bed sheet metal.

mobob

Yes,. Agreed. I was referring to the rack mounts and rack itself, the stupid design of the rail is a whole different issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz