Power Wagon common problems? Best years?

STREGA

Explorer
Bought a new 2005 in the flame red color a real looker for sure, the first one at the Grand Junction Ram dealer and possibly the western slope. Had it for about 3 years and put on about 35K miles before life changes made need for a vehicle change. The only issue I had with it besides poor mpg numbers was the throttle stuck open on it twice once when it was on cruise control and once when it wasn't, although a stuck throttle is a scary thing to have happen the worst part was 3 different dodge dealer could not figure out what cause it to stick.

As for which year is best I don't know for sure but the 6.4 Hemi is a better engine IMHO than the 5.7L in the earlier PW's. I wish the Aisin transmission was available for the PW, the 6.4 Hemi/Aisin combo in my 3500 is hard to beat.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nope, not a thing! Do't believe that the manufacturer is your friend.

Exactly. Ford won't warranty anything cosmetic. Even when the Mustang plant has a doomaflachy set incorrectly and it scratches the bottom right of the rear window on 10,000 units in 2004. No warranty.

Forgot to check your bumpers for holes when you bought a new $80,000 truck? No warranty on that either. Even with OEM chrome in the bumper crack/hole, they assume it's damage.

GM ain't even touching the $6000 repair bills for ZR2 airbags trying to decapitate people.

I personally witnessed Dodge try to explain to an elderly woman (neighbor) that a cracked block on a Neon wasn't a warranty issue. That car had seen no winters. I had to go way up the food chain to get that fixed and may have threatened to collect the service writers ears. I guess he didn't know I was a master tech.

The big 3 can make garbage, because nobody holds them accountable. Almost as bad as the RV industry. Should have let them die off in 2007-8. New car companies would have replaced them.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Okay, but warranties are real things, and if a company denies a warranty claim on a powertrain component, there has to be a valid reason for doing so.

You would think so, but that's not always the case. Good luck in court against a company like that as well. The majority of the time things are done correctly and the consumer is protected and covered, but it does go the other way with no hard evidence as to why warranty claims are denied. This is just the sad reality of the auto world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz