Power Take Off

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
One option in ordering a new F350 is a PTO. Is there any reason to consider this for an overland vehicle? Thanks in advance.

Kingsize24

Hydraulic winch.

Basically any operation you can think of that uses hydraulic pressure for activation and control.

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
The PTO only costs about $250, but the generator accessories look pretty pricy, and the obvious winch example...is there a superior option from Warn or others to the mass produced electric winches? I bet there is an air conditioning unit somewhere, but would that be your first choice? In other words, there are many things you could attach to a PTO, but what would you actually use vs more common and/or cheaper options. What is the compelling application? Otherwise it is a waste of money. My guess is a snowplow or some other common specialty is the compelling application.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
The hidden wheel lifts used by repo guys run off a PTO, only thing i can think of straight off.

PTO winch would be a great tool. Electric winches are a serious component and draw a LOT of current. I’d love a PTO driven one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
Ok, a PTO winch would provide a lighter front end, endless power, but I seldom use a winch at all, plus it is more expensive to install, so that is not a convincing argument...any other arguements?

That’s about the only thing I’d want to run off of it. On the other hand, if it’s only $250 more I’d probably order it. Ya never know what might come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NatersXJ6

Explorer
In addition to the obvios winch, PTO could run a snowplow down pressure unit, a set of leveling jacks, any number of tools off the rear bumper, augers, tilt beds, steering assist, etc... They are really work truck options, but also something you can use to be much more awesome than the other guy. If I was dropping all the coin on a new truck, I would probably get the PTO if I knew it was available.

I would want to know exactly what you get in the PTO option though. If it is just an installation port on the transfer case, it might not be worth the money. If it a clutched, driven shaft, it is probably worth it, even if you never use it!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
On the Fords the PTO option includes the port on the trans with the internal gear in the trans to drive it. I believe it also includes the software programming in the PCM for a PTO. There are all sorts of commercial uses for a PTO; wreckers, bucket trucks, etc. I'm a fleet mechanic and deal with them alot.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Don't know if the upfitter switches are an option or standard but make sure you get them. They are the factory row of switches that are fused and relayed power where the factory breakout harness is in the left rear corner of the engine compartment. Make adding lights and such very easy.

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
"leveling jacks", now that's something I never thought of...but not the type I would use just to level my camper, I bet. Is there any aftermarket kit for leveling a camper with those?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
For $250 it is most likely a "PTO PREP" option.

Most all, if not all, 6R140's have provisions for a PTO, but it takes additional items and prep, well before bolting on a PTO.

The PTO itself is a hefty piece, and not cheap. They run about $1500.
As for weight. once you bolt on the PTO, add the PTO winch, I REALLY doubt you are saving any weight over a modern electric winch.

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
Thanks everyone.
These responses confirm my expectation that the PTO would never offer value for me, but your help in brainstorming it is much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier