Power Steering Question.

yabanja

Explorer
I am sitting here nursing a bad case of tennis elbow. We just returned from a pretty awesome two week trip to Southern Utah. At one point we had three days in a row which where twelve hours of driving in low range covering 30 miles or less each day. I was running very low psi for traction over the huge sandstone steps and boulders that Utah is famous for. So to the point. When my truck is at very low pressures and not moving or barely moving the steering is very very heavy. I always figured this was normal as I really haven't driven any other FUSO's other than that one time in an Earthcruiser when I was too dazzled to notice the steering(thanks Howard and Heidi). Anyway, I was wondering what everyone else's steering feels like? Are there modifications to improve the power steering assist levels?

Thanks for your input!

Allan

javajoe79

Fabricator
My NPR is not at all stock in the suspension department or any other department for that matter but the steering is still heavy at low speeds, off road, like you describe. I haven't done it yet but I will probably add a hydraulic assist ram as is common in the off road world. Not Full hydraulic steering though as that is illegal for road use. It is a pretty simple addition to anything that already has power steering.

westyss

Explorer
When you consider that these trucks are designed and came with pretty small skinny tires and meant to operate at high tire pressures then we put on big rubber and lower the tire pressure to make a larger footprint that increases the surface friction resulting in a steering system that needs to work even harder........... well I expect to feel the difference.

When I am driving in those conditions I seldom turn the wheel unless I am moving, but with that said maybe your system is getting old and tired and needs a little rejuvenation!

yabanja

Explorer
I drove the truck again today and the power assist felt good. I think it was just the fatigue of 12 hours sawing on the wheel over big obstacles wearing me down. Gotta man up to be a FUSO Driver!!!

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Usually when we are driving along the engine is running at 2000 rpm or better and the power steering works well, but at lower revs climbing over rocks less engine revs so less power steering pressure. Bigger tyres and the rest as well. Being older and having some wear in parts doesn't help either.

" Is it maybe possible to fit an electric hydraulic pump in parallel with the original power steering pump that could be switched on (even maybe with a pressure switch) under less than optimum engine revs " ?

Dan.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
" Is it maybe possible to fit an electric hydraulic pump in parallel with the original power steering pump that could be switched on (even maybe with a pressure switch) under less than optimum engine revs " ?
A possible source for something like that? Chevy/GMC C4500/5500 come stock with an 'electric auxiliary pump' that runs automatically if the engine driven system is not working.

alanymarce

When you consider that these trucks are designed and came with pretty small skinny tires and meant to operate at high tire pressures then we put on big rubber and lower the tire pressure to make a larger footprint that increases the surface friction resulting in a steering system that needs to work even harder........... well I expect to feel the difference.

Yes indeed - and take into account also that putting more power into a steering system which is struggling means the possibility of over-stressing it. If you increase the power assist too much you could break something, or just wear it out more quickly - bushings, arms, whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles