Power Port

Steve Curren

Explorer
I don't know if this is the proper place is ask the question but here goes. I remember someone writing about a power port that was designed to withstand the off road roughness and keep the plug from working it's way out. I recently installed a Lowrance and I would like to find a port that I can use.

k6uk

Adventurer
I am starting to use Anderson Powerpoles for my electrical connections:
powerpoles_15_lrg.jpg

They are pretty cool and come in 15, 30, 45, and 75 amp versions.
they can be locked together (side by side) and have a pretty strong grip.

This little device:
powerpoles_bloklokclamp_2_lrg.jpg

allows you to lock sets together for high vibration environments.

PowerPoles can also be configured in a spiffy chassis mount:
powerpoles_chassismounthousings_hs4_lrg.jpg

powerpoles_chassismounthousings_hs8_lrg.jpg

and they make a mating plug for the chassis mount if you want to go that route:
pak_xlrg.jpg

These have become the standard electrical connector used for emergency communications equipment, and you may recognise the larger 350 amp powerpoles:
powerpoles_sb175_red_lrg.jpg

used often in industrial applications.

-Mike

PS. I should also mention that West Mountain Radio makes a pretty neat line of power distribution products featuring powerpoles - with individually fused circuits. I wish they were a little more space saving though. Here is a pic of their largest one, but they make several smaller ones:
rr8012_xlrg.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Curren

Explorer
Thanks for the information, I guess I am going to have to hard wire the GPS, I was hoping to keep the plug on it but i guess for a proper connection I will have to do it your way.
Thanks for your help.
Steve

asteffes

Explorer
Make yourself an adaptor with a PowerPole and cig socket. Plug the Lowrance into the cig socket and tape over it. Plug the PowerPole into a power source. That should be secure, but not too permanent.

asteffes

Explorer
FWIW, I like the larger PowerPoles but find the smaller 15 and 30 ampere models way too fragile. Stepping on one can crack the plastic beyond repair. If you use them, use hefty ones.

Steve Curren

Explorer
Adam,
Thanks for the advise, I will do with the cigarette type and then secure to a power source with a Power Pole. I am not at all concerned about stepping on it, I have the power routed to overhead on my cage bars. I guess if I rolled I might step on them but I am praying that I can keep it upright at all times.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve Curren

Explorer
I checked out the Power Poles and they seem to be what is needed, I am ordering the Dee series box because they are short in height and will carry current in as well as use the Power Poles. I guess that since they are connectors I will still be able to remove the GPS as well as radios and make me feel more secure.
Thanks again for all the help,
Steve Curren

Steve Curren

Explorer
Leo,
Thanks for the information, I like the plug and the socket, guess I am sending off for another fix. It really looks like a good solution to the problem of the plug working loose.
Steve

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Steve,
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier...anyway, the 12 volt sockets that we mounted in your trailer are the locking marine variety. All you need to do is convert the 12 volt plug on your GPS to the locking type and replace or add the locking socket to your dash. We've got the sockets by the bucket and we can get the plug for you. Drop a line and we'll set you up.
Later dude

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94