Potential 2013 or 2014 LR4 purchase

kman62

Observer
Sorry, but I would like your valued opinion I'm on the fence of buying a LR4 but I came across this 2013 LR4, prior CPO vehicle with I think 6 months left on the warranty. I has had the LCA bushing and water pump replaced.

It's priced at #31,552 with 56,576 miles from landrovernewportbeach.com

I wonder what other items will need to be replaced over the next five years. I will have at least 125K miles in 2023 and plan on keeping the LR4 until 2026. I heard that I should plan on spending at least $2500 a year on repairs. Would extending the warranty be a better option? I also saw this 2014 LR4 at CarMax for 37K, I was told to expect to spend at least 5K on a warranty form them. Darn, I don't remember how long the warranty would last.

I guess it all comes down to expectations. I'll also search for buying guides here as well. Has anyone put together a check list of items to use when buyin a used LR4?

Last edited:

merr1ca

That seams to be a pretty good deal. 2013 was arguably the best year of the LR4. The timing chain issues seem to have been sorted. That's a pretty good deal from a LR store with a bit of warranty yet. The Heavy Duty pack (rear locker, full size spare) is rare nice to see that one has it.

Most of these aftermarket warranties suck. However, the CarMax one *has* been proven to be good, unless they changed it...

$2500 bucks sounds a bit on the high side. If you find a good indy repair guy who doesn't charge an arm and a leg, it shouldn't be that much. The LR4 is about as reliable as it gets for a Rover and honestly is better than some other Euro cars of similar age that I have owned.

As for a check list, I would have checked those two things. LCA's and water pump. Make sure the compressor isn't too loud, but the '13's have the AMK and it generally better than the Shitachi.

Mod's because that should be your next question...

Wheels and tires: Stock 19" wheels with duratracs. Awesome combo. 18" wheels, you have one choice for now (USA) Compomotive's and 265/65R18. Don't do spacers. Don't go wider or taller than 265/65/18, essentially it wont fit. It's not worth it and the accelerated wear on components will drive you nuts. Ask me how I know...

*Protip, the LR4 wheel wells are not the same as the LR3...*

LR Max

Local Oaf
If it has full history and a clean carfax, I'd probably just pull the trigger. $2500...I can believe that if you drive it a lot and pay someone everytime a wrench needs to be turned on it. Oil changes can be significantly slimmed down as well as some other maintenance items. I don't know your level of comfort doing so, though. But yes, if you can keep up on maintenance, these trucks will serve you well.

They will eat bushings and brakes on a somewhat regular basis. You are looking at a big chunk of service every 30k to 60k on these vehicles. Once again, a lot of that is oil changes in the diffs and transfer case as well as misc other filters. If you can do it yourself, you'll save yourself a bunch of money.

Warranty sounds high but I would look at the fine print. If it is just to 100k on the odometer, that is high. But if its a 100k and would cover things like air suspension, bushings, tie rods, and sunroof leaks, then that could be beneficial. Also it kinda looks like you are expected to bring it to carmax for repair? That is a bit concerning. I just checked on their website and they do not provide many details.

kman62

Observer
That seams to be a pretty good deal. 2013 was arguably the best year of the LR4. The timing chain issues seem to have been sorted. That's a pretty good deal from a LR store with a bit of warranty yet. The Heavy Duty pack (rear locker, full size spare) is rare nice to see that one has it.

Most of these aftermarket warranties suck. However, the CarMax one *has* been proven to be good, unless they changed it...

$2500 bucks sounds a bit on the high side. If you find a good indy repair guy who doesn't charge an arm and a leg, it shouldn't be that much. The LR4 is about as reliable as it gets for a Rover and honestly is better than some other Euro cars of similar age that I have owned.

As for a check list, I would have checked those two things. LCA's and water pump. Make sure the compressor isn't too loud, but the '13's have the AMK and it generally better than the Shitachi.

Mod's because that should be your next question...

Wheels and tires: Stock 19" wheels with duratracs. Awesome combo. 18" wheels, you have one choice for now (USA) Compomotive's and 265/65R18. Don't do spacers. Don't go wider or taller than 265/65/18, essentially it wont fit. It's not worth it and the accelerated wear on components will drive you nuts. Ask me how I know...

*Protip, the LR4 wheel wells are not the same as the LR3...*

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I already have dreams of buying the 18 inch Compomotive Wheels for the LR4. Ok, I think I'm getting ahead of myself here. lol.

kman62

Observer
If it has full history and a clean carfax, I'd probably just pull the trigger. $2500...I can believe that if you drive it a lot and pay someone everytime a wrench needs to be turned on it. Oil changes can be significantly slimmed down as well as some other maintenance items. I don't know your level of comfort doing so, though. But yes, if you can keep up on maintenance, these trucks will serve you well.

They will eat bushings and brakes on a somewhat regular basis. You are looking at a big chunk of service every 30k to 60k on these vehicles. Once again, a lot of that is oil changes in the diffs and transfer case as well as misc other filters. If you can do it yourself, you'll save yourself a bunch of money.

Warranty sounds high but I would look at the fine print. If it is just to 100k on the odometer, that is high. But if its a 100k and would cover things like air suspension, bushings, tie rods, and sunroof leaks, then that could be beneficial. Also it kinda looks like you are expected to bring it to carmax for repair? That is a bit concerning. I just checked on their website and they do not provide many details.

I've replaced brake pads, shocks and water pumps, tune ups and oil changes on my 84 Buick back in the day. So I have a little wrench turning experience, so I should be able to save some money.

Thanks for your response.

BikePilot

The 13 will have the 5.0l v8. The 14 they supercharged v6. I'd take the 8! Especially if the 14 doesn't have the HD package as they eliminated the two speed transfer case in 14 except on jd package trucks. Prior all had the two speed transfer case and hd added full size spare and rear locking diff.

kman62

Observer
The 13 will have the 5.0l v8. The 14 they supercharged v6. I'd take the 8! Especially if the 14 doesn't have the HD package as they eliminated the two speed transfer case in 14 except on jd package trucks. Prior all had the two speed transfer case and hd added full size spare and rear locking diff.

They both have the HD package. I'm leaning towards the 13 due to budget. With the extra money save by purchasing the 13, I would be able purchase new tires and wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles