Potential 1999 Tacoma Build

ditchdoctor

Due to some life changes and trying to simplify I found myself getting out of my 2014 Tacoma and into a 1999 Tacoma Xtra Cab. It has the 2.7 3RZ with a W59 5-speed behind it. It was traded in to a local dealer from the original owner and had all the services since new performed at Toyota. High miles at 240,000 but it runs and drives excellent. I'm looking at putting some money into this rig for exploring/camping off the beaten path here in the Pacific Northwest and was looking for some pointers/opinions on where to start. The truck is stock other than 31x10.5 Goodyear Duratracs. I've given the truck a tune-up and it has excellent compression in all cylinders. What would you start with? Suspension, winch, bumpers/armor, motor swap, sell it and buy something else??? Love to hear some thoughts. Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JLee

Adventurer
What do you want to do with it? You might be surprised where you could go with a stock truck.

v_man

Explorer
A simple lock-right auto locker in the rear is probably the cheapest bang-for-your-buck off road modification you can do ... after that I'd do a mild lift , beat on the 31's until they're gone , and get a camper shell so you can sleep in the back .

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
V_man hit it pretty much on the head with what I'd do. Only thing I would add is a winch and some sliders. Don't even have to get a big bumper, a hidden winch would do; probably what I'll be doing once I get my winch back from warn is going with a hidden type setup. I just don't see the need for a bumper with what I do and like the simplistic look of it.

JLee

Adventurer
V_man hit it pretty much on the head with what I'd do. Only thing I would add is a winch and some sliders. Don't even have to get a big bumper, a hidden winch would do; probably what I'll be doing once I get my winch back from warn is going with a hidden type setup. I just don't see the need for a bumper with what I do and like the simplistic look of it.

Without knowing what he's doing with the truck, I find it difficult to recommend a winch. Is it nice to have one, sure - but depending on his intended use (and locale/weather), he might be better off with maxtrax or tire chains. :p

I like spending time in Baja, so for me I'd prioritize a high end suspension with minimal lift.

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
Without knowing what he's doing with the truck, I find it difficult to recommend a winch. Is it nice to have one, sure - but depending on his intended use (and locale/weather), he might be better off with maxtrax or tire chains. :p

I like spending time in Baja, so for me I'd prioritize a high end suspension with minimal lift.

I do agree with you however if Oregon is anything like when I was in Washington, once you leave the gravel roads if it rained at all recently it got real interesting real quick and made hunting and fishing rather adventurous haha. I like maxtrax, I have some, I've used them, but the price is a little steep. If I was going to put out that kind of money again I would just buy a winch and some tire chains or never wheel a lone also. Also like you said, just nice to have one :ylsmoke:

JLee

Adventurer
I do agree with you however if Oregon is anything like when I was in Washington, once you leave the gravel roads if it rained at all recently it got real interesting real quick and made hunting and fishing rather adventurous haha. I like maxtrax, I have some, I've used them, but the price is a little steep. If I was going to put out that kind of money again I would just buy a winch and some tire chains or never wheel a lone also. Also like you said, just nice to have one :ylsmoke:

I've been waiting for the MAXSA traction mats to go on sale again on Amazon. They were down to $108/pair and I didn't buy any. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles