Potable Water Can?

Storz

Explorer
What do you guys recommend for 5 gallon potable water containers? Looked at Scepter but I see some complaints about the new spout leaking. Any other suggestions?

Thanks ?

Cayenne-958-TDI

Have had no issues with our Scepter 20l cans 8 years and 112k mostly off-road miles.
We have two mounted on our Wilco Hitchgate. To dispense water we use Scepter's water container spout.
Friends with Rotopax have had issues, glad we went with Scepter!
Otis & Guy trip.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
What do you guys recommend for 5 gallon potable water containers? Looked at Scepter but I see some complaints about the new spout leaking. Any other suggestions?

Thanks ?

the are two Scepter 20L containers, the military version and the civilian version that is trapazoid shaped. If buying Scepter, buy the military cans (2 for $80 on Amazon) And search the forum here for modifying a cap for pressurization. If you‘re cheap, the Reliance 7Gal containers sold at REI and Walmart are serviceable.

robert

Expedition Leader
Heck if I know, I'm still using a couple of old blue Coleman cube style and a dark blue upright plastic container (Jerry can style). Probably got BPAs or whatever cancer causing agents they banned but like the Energizer bunny, they just keep going and going so I still use one or more of them, usually the Jerry can style. I've been known to buy the 3gal water cubes in the grocery and just toss them in a recycling bin when done as well; they leak when you punch a vent hole in them but a piece of electrical tape fixes that as long as you don' squeeze the container.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
I often carry up to 50 gals of water for back country and desert basecamps.

You can get the same heavy duty military jug as the Scepter MWC from LCI (USA) at $23.99 ea - they contract with the military too: Water Can 5 Gal; they have them in Olive Drab and Desert Tan. I've had a set of them for four years with absolutely no problem. One I got from military surplus with a Marine div stencil, the other three were brand new from LCI. Same exact jugs. Very stout, rugged; can stand on them when on their sides. I bet I could drive my trailer over one. I know tons of guys with these from LCI.

Buying from LCI also supports their goal to "help create career opportunities for people who are blind and disabled." I think they have free shipping over $50 or something, and they oftentimes give a new customer discount as well.

I experimented in depth with o-rings for these a few years ago and found the MWCs do not need o-rings/gaskets, though the MFCs do. I think folks see the MFCs using gaskets and assume the MWCs need them too. They do not.

watersanitize_1699-900.jpg

I also have the Lifesaver 5 Gal (the one I have is blue) that I keep for times I need to filter/sanitize, and a Front Runner 5gal with a tap inset at a bottom corner (that I upgraded to a bronze tap); very handy around camp. I keep the MWCs for water storage on extended adventures, the FRO on one fender of my trailer for quick rinse of hands etc. It is also very handy for filling the water tank on my trailer. I set it in place, bungee it so I don't have to babysit it, and go do something else.

fro-jerry_1167-900.jpeg
frjerry-wspout_08691028-900.jpeg
Also very handy to keep spring water in for coffee and cooking when your potable water is questionable or overly mineral-tasting, is a 2gal clear jug meant for ice-tea in the fridge. Because it is clear, though, you need to keep an eye on bacteria and algae growth after a while. The dark containers prevent that.

From the US Navy: "To sanitize containers and utensils, mix 1 tablespoon Regular Clorox Bleach with one gallon of water. Always wash and rinse items first, then let each item soak in Clorox Bleach Sanitizing Solution for 2 minutes. Drain and air dry."

springwater_1163-728.jpg

Last edited:

greg.potter

Adventurer
I have been using scepter cans with ball pump siphons and highly recommend both. Simple, dependable and effective! I typically carry 2 water cans and a ceramic hand pump water filter for replenishing form streams or rivers.

The ball pump end goes into the can. Open the dispensing ball valve at the other end. Operate the pump by bobbin the hose up and down. When the water level in the hose approaches the valve, close the valve. Drop the ball valve end down below the water level in the can and the siphon is on. Open and close the valve as required to dispense water. The most practical simple solution that I have come across so far.

JAGMTE makes a nice kit complete with the hose, pump, ball valve and modified pour hole cap that the hose passes through, or you can buy all the bits and pieces and make up your own. I have done it both ways and if I end up needing another one for some reason I will definitely just buy the kit.

Scepter_Can_&_Siphon.jpg

acg

Adventurer
This works great with my Scepter water can. No need to tilt a heavy Scepter can anymore. It fits exactly into the mouth of the Scepter can:

I have been using scepter cans with ball pump siphons and highly recommend both. Simple, dependable and effective! I typically carry 2 water cans and a ceramic hand pump water filter for replenishing form streams or rivers.

The ball pump end goes into the can. Open the dispensing ball valve at the other end. Operate the pump by bobbin the hose up and down. When the water level in the hose approaches the valve, close the valve. Drop the ball valve end down below the water level in the can and the siphon is on. Open and close the valve as required to dispense water. The most practical simple solution that I have come across so far.

JAGMTE makes a nice kit complete with the hose, pump, ball valve and modified pour hole cap that the hose passes through, or you can buy all the bits and pieces and make up your own. I have done it both ways and if I end up needing another one for some reason I will definitely just buy the kit.

View attachment 654456
Thanks for sharing that. That is the one I have been considering as I hate lifting a full can for a cup of water. I can leave the can in the mount and never have to lift it. I bought 8 LCI cans years ago to spread out among the family. They have done wonders for us. Main thing to remember about them is to not over tighten the cap. Hand tighten only. Never use a wrench to tighten. The wrench is for loosening ONLY.

Speaking of mounts. I love these mounts.

Here is info about the difference between Scepter and LCI water cans. Late model Scepter post 2018 have an O'Ring from the factory.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have 6 of the 20L that are brown and 2 of the 10L that are blue and 2 that are brown. I carry the 2 10L brown ones on a fabricated holder on the RR and the 2 blue inside the vehicle. Unless going out for a very long time the 20L stay home.
Got them from Lexington Container Co. Their shipping is excellent and have no issues with leakage in several years. I carry them vertically so haven't thought of leaks lately.
I could have purchased other containers but these seem to be the best for me and easy to fab holders for them that also double as petrol can holders if required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles