post your Suburban pics

bowstryder

Observer
IMG_20140326_110811_985.jpg
Finally got my rlc welding and fab bumper installed and did a little "snow wheeling" ......... Okay this was back in march when I just got back from afghanland. I have one those shelf-it jobs I got from LMC and LOVE IT! Yes things will bounce out if you are hard wheeling but for everyday use, it can't be beat! Now I just need the money and a good shop to rebuild my (new to me) cucv one tons and find some 37's. Larry....... Let's just trade. ********!

Johnston Robare

Spotted Yukon XL

Sorry to drag us so far off the topic of Suburbans, but check out this cool Yukon XL :sombrero:

20140906_143617.jpg

20140906_143641_sm.jpg

Spotted around town. Has the controversial passenger side flower pot, RPO H1P

Those tires are 285/75/16 and the truck seems at least leveled. Maybe even a rear block?

I love this GMT800! You got your 8.1, you got you 9.25" front diff that can accept a locker, potential for barn doors.

Last edited:

Renntag

Adventurer
I consider the Yukon XL to be a Suburban, am I alone here?

Could I ask for clarification as to what "Potential for Barn Doors" really means?

Many have stated conversion is not possible. Am I missing something?

Nice truck regardless.

Johnston Robare

I consider the Yukon XL to be a Suburban, am I alone here?

Could I ask for clarification as to what "Potential for Barn Doors" really means?

I was just teasing about the Yukon XL being anything but a Suburban. A few generations back, I think it was even called the GMC Suburban.

And by "potential for barn doors," I meant that this age range was available with them and I honestly didn't even look at what the one on the street had. :D

anw7405

Observer
Sorry to drag us so far off the topic of Suburbans, but check out this cool Yukon XL :sombrero:

View attachment 244840

View attachment 244845

Spotted around town. Has the controversial passenger side flower pot, RPO H1P

Those tires are 285/75/16 and the truck seems at least leveled. Maybe even a rear block?

I love this GMT800! You got your 8.1, you got you 9.25" front diff that can accept a locker, potential for barn doors.

This front can accept a locker???? I learn something new every day. Any evidence of this?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
This front can accept a locker???? I learn something new every day. Any evidence of this?

You betcha, go check out ARB's website. Its listed. Several members here have the ARB in their 9.25 GM IFS. Better beef up the front tie rods though!

SARguru

Observer
I use to be a big fan of barn doors, my last 2 trucks (04 and '10 current) have had lift gates. I cant think of any pro's to having the barn door but lots of cons.

1- I could not count how many times i got nailed by a barn door being swung shut by string winds - never happened with a lift gate (0/1 for lift)
2 - exposed hinges on barn doors, had to replace hinges on barn doors, never on tail gate (0/2 for lift)
3 - when it rains, open barn doors allow rain to get into the vehicle, where as the lift gate provides overhead cover (0/3 for lift)
4 - related to 3, i have slept a number of times in the back and with the lift gate, i have option of opening the glass for ventilation (0/4 for lift)
5 - barn doors obstruct the rear view, whereas the lift gate provides unobstructed view (0/5 for lift)
6 - related to 4, with the lift glass, using my key fob, i can pop open the lift glass where as, I have had to climb over the seats because i couldnt open the barn doors from inside (0/6 for lift)

others thoughts on the barn door versus lift gate??

BTW.. anyone have pictures of modified 2007-2014 body style?

Nic
2010 K1500 Suburban

Renntag

Adventurer
Funny, I don't know that I have seen the 2000+ burbs with "delivery option" rear doors.
Cool.

I agree with all of the pros listed above, but there are many cases where the swing of the lift gate (hitting a trailer hitch or hitch mounted carrier) is an issue and is the benefit of quick access allowed by a delivery door.

My 91 tailgate is no where as cool as the 93-99 split gate, or the 2000+ lift gate. Having to put the glass down to open the rear is a pain in the butt and can leave the rear inaccessible.

I'd love to find out what must change to make a 73-91 tailgate burb a delivery model. I think access to a collision manual will be needed to see what welded in replacement panels are available and specific to each option.

Anyone have an older collision book?

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Funny, I don't know that I have seen the 2000+ burbs with "delivery option" rear doors.
Cool.

Barn doors could also be had on GMT800 Tahoes and Yukons too. Barn doors died with the arrival of the GMT900 platform in 2007. Personally, I love barn doors over gates any day. Contrary to barn doors disappearing from Suburban's, sliding side doors on full-size vans have practically all but disappeared while they made side barn doors standard. The world makes no sense!

2001_chevrolet_suburban_1500_z71_3_lgw.jpg

Johnston Robare

Here's the Eaton differential application guide. Page 10 is what we seek.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128302.pdf

It looks like the 9.25" IFS front can accept an ELocker and was used for about 30 years :Wow1:

Larry would have to tell us what version of the 14 bolt is in the rear of a 2500 Burb, but it looks like you could also replace the G80 with a Detroit Locker, Truetrac, Posi, or maybe even an ELocker.

82fb

Adventurer
No arguments here. I have owned a 91, 94, 98 and 01 burb, and a 86 blazer. The 91 and 01 burbs had barn doors, the rest had tailgates. I would take the tailgates any day. Way more convenient for all the reasons you posted, but especially the visibility to the rear.

I use to be a big fan of barn doors, my last 2 trucks (04 and '10 current) have had lift gates. I cant think of any pro's to having the barn door but lots of cons.

1- I could not count how many times i got nailed by a barn door being swung shut by string winds - never happened with a lift gate (0/1 for lift)
2 - exposed hinges on barn doors, had to replace hinges on barn doors, never on tail gate (0/2 for lift)
3 - when it rains, open barn doors allow rain to get into the vehicle, where as the lift gate provides overhead cover (0/3 for lift)
4 - related to 3, i have slept a number of times in the back and with the lift gate, i have option of opening the glass for ventilation (0/4 for lift)
5 - barn doors obstruct the rear view, whereas the lift gate provides unobstructed view (0/5 for lift)
6 - related to 4, with the lift glass, using my key fob, i can pop open the lift glass where as, I have had to climb over the seats because i couldnt open the barn doors from inside (0/6 for lift)

others thoughts on the barn door versus lift gate??

BTW.. anyone have pictures of modified 2007-2014 body style?

Nic
2010 K1500 Suburban

plumber mike

Adventurer
I had a rear window motor go bad on an 86 tailgate Sub with a full load of stuff on moving day......not cool. Every blazer I had was same thing, and when they did work they were slow.

My wife's "hatchback" tahoe is on it's second set of gas struts already and......

Barn Doors don't need electricity to work:coffeedrink:

plumber mike

Adventurer
image.jpg
I did finally break the barn doors on this workhorse. It has a generic gate hasp now:victory:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 63

Renntag

Adventurer
Barn doors could also be had on GMT800 Tahoes and Yukons too. Barn doors died with the arrival of the GMT900 platform in 2007. Personally, I love barn doors over gates any day. Contrary to barn doors disappearing from Suburban's, sliding side doors on full-size vans have practically all but disappeared. ...

2001_chevrolet_suburban_1500_z71_3_lgw.jpg

Well there you go. I prefer the delivery doors too.
Given automatic sliders on mini vans, I'd guess that the side slider will return to the suburban some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles