post your Suburban pics

rayra

Expedition Leader
Still spending more time fiddling with them than I do off-pavement.

Prepping the Tahoe for private sale, missus decided she wanted something newer and better MPG, managed to score a ridiculous deal on a 'Used' 2018 Chevy Equinox that only had 220mi on it. Dealer ate all the depreciation on a car that only rolled off the assembly line ~90days ago. Was a dealer loaner car, which this dealer always lists as 'Used' (required to, really), but they don't usually get sold until they have 3-5k mi on them. They were nonplussed that we found and jumped on it so soon.
So that's pretty much the end of my fiendishly clever plan to have two GMT800 SUVs at the same time

Stock 2011 Z71 1500 G80 which replaced our beloved 2000 GMC Yukon XL 4x4 G80, sold with over 250k miles

The Suburban/Yukon XL has been the best platform for our family of 5 +retriever, for daily use and week long unsupported expeditions. The Burb gets used daily to haul up to 600lbs of medical equipment and on weekends and holidays as our expedition vehicle into Anza Borrego, Big Bear, Johnson Valley, Colorado, Utah, etc. The first three pics below are of our 3 day trip on the White Rim Trail. The last pic is a weekend day trip to Anza Borrego, Dos Cabezas Railway station ruins.

Overlanding Mods:
Custom Mohave Creosote Bush Pinstripes
Ubiquitous GMT900 Cracked Dash
265/75-18 (33.5x10.5) Michelin LTX M/S2 Tires... decent tires for daily driving, wet roads, light snow and Forest roads
DIY 2 drawer system: Used weekly for runs to Costco and converts to a handy camp kitchen for expeditions
Cobra HH 38 WX ST Hanheld 40 Channel CB Radio with Weather and Realistic External Magnet Base Whip Antenna
LED battery powered light mounted to the rear hatch
Go Pro mount on the rear view mirror
DIY Bamboo Pole Tarp... The poles double as tripods for our lantern, Hammock stand and were surprisingly useful as a wind break during 20+ mph overnight winds on the cliffs near Gooseberry Camp in Canyon Lands NP.
Coleman 2 burner stove and 10x10 tent
60qt Coleman Extreme ice chest: use 4lb dry ice for up to 5 days of near frozen water and food

Future Plans:
FOX Coilover leveling front shocks and Fox rear shocks
35" All Terrain Tires... Michelin's are holding up surprisingly well to the SoCal desert terrain, we frequent
Aux battery
12v refrigerator

RTT vs Trailer Leaning towards an off-road utility trailer with a rack to mount an RTT. I haul 2 dual sport motos with a hitch carrier. The burb hauls them fine, power wise I almost don't know they are there, but 520lb on the rear hitch makes steering "light" causing an understeer condition especially noticeable on mountain roads.

IMG_3290.JPG IMG_3312.JPG IMG_3363.JPG IMG_3864.JPG

Last edited:
Did you do the build or buy it like that? I know they aren’t cheap! You got an awesome set up!
We had Duraburb do the motor swap for us. I provided all the parts both the Yukon and the donor truck, as well as doing a lot of prep work to save on $$. Duraburb does a great job. They know what they are doing when it comes to getting the motor into these rigs. And everything works (including rear AC/heat, dual fuel tank setup, transfercase shifter). It's been a great rig and have nearly 20k miles on it since the swap. The truck has 209k total (135k on the powertrain).

Duraburb builds these. They swap the suburban a 3/4 ton duramax chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think Duraburb swaps the chassis, they start with a clean 2500 Suburban or Yukon XL and swap in the Duramax motor and 6 speed tranny. I've seen a few for sale around here, typically they go for ~$15k or so.

All the ones I've seen for sale have been GMT800 platforms. I guess they probably could do a GMT900 as well but 2500's are easier to find on the GMT800 platform.

AFAIK GM never made a 2500 Suburban on the current K2XX platform. I read a couple years ago that GM was supposed to be making a very limited number of 3500 Suburbans for sale to special customers. My assumption is that these will be used as the basis for armored limousines, probably sold to government agencies and/or very wealthy customers who need such things.

Duraburb builds these. They swap the suburban a 3/4 ton duramax chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think Duraburb swaps the chassis, they start with a clean 2500 Suburban or Yukon XL and swap in the Duramax motor and 6 speed tranny. I've seen a few for sale around here, typically they go for ~$15k or so.

All the ones I've seen for sale have been GMT800 platforms. I guess they probably could do a GMT900 as well but 2500's are easier to find on the GMT800 platform.

AFAIK GM never made a 2500 Suburban on the current K2XX platform. I read a couple years ago that GM was supposed to be making a very limited number of 3500 Suburbans for sale to special customers. My assumption is that these will be used as the basis for armored limousines, probably sold to government agencies and/or very wealthy customers who need such things.
Correct.
The powertrain from the donor pickup is swapped into the suburban chassis. As well as several interior components (cluster, tcase shifter, and trans shifter if necessary), the fuel return cooler and crossmember to support the Allison. There is some electrical changes that are made by re-pinning some connectors, installing the second battery tray and I’m sure I’m missing some other things. Chassis wise, a lot of components between the suburban and pickups are compatible like the suspension, steering and brakes. It’s not a hard swap but takes time and knowledge around electrical and making sure the computers are happy with each other.
The reason I went with a Eric, first his reputation for a solid product, but also because I’m in California I needed to be sure it was pass emissions requirements and Eric had done several California smog compliant rigs in the past. And it paid off. State of CA issues a BAR engine label which allows it to be smog tested as if it were a 2006 3500 pickup with an LBZ engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro