Post your sleeping set ups!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I did pretty much the same, except I used cargo attach loops and 6" tiurnbuckles to secure the platform to the tub "

IMG_0614_zpsba5f662a.jpg

IMG_0612_zpsd606d0a5.jpg

IMG_0616_zps1a11ac35.jpg

I used Sec. 40 1-1/2"/8" lg, pipe and caps for strong, LIGHT platform support-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Jimbo, Grasscat's design for the main platform (yes, it's his) does use the 4 OE tie downs in the bed to mount to.

grasscat's bed is nearly a single full length bed with a much shorter 'folding' section. Alternatively mine is a 3 piece folding platform designed to allow me to keep the 2nd row rear bench.

Vgreen, how much weight have you put on the platform? I've had 2 adults sleeping on it totalling probably 350lbs or so. On trail I have my ARB 50qt fridge on it. It's survived rugged rock crawling trails and higher speed overlanding jumps. If the thicker ply supports that it may definitely be a decent alternative to the 1/2" ply.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Any info you guys have regarding your builds for the rear cargo area platforms would be super appreciated, as it was mentioned I'll likely be building this in a lowes parking lot.

So far it look I will need a hack saw and a drill.

Vgreen, how did you attach the PVC tube to the plywood? or is it just pinched in place by the turnbuckles? I will likely set this up as a platform and leave it like that until I get back home, then work on making it somewhat collapse able

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I got my attach loops from Harbor Freight and used one above/one below for the turnbuckle attach points-

I attached the 1-1/2" sec. 40 (PCV) pipe caps to the underside of the plywood, using 1" #12-wood screws and didn't use adhesive, to make for easier platform/individual pipe removal-

I use the stock cargo attachment loops for the turnbuckle base points-

IMG_0614_zpsba5f662a.jpg

The rear two and forward two are attached, forward of that are three 6" stanchions using the folded rear seats as base-

In my jeep it makes for a 70" sleeping platform--not quite long enough, but any port ina storm !

Don't forget, mines a jeep, but the platform principles are the same-I removed the backseat and headrest portions of the rear seats

IMG_0615_zps538f0753.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Any info you guys have regarding your builds for the rear cargo area platforms would be super appreciated, as it was mentioned I'll likely be building this in a lowes parking lot.
My PVC tubes are simply pinched in place by the turnbuckles. Also for the top turnbuckles bolts, I swapped those out for 4 carraige bolts which come down through the wood platform so no extra luggage loops are needed on the platform.

As for building it in your parking lot... Assuming you get Lowes to cut the wood down to the proper size and you can hand saw the round corners (battery operated jig saw would be good for this), then the only other thing you'll need is a drill for the holes. If you carpet them then a utility knife to cut your carpet down to size plus a staple gun or hammer with carpet tacks will also be needed.
I can probably take better pics of the platform and post them up this weekend. Just let me know what part is unclear...

HTH...

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Thanks for the help guys! I will likely be limited to hand tools, since I wont be sending any power tools on the plane with me and dont plan to buy any from lowes just to build this.

Off-Roader, it would be helpful to see pictures of the front half of your set up, trying to visualize how it sits and is fastened/supported isnt working in my head, the more detail you guys can offer, the better.

My girl and I will be sleeping in this for the better part of 8 nights, so I'll need to build it quick and make it stable. :D :D

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Will do... The front is supported by the 2nd row seats folded down and a couple of long pieces of 1.5" I.D. pvc pipe. To keep the pvc pipe in place, I put a couple of 8" long carriage bolts through the front most board just when I have the pvc pipe there. otherwise everything is folded back and the 2nd row seats are up/open/useable. Stay tuned for pics / video tomorrow.

vgreen

Putting the G in RGB
Offroader,

I have not had much weight on it yet, just myself and the dog, but it seems very stiff. I have the turnbuckles cranked down pretty hard, and there isn't a bow to the board yet. I honestly would have gone with the 1/2 board, but got such a good deal on the 3/4 with a smooth top. I am happy it happened that way now. It weighs a couple pounds more, but this is my daily and the family cargo hauler, so will get weight tested eventually. Probably with more supplies from Lowes!

IncorpoRated,

I have my PVC pinched in place just like Off-Roader. I saw another member make something similar, but he cut holes in the side of his PVC pillars, and actually ran the turnbuckles through them. He then used the holes he cut to tighten it down. Pretty slick.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Offroader,

I have not had much weight on it yet, just myself and the dog, but it seems very stiff. I have the turnbuckles cranked down pretty hard, and there isn't a bow to the board yet. I honestly would have gone with the 1/2 board, but got such a good deal on the 3/4 with a smooth top. I am happy it happened that way now. It weighs a couple pounds more, but this is my daily and the family cargo hauler, so will get weight tested eventually. Probably with more supplies from Lowes!
Ok, just curious.

IncorpoRated,

I have my PVC pinched in place just like Off-Roader. I saw another member make something similar, but he cut holes in the side of his PVC pillars, and actually ran the turnbuckles through them. He then used the holes he cut to tighten it down. Pretty slick.
i think you saw Grasscat's bed. That's how he did his. Mine was originally the same way but I moved them out of the pipes because the turnbuckles would sometimes come undone and trying to reattach them inside the PVC pipe was a pain at best... Especially on the trail while everyone is waiting on you...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
OK, here are the pics...

First the rear most support. The other 3 are done the same way. Originally we put the turnbuckle inside the pvc pipe which has holes drilled into it but I found it too difficult to tighten it properly so I did it this way instead.
DSC02533.jpg

The left pic below shows the front supporting pvc pipe in place. The driver seat needs to be tilted & moved forward as is the passenger seat.
The right pic below shows the 5/16" dia carriage bolt (~8" long) raised up just a bit so you can tell what it is. The carriage bolt is there so the front pvc pieces stay under the platform.
DSC02535.jpgDSC02537.jpg

Here's a pic underneath showing the wood side supports (cut down 2x4s) that are bolted to the 3rd row seat mounting holes.
DSC02538.jpg

View of the platform folded back. You can see the piano hinges as well as the exterior grade carpets covering the wood and last but not least an old school marine blanket/tarp I keep in the rig to use as needed.
DSC02540.jpg

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
No problem Benny. You prob thought it was a general "sleeping platform" pic request.

IncorpoRated did the pics help? It's really a very simple setup not requiring a lot of fab work. Notice i rounded the 4 corners (because the rear is rounded) and otherwise it wouldn't clear the vehicle corners when folded back. I also had to slightly narrow what i call the "waist section" so it can clear the roof corners when folding it).

Aesthetically, I carpeted it using exterior grade low pile carpet from either Home Depot or Lowes. Brown on the exposed sides when opened up and black on the exposed side when folded back.

HTH.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 21

grandpa

Hey Off-roader,
Because your platform is high enough to go over the folded rear seats, does the space between the platform and the roof feel cramped? I'm thinking about removing the rear seats so I can get a lower platform with more head room.
Thanks.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yes and no. I can barely sit up in it & I'm only 5'5"-5'6" but then again its really just for sleeping and it makes an awesome storage divider since bad guys can't see what I'm carrying back there & they're less likely to break in for something.

Alternatively Grasscat's setup (below) offers a lot more headroom since he removes his seats when he puts the platform in.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier