• PC150154.JPG
    PC150154.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 26
  • PC150163.JPG
    PC150163.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 36

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
The Cobra in my XJ. Wanted to go overhead, between the visors, but this XJ has the overhead display there. (temp/direction/mpg)

newjeepxj001-1.jpg

Had the mic on a 'mirror clip', but have since put mic mount on the dash.

newjeepxj004.jpg

The CJ's is mounted overhead, on the full cage, dead center. The mic is on a retractable cord. Not the best pic:snorkel: but you can see the mic cord:elkgrin:

openhouse08003.jpg

Expedition Leader
Yaesu 2800 / Kenwood D710A in an FJ40

Overhead installation for 2M/dual band radios in my Land Cruiser:

Welded a piece of scrap steel on the top of my MetalTech cage when it went together just for this purpose:

FJ40radio003.jpg

Bolted the radio mount to this, using silicone sealer in the holes and under the washers:

FJ40radio007.jpg

FJ40radio004.jpg

Yaesu FT-2800M body mounted:

FJ40radio009.jpg

FJ40radio010.jpg

The power leads and the antenna coax are all routed inside the roll cage. For power supply, I installed a Farkleshop auxiliary fuse block in a Con-Ferr tool box that is right behind the front seats. The fuse block is powered straight from the battery:

IMG_0482.jpg

fuseblock001.jpg

Because the hard top on the 40 goes on and off seasonally, I needed to mount an antenna separately from the top, and not on the roll cage. I decided to fab a mount that would go on my spare tire carrier. This is not an ideal location for ground plane, but has more elevation than the front bumper or the side of the body, and I didn't want to drill a hole in my good tub anyway. The mount is going to go here, on top of the receiver mount for the spare tire, so I drilled and tapped three holes for a sturdy mount:

haminstallFJ40002.jpg

Bent-up some mild steel flat stock; a little trial and error soon had the right angles for the antenna to clear both the spare tire and the tub/hard top and still be level:

haminstallFJ40006.jpg

Welded up a brace and the mount is finished except for paint:

IMG_0538.jpg

Mount painted and installed:

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

Close-up of the heavy-duty (Thick-mount) NMO:

003.jpg

I tried some existing 5/8-wave and 1/4-wave antennas I already had, but there is not enough ground plane for them to tune-up well, so I bought a Larsen 1/2-wave and after a little trimming for length it tuned up nearly perfectly. The Larsen is almost invisible behind the spare tire, yet still has enough elevation above the hard top to perform fairly well:

IMG_0656.jpg

Not long after completing this installation, I bought a Kenwood TM-D710A dual-band radio, primarily for its APRS capability. Because the D710A uses the same power connection and PL-259 antenna connection as the Yaesu 2800, swapping out the head units between the two is easy, and with a few nylon spacers they can even use the same Yaesu mount. The Kenwood has a detached face plate that cannot be mounted to the head unit, so I mounted it to the front of the roll cage. You can also see that I mounted the mic clip to the roll cage also:

2012.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with this installation. On a week-long trip through Hotel Rock, the Abajo Mountains, Dark/Peavine/Ruin Canyons, and the Needles District of Canyonlands, I beaconed APRS the entire trip and was able to hit the Monticello repeater almost all the time, except when down in the canyon bottoms.

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I don't need pics of my CJ! Mine is mounted exactly like 1911's above!:elkgrin:

Very nice, clean install 1911 !! I thought bout routing the wires in my rollcage, but in the interest of integrity, I decided to run them along the tubing, going back along the center tubes, and down the driver side of the "B" leg of the 6 point cage.

So far, I've had no damage to the wiring. I have the bottom stretch in wire loom for extra protection.

Still looking into getting an HF set up, one more hobby to spend money on!:coffeedrink:

Expedition Leader
I don't need pics of my CJ! Mine is mounted exactly like 1911's above!:elkgrin:

Great minds think alike! :)

Very nice, clean install 1911 !! I thought bout routing the wires in my rollcage, but in the interest of integrity, I decided to run them along the tubing, going back along the center tubes, and down the driver side of the "B" leg of the 6 point cage.

The holes I drilled for wires are quite small. In any event, I (unfortunately) had a field test of my roll cage strength last May in the bottom of Peavine Canyon in southern Utah; a creek bank caved way as I was attempting to climb out (less than perpendicular approach angle didn't help) and I flopped all the way down the creek bank on my side. The MetalTech cage was completely un-deformed by the fall or the recovery of winching on the cage to right my truck.

Still looking into getting an HF set up, one more hobby to spend money on!:coffeedrink:

Me too; ain't that the truth!

theksmith

Explorer
goals:

- hidden main radio body
- hidden external speaker
- easy access without further clutter of dash area (already i have too much stuff there)
- balanced look with other electronics mods
- allow easy upgrade to the 710 later to get APRS
- eventual tie-in with carputer for on-screen APRS plotting and other features

full details of install are here: http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=920

Last edited:

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
My contribution:

Here you can see the CB Antenna on the Front Bumper, the dual bander on the middle of the hood. and the HF Antenna Base right below the passenger rear view mirror.
DSC_0236.jpg

Overhead Console with the 2 Radios. The rear radio is the Yaesu 857D HF-VHF-UHF. The front one is an ICOM V8000 VHF only. Antenna in on the rear of the LC.
DSC_0229.jpg

External Speaker for the 857D
DSC_0254.jpg

Dashboard with the 857D front Panel and the CB.
DSC_0252.jpg

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
My install in the tundra. Top switches are left and right offroad lights,second battery solinode engagement for emergency jumpstart,reading map light,compressor off/on,radios off and on the other two will not discuss function of those. Next componet down is self explantary I only use the PA,airhorn and external radio functions,siren buttons are deprogrammed. Next radio is 800mgz radio,below that is a lowband radio and then a Yeasu ft8900r ham radio.The radio by the rear view mirror is vhf highband.All radios are mounted behind the rear seat.Antenna shots will come later. There is also a cb radio by cobra weather x radio mounted but not shown.

Attachments

• Mojave Road 11-2-10 287.jpg
    Mojave Road 11-2-10 287.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Mojave Road 11-2-10 288.jpg
    Mojave Road 11-2-10 288.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Mojave Road 11-2-10 289.jpg
    Mojave Road 11-2-10 289.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 19

ki4iwd

Adventurer
love those spectra radios i have a astro spectra hi band that i changed out the vco's in and use it for my 2 m rig.i also use a modified astro consolette for my 2m base on a 55' tower with a folded diapole antenna, just a pain to program with all possible 2m freqs. like the use of the dek box to control your relays for your lights etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles