Post your camping / gear lists!

gillti

Adventurer
Here's to hoping some of you guys are close to me when I forget my bread maker and DVD player!:)[/QUOTE said:
LOL.

Seriously though, thanks for all the ideas. We are spending a few days at the beach and we have been modifying some of your camping lists to fit our needs. Very helpful to have a template to work from. Thanks everybody.
tjg:wings: :wings: :wings:

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
If you're curious, here's my Winter SAR Checklist. My Spring/Summer/Fall list is the same with the exception of a modified clothing checklist.

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
My new pack list

It just so happens that this thread inspired me to make a new list.
I used my old list and some of the lists here.
Most important for me is where it goes in my chaos of truck and trailer so I have a load plan for each of the items. It needs to get more specific but it is a start,

Elliot Press

Observer
My list of gear I actually own is probably to long to fit on the interweb.

But here's what I actually take on most trips.

Swag and sleeping bag.
Army mess tin and hexy stove.
Packs of noodles.
Multitool.
Surfboard.
Wetsuit.

Less fuss. More fun.

We put approx 20,000 miles per year traveling in the truck. I'm prepping now for our first trip of the year. We're leaving next week for the Chihuahuan Desert (TX). I plan to kill this coming weekend building a storage rack into the bed of my F150. Should be a fun project...

I just started going over our gear (for my wife and I). After several years of packing too much stuff, I've whittled it down a bit.

In the cab:
2 Macbooks & iPhones
Inverter
Sirius Satellite Radio
Garmin Nuvi

Gear in the bed or on the roof:
20'x10' EZ Up (Kenda Team Issue)
10'x10' outdoor carpet
propane heater
Marmot Thor tent
REI mummy bags (2)
Air Matress
Coleman 2 burner stove
camp cooking kit
5 gal H2O cans (4)
Solar Shower
Coleman cooler (2) filled with Bells Beer
Xantrex Powerpack 1500
Aux. camp lights w/10W CFL bulbs (2)
Camp Chairs (2)
Aluminium Folding tables (2)
NiteRider TriNewt lighting system (2)
5gal bucket (2)
Bike tool kit/box
bike repair stand
bike floor pump
power washer (5 gal)
Tomac Carbide Mtb (Kenda Team issue 09....the wife's)
Quiring Custom 29er Hardtail (mine)
mass quantities of food, Clif Bars and eLoad

Of course, my wife has massive amounts of clothing (several duffles), and I have one small duffle, for every trip. If I could get her to pack lighter I could fit some more gear in the truck.....

We've been looking at expedition trailers, and I hope to put one together by next year. I'd like to get all the gear out of the truck so we're more mobile after setting up our camp or when we set up a pit for the races.

buddha

Adventurer
I plan to kill this coming weekend building a storage rack into the bed of my F150. Should be a fun project...
[/url]

Would love to see pictures/plans for this. Also, interested in pics of your truck in general. I'm having a hard time finding F150 Expo rigs. I'm just starting to build up my truck (07 F150) and am on the fence at whether to build a rack to surround the two dog crates that take up most of my bed, or buy a cap/build a floor with storage, and let the dogs ride on top. The cap is more versatile, offers greater storage, and keeps the dogs out of the rain, but I can have a rack welded for cheap....

Thanks for all these lists, guys. I haven't done much camping off the truck yet.... I used to always jump on one of the motorcycles when heading off on a camping trip, which greatly limits what you can take. Now, I've got an infant and a toddler, so am thinking more seriously about truck based camping...

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Great lists...I printed every one and will create a list that fits in my XJ (comprehensive) by taking bits and pieces from each one. Thanks!

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Here's what I've come up with (not everything always goes of course and it looks like WAY more than it packs away as). This is based also on the type of camping that I do and takes future more difficult trips in to account:

Does anyone see any gaps? :coffee:

Camping Checklist

PERSONAL

Socks
Underwear
Shorts
Pants
Tshirts
Sweatshirt
Jacket
Hat
Beanie
Sunglasses
Wallet
Keys
Cell phone
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Zantac
Excedrin
Deoderant
Toilet Paper
Sunscreen
First Aid kit

KITCHEN

Wooden spoon
Serving spoon
Spatula and long fork
Tongs
Strike anywhere matches
Dish Towel
Lighter fluid
Lighter
Sponge
Zip lock bag
Plastic containers
Plastic plates
Cups
Silverware
Biodegradable trash bags
Biodegradable soap
Cutting sheet
Paper towels
Big pot, little pot, pan
Pancake griddle

FOOD

Assorted canned goods
Pancake mix
Velveeta Mac n Cheese
Granola bars
Oatmeal
Choice of meats like
Steaks
Hot Dogs
Burgers
Chicken
Shrimp
Potatoes
Onion
Bell Pepper
Eggs
Milk
Soda
Pasta and sauce
Cholula
Spices and seasoning
Lemon
Juice
Liquor/Beer
Bottle/can opener
Scissors
Coffee pot
Hot Coco
Oatmeal
Veggie oil
PAM oil spray
Twist ties
Ice

BASE CAMP

Tent
Sleeping bags/blankets/pillows
Lantern
Extra propane bottles
Mesquite charcoal
Flashlight
Camp chairs
5 gallons water
Firewood
Tarp
Extra flashlight batteries
Guide/maps
Bug spray
Multi-tool
Gloves
Water purifier
Rope (to string up lantern)
Cooler
Folding table
Compass
Binoculars

JEEP XJ

Duct Tape
5 gal Jerry can
Funnel
Shovel
Fire extinguisher
Power inverter
Service manual
Tools in toolbox
Hi-lift jack
Tow straps (w/ ratchet)
Axe
Zip ties
Oil/gear oil/ATF/rad fluid
Tire guage
Air compressor
Spare fuses
Serpentine Belt

frumpy

Explorer
Wow, some pretty big lists here. This is what I take with me (usually for 2-4 days)

Tarp (x2)
para cord
lighter (x2)
coleman stove
lantern
glow sticks
chairs (x2)
bug spray
mosquito coils
flashlights (mini mag and big mag)
pot/frying pan
forks/knives/plates/cups
outdoor carpet
biodegradable soap
grill (for over the fire)
poncho (x2)
cooler
case of water (for drinking) and 20L water can (washing/cooking)

no tent since my jeeps set up to sleep in

CSG

Explorer
A little gear, a little food, and some water. What, specifically, depends on what vehicle I'm in and where I'm going.

Oh, and a little booze no matter where. :D

Seriously, I travel light and don't load up like some of you guys do. I'm essentially "backpacking" with a vehicle.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
It seems like the older I get, the longer my list gets. When I was younger I could make do with minimal things. As I get older, I realize that unless it's fun, I don't really want to do it. Now I'm not talking about bringing a TV or computer or anything like that. Little things like a hot shower, more comfortable bedding, nicer chairs, better food, better cooking utensils, etc.

I guess all that counts is that we still "get out there".

Mamontof

Explorer
That what i take for my Solo 9000 miles trip http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/Aleksii/?action=view&current=SDC12754.jpg
5 gallons of potable water for shower , 2 x 2.5 G drink water
Shower
cups
Coleman gas grill
12 v coffee maker and 12 v stove work as a charm , you drive and your rise and beans cook well , add meat , put spicy make a misso sup and you have a full meal (yes i forgets , you mast nay clean ).
1 medium pot one small pot
small charcoal grill and charcoal
12 v cooler full of Food
Several bottles of California Vine
Well that my diner at Sequoya NP this September http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/Aleksii/?action=view&current=6GodHelpGoodpersontime2time.jpg

Aleksii

Aleksii

mmp22

Your lists were very helpful. Some of them a little too much "stuff" since needs to be room for me to sleep in the back of my Jeep TJ.

This spring and summer I am planning several road trips to do some hiking. Since I am economically conservative (aka:cheap) I am planning on using my TJ as a hotel room. From May to August I plan on spending 45+ days in the Jeep. In the spring going to Blue Ridge Pkwy and Great Smokey Mts. The summer it is off to Carlsbad Caverns, Yosemite, Crater Lake, Mount Rainier, and finally Yellowstone.

I am NOT going wheeling on these adventures. Just getting a chance to take a road trip and do some day hikes.

I believe that I have the sleeping issues resolved so now just working on checklist of what to bring. Thus, would appreciate some advise from those that have gone on numerous wheeling/camping trips with their Jeeps.

Pillows, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, GPS unit, beverage cooler with top tray to act as a mini-fridge, clothes, flashlight, and money.

I was wondering if anyone has used the magnascreens so can roll down windows and still keep bugs out.

Anyone use any type of LED lantern for evening reading?

Is it better to bring a power converter and use electric skillet for simple things like eggs/bacon, hamburgers, etc. or should I get a portable camping grill?

mosupernak

Adventurer
Wow there are some impressively long lists on here. I'm heading on my first long (30day) overland trip in a few months. We'll take a few of these longer lists with us and check off the "wish I had this" items we left at home for next time. I really like the 12v blender for margs idea! Cheers

Heathens

The only time I make an actual list and check it off is when preparing for week long or longer trips. Weekend trips I can practically pack the truck in my sleep. Depending on the trip, our list can include any or all of these items:

• Coleman stove
  • MSR Whisperlite stove
  • Fuel for stove(s)
  • MSR pots and pans
  • Griddle for pancakes (yum!)
  • Various kitchen items (included spices, can opener, plates, eating utensils, etc.) packed in a small Action Packer
  • Camp chairs
  • Canoe paddles
  • Tent, ground cloth, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and pillows in larger Action Packer
  • Canoe chairs
  • PFD's
  • Firewood
  • Coolers with food, soda, beer, Gatorade, beer, bottled water, etc.
  • Kelty sunshade (more for rain cover then shade)
  • Dog bed, food, food dish, water dish
  • Clothes and personal items of course
  • 7 gallons of fresh water (will be carrying more for longer trips)
  • Canoe
  • Fishing poles and small tackle bag

Most of our kitchen/cooking items stay packed in the small Action Packer (we lovingly call it the "small AP") all the time so that it's practically "plug and play" the night before we leave town. We try to limit our paper product usage to keep trash to a minimum. We have some re-usable plastic plates/bowels and utensils that have their own mesh carrying bag. I think they're made by Eddie Bauer, but they've worked out really good.

Our sleeping bags and pads are taken out of their stuff sacks and stored flat when we're not on a trip, so we always have to re-pack them the night before. The tent and everything else that goes in the large AP stays in the large AP all the time...almost plug and play. Any dry food that doesn't need to stay cold goes in a second smaller AP.

Stuff like my head lamp and various other flashlights, tow strap, shackle, boonie hat, multi-tool, and 7" knife stay in my truck all the time. I usually keep my fishing poles and small tackle bag in there all the time too.

It's far from being a perfect system and sometimes my truck looks like a gear bomb went off in the back, but it usually only takes a few minutes to tidy up. Usually the gear bomb effect only happens if we're staying in once place for several days and camping with several other people. Ideally I'd like to have a system that is more modular and scalable depending on our needs for a particular trip, but I haven't run across anything that I really like yet. Since my truck is my daily driver, I don't really like leaving it packed and ready to go.
Thanks for sharing this list Dave, much appreciated.

I am not much of a list man myself I kind of always play it by ear...I suppose that's why I'm famous for forgetting important stuff and having to scramble at the last minute. I'm due for a 4 day hike next month and this list will sure help me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94